Ever expierenced this?

Guys, I have been told by a psychologist that I am not deaf...and yet my audiogram was right in front of her stating profoundly deaf!!

Kashveera

I actually still am waiting for my answer, apparently she said to my dad on the phone, that with my exceptional results, I cannot be deaf!! How stupid, I keep on trying to tell people, it doesnt mean to say that if we are deaf we are dumb!!

Kashveera

I actually still am waiting for my answer, apparently she said to my dad on the phone, that with my exceptional results, I cannot be deaf!! How stupid, I keep on trying to tell people, it doesnt mean to say that if we are deaf we are dumb!!

Kashveera

Medical professionals can be very irritating that way...When I was about six, my parents took me to a psyclogical evaluation, and she had left her case reports lying on her desk.

I started reading (upside down) the reports, and she didn't catch on! My mom had to tell her to stow the reports...

Apparently she didn't believe that I could read, much less upside down.

That's not bad...

My GP told my parents 19 years ago, Sorry, your child will never be able to speak...and 19 years later, I go to him and say, hello doc how are you doing, and he just stares at me!!

Maybe I should have stuck with my parents choice of becoming a doctor, at least I won't give wrong information about things!!

Kashveera

That's not bad...

My GP told my parents 19 years ago, Sorry, your child will never be able to speak...and 19 years later, I go to him and say, hello doc how are you doing, and he just stares at me!!

Maybe I should have stuck with my parents choice of becoming a doctor, at least I won't give wrong information about things!!

Kashveera

Doctors are human, therefore, they make mistakes and rely on their assumptions (and we all know the word game with "assume" ;))...

Yeah, thats true, at the end of the day, we aren't God to see things...we make mistakes, that is our most visible characteristic!! of being human!!

I don't blame my doctor, but still he could have encouraged my parents, because they always tell me, he through them to the bottom of the sea, but didn't give any hope to end their turmoil!!

I don't know...

Kashveera

Guys, I have been told by a psychologist that I am not deaf...and yet my audiogram was right in front of her stating profoundly deaf!!

Kashveera

Your psychologist reminds me of my doctor who refused to believe me when I told her I was born deaf and my deafness was not caused by thyroid disease. I came down with that when I was 19. She was certain I had lost my hearing due to thyroid disease. Needless to say, I never came back to her.

There is no history of inherited deafness in my family despite a history of thyroid disease in my family.

hmmm... in public school here (canada) students have terps. They sign what they have been taught since birth. ASL or SEE - if its SEE because most terps here are ASL they both meet in the so called middle and sign PSE.

My son attended public school until 5th grade, when transfered to school for the deaf. He had a terp from K-5 in public school.

Back