Ever called someone on being rude to you?

ladysolitary85

Reaction score
I work at a store and I was doing my paperwork when a customer kept asking me a question about if a product was the only one we had.

I didn't hear anything she had said, I assumed she was still shopping while I was just doing my work.

Then I was alarmed with the woman's yelling at me saying "are you f***ing deaf of something?!?!"

This really hurt my feelings inside but I just gave her a polite smile and told her "actually ma'am, I am half deaf. I apologize for not hearing you."

The look on her face for setting herself up for embarrassment... priceless. She kept apologizing left and right.

I'm not one to be spiteful in situations like that, but working or not working I wont let someone degrade me.

Would love to hear your stories!:giggle:

My 7th grade math teacher gave instructions to the entire class the first day of school (see how vividly I remember these experiences?). I didn't hear the instructions.

The second day of school, I raised my hand and asked to use the pencil sharpener. She went through the roof and got hopping mad at me. "Are you some kind of deaf weirdo?!! I told the entire class yesterday to sharpen your pencils BEFORE CLASS!!!"

Then she saw me cry (hey, I was in the 7th grade and ..... fragile). I was embarrassed, now the whole class knew I was a deaf weirdo. I thought I could hide it.

Of course she apologized when she found out I was HoH. Still hurts like a bitch though. Its been .... 34 years .... I think .... not very good with numbers. Never liked numbers since.

It's funny how they use the word "deaf" to insult a hearing person but never occur to them that this person may actually be deaf? i guess it is because they don't expect deaf people to be there?

I think plenty of us have been told "what's matter with you, deaf or something??" in a insulting way.

I don't like newspapers using "fallen on deaf ears" (do you know how many news a day I get that on my RSS feed???? It's so annoying to read political news when I just want to read about deaf/HOH issues)

This is not exactly rude, but it is in the same spirit as your great story, I think: when we went to China to bring home my newly adopted 1YO, the paperwork accompanying my sweet little bundle had a few notes about what she eats (eats solid food, eggs, noodles, etc.), plays with (favorite toy=music box), and behaviors (sleeps in multi-child crib in dark, can be stubborn: doesn't always listen).

Obviously (and thankfully) they didn't know it or she wouldn't have been included in the adoption program, but it seemed obvious to me after only known her a day, and it lated turned out that she'd been profoundly deaf from birth, so about that stubborn, not listening thing ... :)

Through interpreters and across a couple of provinces, I confronted the orphanage director to some degree (had she been ill, did no one really notice that she was deaf, how had they been communicating with her) but almost lost her back into the system, so backed off fast and sort of 'accommodated' her hearing test required to leave the country with a well-timed nudge here and there.

Apologize with pity to me after found out that I'm deaf, it's rude.

Wirelessly posted (VamPyroX Mobile)

I've had something like that happen to me once.

I was working at a local video rental store. Normally, I can handle phone calls... but some calls can be difficult if the person on the other end speaks really fast or with an accent.

Well, one woman called me and was talking really fast. When I calmly asked her to repeat slower, she screamed loudly and clearly... "What are you... deaf or what!?"

Of course, I gave her a friendly response... "Yes ma'am, I am." I could hear her swallow loudly... then she said, "Oh, sorry..." and hung up. Heh!

Once in a local Walmart I had left through the doors but came right back through and I had a bag with my purchase and receipt in it. The woman that was the store greeter (who was disabled, she had only one leg and was in a wheelchair) was trying to stop me and ask me for my receipt even though she saw me walk out and right back in, I hadn't even gone outside. She kept following me in her wheelchair apparently until she finally yelled at me "hello?? are you deaf or something??"

It was then that I realized she was speaking to me because she was right behind me and I stooped down to her level and I told her "No, I am not Deaf, but I am HOH and I don't appreciate being talked to like that. I also don't appreciate being treated like a criminal. I didn't hear you because you were behind me, and I didn't expect you to be stopping me because you just watched me walk out and back in. How would you like it if I was a co-worker of yours and asked you to "run" something over to customer service for me???"

I reported her to the management even though I am sure it didn't do any good. I am a really nice person and I treat people like they treat me, and if you treat me like crap, you are gonna get crap handed back to you. Oh well. LOL.

Botts, na , DO talk about audist better yet lets talk about jihad style , let machine gun them down !!

My 7th grade math teacher gave instructions to the entire class the first day of school (see how vividly I remember these experiences?). I didn't hear the instructions.

The second day of school, I raised my hand and asked to use the pencil sharpener. She went through the roof and got hopping mad at me. "Are you some kind of deaf weirdo?!! I told the entire class yesterday to sharpen your pencils BEFORE CLASS!!!"

Then she saw me cry (hey, I was in the 7th grade and ..... fragile). I was embarrassed, now the whole class knew I was a deaf weirdo. I thought I could hide it.

Of course she apologized when she found out I was HoH. Still hurts like a bitch though. Its been .... 34 years .... I think .... not very good with numbers. Never liked numbers since.

I can completely understand where your coming from with this. 3rd grade my teacher Mrs. Joke... who wasn't funny at all, outright REFUSED to wear the FM system mic in front of the class so I can hear here. After a little Parent & Teacher meeting... well... Lets just say I wasn't her favorite and ended up spending most of my recesses writing sentences, going to detention for NO REASON at all other than she purely hated me.

It's funny how they use the word "deaf" to insult a hearing person but never occur to them that this person may actually be deaf? i guess it is because they don't expect deaf people to be there?

I think plenty of us have been told "what's matter with you, deaf or something??" in a insulting way.

I don't like newspapers using "fallen on deaf ears" (do you know how many news a day I get that on my RSS feed???? It's so annoying to read political news when I just want to read about deaf/HOH issues)

Yep, that would annoy me too

This is not exactly rude, but it is in the same spirit as your great story, I think: when we went to China to bring home my newly adopted 1YO, the paperwork accompanying my sweet little bundle had a few notes about what she eats (eats solid food, eggs, noodles, etc.), plays with (favorite toy=music box), and behaviors (sleeps in multi-child crib in dark, can be stubborn: doesn't always listen).

Obviously (and thankfully) they didn't know it or she wouldn't have been included in the adoption program, but it seemed obvious to me after only known her a day, and it lated turned out that she'd been profoundly deaf from birth, so about that stubborn, not listening thing ... :)

Through interpreters and across a couple of provinces, I confronted the orphanage director to some degree (had she been ill, did no one really notice that she was deaf, how had they been communicating with her) but almost lost her back into the system, so backed off fast and sort of 'accommodated' her hearing test required to leave the country with a well-timed nudge here and there.

What a blessing! Your so lucky to have that little girl! :D I was always told I wasn't listening, STILL am being told, ugh! At least that little girl has you!

Once in a local Walmart I had left through the doors but came right back through and I had a bag with my purchase and receipt in it. The woman that was the store greeter (who was disabled, she had only one leg and was in a wheelchair) was trying to stop me and ask me for my receipt even though she saw me walk out and right back in, I hadn't even gone outside. She kept following me in her wheelchair apparently until she finally yelled at me "hello?? are you deaf or something??"

It was then that I realized she was speaking to me because she was right behind me and I stooped down to her level and I told her "No, I am not Deaf, but I am HOH and I don't appreciate being talked to like that. I also don't appreciate being treated like a criminal. I didn't hear you because you were behind me, and I didn't expect you to be stopping me because you just watched me walk out and back in. How would you like it if I was a co-worker of yours and asked you to "run" something over to customer service for me???"

I reported her to the management even though I am sure it didn't do any good. I am a really nice person and I treat people like they treat me, and if you treat me like crap, you are gonna get crap handed back to you. Oh well. LOL.

Ohhhh my! If that was me I prolly would of done the same, if not worse. I'd prolly talk to the store manager and district manager. That's only because I am hugeeee on customer service. If I ran a business I wouldn't want my workers to treat others like that. Period.

I had just changed schools and it was my first day in class. The teacher wanted to place in the correct grade for spelling. Since spelling was my best subject and I was a good speller, I requested the highest level because I was confident I knew those words. I did know them. However, when a test came up, the teacher rattled off the words like a machine gun and because I couldn't hear him, I failed miserably (the first time ever) and if that wasn't humiliating enough - the teacher then asked me to prove I was at that level by demanding I spell the words out loud. That is difficult task for me to perform. I struggle with reading anything out loud and spelling words out loud is even worse. I was promptly degraded and put into the lowest spelling level because I didn't do it fast enough. I can still remember vividly all my classmates laughing at me. I was so humiliated. As if going to a new school wasn't difficult enough. The teacher couldn't say that he didn't know I was deaf either, because I was wearing hearing-aids and the teacher had been instructed that I must sit at the front of the class.

I had just changed schools and it was my first day in class. The teacher wanted to place in the correct grade for spelling. Since spelling was my best subject and I was a good speller, I requested the highest level because I was confident I knew those words. I did know them. However, when a test came up, the teacher rattled off the words like a machine gun and because I couldn't hear him, I failed miserably (the first time ever) and if that wasn't humiliating enough - the teacher then asked me to prove I was at that level by demanding I spell the words out loud. That is difficult task for me to perform. I struggle with reading anything out loud and spelling words out loud is even worse. I was promptly degraded and put into the lowest spelling level because I didn't do it fast enough. I can still remember vividly all my classmates laughing at me. I was so humiliated. As if going to a new school wasn't difficult enough. The teacher couldn't say that he didn't know I was deaf either, because I was wearing hearing-aids and the teacher had been instructed that I must sit at the front of the class.

Yep, any time I had to do anything in front of the class I was terrified to do. Nothing is worse than having to feel humiliated just because you don't understand what's being sad and you have to ask the person to repeat themselves. I learned how to lip read real quick.

What an ..... An English teacher did that to me. I think she purposely mumbled and refuse to write anything on board for any instructions. I couldn't figure out what's going on at all and she used it as an excuse to put me in LD English class.

Botts, na , DO talk about audist better yet lets talk about jihad style , let machine gun them down !!

That would be ok I guess. I think you have been missing a little while. Seemed like audist was every second word. :lol:

I am at a point in my life where I am always calling someone on being rude. One thing that really frosts my ass is when someone asks a question and then doesn't even let you answer the question they asked. It is rude to cut someone off mid sentence.

I am at a point in my life where I am always calling someone on being rude. One thing that really frosts my ass is when someone asks a question and then doesn't even let you answ

Is your ass frosted yet?

:lol: j/k!

Yep. Happened again today. We have a f*ckstick in the office that loves to make me feel like shit in front of everyone if I did not catch everything he said.

I have to bite my tongue and restrain myself every time.

There are decent people out there, and plenty of assholes. Karma always comes back to bite.

Back