Europe

prostock19 said:
I went to West Germany (before the wall came down) and France back around....1983 to 1984. Can't remember exactly. All I know was I liked Germany better than France. LOL. I would like to go back again in the future.

I remember when the Berlin Wall came down in 1989, there were a lot of talks about the history of the Berlin Wall and how it came to be and so forth.

At least, we all are trying to get along with life and ease the pain WW2 and the Nazi inflicted on a lot of people in the country.

@kuifje75, you wrote, that you have been in germany... ;) have you been in munich, too? :D you meant, our language was too difficult for you because of oralismus? for me is your ASL too difficult, too... *smileZzZ* do you know "oktoberfest" in munich, the biggest celebration of the world?

hmph i am not sure if this trend has died out but if you want to backpack thruout Europe, have you thoguth about Interrail? You pay for a ticket and the train will stop in many european countries and you sightsee for a full day or couple of days then back ont he train and go to the next country! Usually interrail is two weeks or less (never have been on it but have been told to go on it someday when I have the money) the down side to it, if you cannot afford a first-class, be prepare to sleep on the hard floor on the train :-X

(now to answer the first post's question)
I have been to England, Finland, Sweden, (touchdown in Denmark airport, but i guess it doesn't count, lol) hmmph... yeah, that is all i guess. I would love to go to Spain (I know the language!) and Italy. Turkey too but someday when the all ... military actions simmer down.

My fantasy vacation would be going to Transylvia! YEAH AND VISIT THAT COUNT DRACULA'S PLACE! oooooooo I love those dark-history countries such as Turkey and its Istanbual and so on. ;) I dont really want to go to france, switzerland, greece etc wtih those glorifying history (blah). I am a dark person ;)

This thread is very interesting for me to read what you US-citizens think about our continent.
I live in Germany (Munich) and have to agree to some users about different cultures here in Europe...
Every country is very different, for example the Italian people with their lots of gestures, UK with their Fish'n' Chips :eek:
And it's right, we Germans are bit cool if we meet new people... But after a while we'll defrost... ;)

Last edited:
Calva said:
This thread is very interesting for me to read what you US-citizens think about our continent.
I life in Germany (Munich) and have to agree to some users about different cultures here in Europe...
Every country is very different, for example the Italian people with their lots of gestures, UK with their Fish'n' Chips :eek:
And it's right, we Germans are bit cool if we meet new people... But after a while we'll defrost... ;)

I´m also come from Europe, too.... :D

Famous Fish & chip in England is real super... Did you tried it?

Liebling:-))) said:
Famous Fish & chip in England is real super... Did you tried it?

Yea, certainly I tried it. I don't like chips with vinegar :crazy: But I'm very enthused from London :)

Calva said:
Yea, certainly I tried it. I don't like chips with vinegar :crazy: But I'm very enthused from London :)

Yes, that´s right but I don´t like to add vinegar to chip... but the chip is more taste.... mmmhhhh, also fresh fish, too... :fly2:

Cowgirl said:
@kuifje75, you wrote, that you have been in germany... ;) have you been in munich, too? :D you meant, our language was too difficult for you because of oralismus? for me is your ASL too difficult, too... *smileZzZ* do you know "oktoberfest" in munich, the biggest celebration of the world?

Ups! Sorry I never noticed this until now... Better late than never :)
Yes I have been in Munchen several times.

No, it was difficult for me to communicate with some Deaf Germans because some of them did not use sign language at all but spoke German. Then some used LBG and I met some who used DGS. Also, DGS is not same everywhere in Germany. I learned this sign in West (Hessen) for "wohnen" but found out that it was signed differently in the South (Bavaria). I had to learn more and more DGS :)

Yes I know Oktoberfest, but I have never been there. I hope one day I will be able to go to Oktoberfest.

Calva said:

:lol: Germans can be friendly when you know them better. Why do you think it is that way, Calva? I know Germans love privacy!!! and so do I.

kuifje75 said:
:lol: Germans can be friendly when you know them better. Why do you think it is that way, Calva? I know Germans love privacy!!! and so do I.

I'm agree with Calva because I live in Germany for a long time to familiar everything.
Yes, they are friendly but they could be very paranoid sometimes.... Toooo different from Europe...
It's not easy to make new friends because they rather to stick with their old friends than make more new friends.
I know that I'm lucky to make alot of lovely German friends here through my hubby... I also make new friends most is from Ilatians, Pole, East Germany etc who live in Germany because they are more relax & easy to make the fun & open mind....

My Germans friends admitted what I say is true because they know themselves what they act because they was raised to like this... They think the reason is because of Nazi's time. To me, I don't think so.

Last edited:
Yes, I think it has to do with the Nazi time. During the Nazi time, there were spies everywhere, and people could not talk freely, because they were afraid to be overheard and sent to the labour camp. Children who were in Hitlerjunge sometimes overheard their parents talking against Hitler, and reported their parents to their HJ leaders. A lot of grandparents today are ex-HJs, and they don't know otherwise.

I agree with you. When I was in Germany, most of my friends were not Germans, but Italians, Iranians, Belgians, English, Croatians, Poles, etc... But I did make some German friends too because it is easier to be friends with German deaf people than hearing people. :)

PS: I think you missed my post at:
http://www.alldeaf.com/showpost.php?p=64945&postcount=14

Where I said the Germans were "cool" and quiet. Thats probably why Calva said after a while, Germans do "defrost." :)

Last edited by a moderator:
kuifje75 said:
Ups! Sorry I never noticed this until now... Better late than never :)
Yes I have been in Munchen several times.

No, it was difficult for me to communicate with some Deaf Germans because some of them did not use sign language at all but spoke German. Then some used LBG and I met some who used DGS. Also, DGS is not same everywhere in Germany. I learned this sign in West (Hessen) for "wohnen" but found out that it was signed differently in the South (Bavaria). I had to learn more and more DGS :)

Yes I know Oktoberfest, but I have never been there. I hope one day I will be able to go to Oktoberfest.

LBG = oral...something like that "HOH". I use all the time with DGS is likely ASL or BSL because we all are deaf....

We have only LBG & DGS in the Germany... Depend what the people's decision what they like to use LBG or DGS.

Yes, I am agree that there're some different Sign languages between North, East, West & South Germany.

LBG is like Signed German, you sign every word in German, no?

Although ASL do have different signs around the country, it is not as dramatic as it is in Germany. Sometimes if you take the train to next city, you see a different signs for many words. You have to get used to it. I think in the USA, there is much more uniformity in sign language than in Germany.

Last edited by a moderator:
kuifje75 said:
Yes, I think it has to do with the Nazi time. During the Nazi time, there were spies everywhere, and people could not talk freely, because they were afraid to be overheard and sent to the labour camp. Children who were in Hitlerjunge sometimes overheard their parents talking against Hitler, and reported their parents to their HJ leaders. A lot of grandparents today are ex-HJs, and they don't know otherwise.

I agree with you. When I was in Germany, most of my friends were not Germans, but Italians, Iranians, Belgians, English, Croatians, Poles, etc... But I did make some German friends too because it is easier to be friends with German deaf people than hearing people. :)

PS: I think you missed my post at:
http://www.alldeaf.com/showpost.php?p=64945&postcount=14

Where I said the Germans were "cool" and quiet. Thats probably why Calva said after a while, Germans do "defrost." :)

That's exactly what my hubby & my friends say the same....

"cool" = kuehl & quiet = Ruhe.... I think Calvas means is withdraw people... never forward & open talk sometimes....
What do you think? I know there's confusing between English & German....

kuifje75 said:
LBG is like Signed German, you sign every word in German, no?
Yes, you are right... BSL is not full of sign languages but mix with oral & sign...
DGS = Full sign langagues...

Although ASL do have different signs around the country, it is not as dramatic as it is in Germany. Sometimes if you take the train to next city, you see a different signs for many words. You have to get used to it. I think in the USA, there is much more uniformity in sign language than in Germany.

Really interesting... I thought American sign languages is the same in your country.
Yes, it's right...

gnarlydorkette said:
hmph i am not sure if this trend has died out but if you want to backpack thruout Europe, have you thoguth about Interrail? You pay for a ticket and the train will stop in many european countries and you sightsee for a full day or couple of days then back ont he train and go to the next country! Usually interrail is two weeks or less (never have been on it but have been told to go on it someday when I have the money) the down side to it, if you cannot afford a first-class, be prepare to sleep on the hard floor on the train :-X

Actually, you can reserve a place in the sleeping cars for an additional fee, like 4$ or so. I am not sure how it works because I did not use that option. I lived in Germany for 5 months, and used this discount card (BahnCard Junior) which gave me 50% discount on all German trains above 50 km. I don't think they do that anymore though.

I also loved their Schönes-Wochenende-Karte where up to 5 people could have unlimited rides together on the slower German trains for one ticket starting from Saturday midnight until Monday morning. It only costed 35 deutsche marks at that time. I heard my friend told me that it was no longer available, but I am not sure.

Sorry for not answering your Interrail question.

(now to answer the first post's question)
I have been to England, Finland, Sweden, (touchdown in Denmark airport, but i guess it doesn't count, lol) hmmph... yeah, that is all i guess. I would love to go to Spain (I know the language!) and Italy. Turkey too but someday when the all ... military actions simmer down.

My fantasy vacation would be going to Transylvia! YEAH AND VISIT THAT COUNT DRACULA'S PLACE! oooooooo I love those dark-history countries such as Turkey and its Istanbual and so on. ;) I dont really want to go to france, switzerland, greece etc wtih those glorifying history (blah). I am a dark person ;)

These places do sound fabulous. I have always wanted to visit Russia and Eastern Europe. I have only visited Czech Republic though, but I loved it there. I wonder how Transylvania in Romania would be like, and what tours they have over there. Turkish people are very nice (at least the ones I got to know in Germany).

I think you should give the other European countries a chance anyway. It is not all about glorifying the history, but getting to meet different people and experiencing their ways of lives. It is funny how we think we do the things the European way here in USA, but not at all. Like for example, the Italian pizza wasn't invented in Italy but in the USA! heh... Italy is a beautiful country and it reminds me of Northern California though, except for some places.

kuifje75 said:
I also loved their Schönes-Wochenende-Karte where up to 5 people could have unlimited rides together on the slower German trains for one ticket starting from Saturday midnight until Monday morning. It only costed 35 deutsche marks at that time. I heard my friend told me that it was no longer available, but I am not sure.

Yes we still have Schönes-Wochenende-Karte & Bayern Ticket here....

Schönes-Wochenende-Karte = nice weekends ticket cost EUR 28 up to 5 person only from 9.00 am to 3.00am (Saturday to Sunday only) which it's good for 5 persons who divided into 5.60 EUR per person....

Bayern Ticket cost EUR 21 up to 5 person for Monday to Friday only from 9.00am to 3.00am.

We (10) bought only 2 weekends tickets when we make the trip to Christmas markets everywhere with train.. :thumb:

These places do sound fabulous. I have always wanted to visit Russia and Eastern Europe. I have only visited Czech Republic though, but I loved it there. I wonder how Transylvania in Romania would be like, and what tours they have over there. Turkish people are very nice (at least the ones I got to know in Germany).

I think you should give the other European countries a chance anyway. It is not all about glorifying the history, but getting to meet different people and experiencing their ways of lives. It is funny how we think we do the things the European way here in USA, but not at all. Like for example, the Italian pizza wasn't invented in Italy but in the USA! heh... Italy is a beautiful country and it reminds me of Northern California though, except for some places.

Very interesting experience, you collect.... Super! It sound that you love Europe...

Back