Etiquette

Elliotts Dad

Reaction score
I'm at a loss. There is a girl that works at our local market (our town is <1200) who I think is deaf/hoh based on her language, but obviously Im not sure. She has long hair so I cant tell if she has HA or not. I dont want to embarrass her by asking but I also would like to know if there are other deaf/hoh kids around who could meet my son and maybe learn sign and help him. What is proper in this situation?

Just go and ask. Since its a small town - you have the advantage of the small town mentality.

I really encourage people to talk with other people ANYWAYS.

So, just go and ask.

(wait: What language?)

If you not sure, just start out to say hi, and sign to your son (if you know some), she'll will be happy to sign to him as well . If not, well, she may not be deaf afterall or just not interested.

I would either kindly/casually ask her if you feel comfortable to do it (being you live in a small town) then again. why not try the approach Lighthouse suggested... could work!

good luck and keep us posted how it went! :hug:

Well I guess if you don't want to directly ask if she is deaf, maybe you could ask if she knows sign language? Or you could try to strike up a conversation and if she talk to you, you could sign back. The best way would be like Lighthouse77 said, though, I think.

Yeah, I would just ask her if she knows any sign. And she will be able to tell you by that question.

I think I will just bring my son with me next time I go there and start a conversation if she is working. We normally only go there for emergency items (wife wants candy) since they are so expensive and nearest grocery store is 12 miles away.

I think I will just bring my son with me next time I go there and start a conversation if she is working. We normally only go there for emergency items (wife wants candy) since they are so expensive and nearest grocery store is 12 miles away.

lol nice...

Good luck!

hope it work out well. I only suggested it because I have wonder if someone get offended if you ask them if they are deaf because the way they act (not by ASL or hearing aids -- those things are usually a tell signs that they are deaf so I don't think they mind if you asking them about their deafness). So I always find a conversation starter.

Sort of the opposite, but twice at the grocery store someone has seen me sign to my son & then they start the conversation of is he deaf. The people asking have been d/hh.

It doesn't bother me.

I wish I'd had more time to talk to the customers who asked one night. They looked like college students. I shouldn't have been in such a rush; I should have made time to meet them, not just give brief reply. :(

The other person who asked is a bagger & since I see him on occassion, now we sign a bit to each other when I'm in line.

There is another d/hh person who works at that store. We ran into each other at McDonalds once. I recognized her & struck up the conversation, saying, "I think you work at Fry's, don't you?"

Ok, one time it bothered me that someone "questioned" my son being d/hh. We were at a dr's office & I was filling out forms; didn't list any medical conditions on it. The nurse or whatever she was, checked the paperwork & then asked, "What are those things in his ears?" I just didn't consider being hoh and wearing HAs a medical condition or relevant to the issue. :shrug:

I have a funny/strange situation that I got myself in recently.
When I get angry I curse in ASL. I was having a particularly bad day and went outside into the parking lot. So I was walking and ranting about my stupid boss, not particularly looking at anyone around me. Then suddenly there was this very shy young woman in front of me. Hells, I almost ran her over I was so into ranting. She asked me if I was deaf in halting ASL, and she looked sooooo hopeful. I almost felt bad to tell her I was hearing. She blushed and ran off before I could help her. Or say anything more.
Now I live in NY. There are many Deaf schools and organizations around here. It was very strange.

Back