Etiquette

Psa182

Reaction score
Ok, I have a dilemma. I attend a school with a high concentration of hearing students taking the interpreter course and deaf students. I am also taking the interpreter course (I'm in my first semester). Naturally, I would like to practice as much as possible.
So, here's my situation. Quite a few of the faculty members are deaf and they often stand in the halls outside the lab and sign to each other, holding sometimes lengthy conversations. I often find myself trying to catch what they're saying without realizing it. So my question, if they are standing in a public school hallway where they know they will be seen by others who know or are learning sign, is it rude and inconsiderate to watch their conversation. On the one hand, I would say yes out of simple consideration. However, if two hearing people were standing in a crowded hallway holding a conversation, they would expect to be listened to.
So, I need some advice. Is it ok try to catch a couple signs here and there or is this rude and inconsiderate?

That's a toughie. Usually, it's better to try to avoid listening in. If you're curious, then try not to stare too long or make it obvious. I have that problem sometimes.

Frankly, I don't think it is rude at all if we happen to see anyone who signs at anywhere. If Signers want it to be private, they should go in private places to talk.

I am deaf myself. I dont think its rude when hearing person like you see anyone who signs is normal! At my college where I attended, there were interpreter and deaf programs there! I saw an open communication at any places at my college.

If you stand in between them and watch them sign, without them saying anything to you, then that is fine. Unless if they say, excuse us, please this is private conversation...then you may leave.

I dont see any differences about hearing culture. They hear every word every minute every hour...at any conversations...we deafies dont always hear every thing...soo I personally dont think its rude at all...unless if you stand hiding and watch them sign..that is inappropriate and sign of immature.

I hope I am helping you some. Good Luck with your first Semester! :D

coloravalanche said:
Frankly, I don't think it is rude at all if we happen to see anyone who signs at anywhere. If Signers want it to be private, they should go in private places to talk.
I agree with all your statements.

Psa182,

Just try not to stare, and don't be personally offended if someone tells you they want privacy.

Future terps need to learn flexibility, and develope a thick skin. :) And then, enjoy!

(I currently interpret for Deaf college students.)

That is a tricky situation. I am hearing also and the thing is you can listen to someone's conversation without anyone knowing you're doing so. But you have to watch someone sign, so they certainly may know you're "listening in".

I'd suggest to be very subtle and casual about it and most people won't pay you a bit of attention.

Psa182 said:
Ok, I have a dilemma. I attend a school with a high concentration of hearing students taking the interpreter course and deaf students. I am also taking the interpreter course (I'm in my first semester). Naturally, I would like to practice as much as possible.
So, here's my situation. Quite a few of the faculty members are deaf and they often stand in the halls outside the lab and sign to each other, holding sometimes lengthy conversations. I often find myself trying to catch what they're saying without realizing it. So my question, if they are standing in a public school hallway where they know they will be seen by others who know or are learning sign, is it rude and inconsiderate to watch their conversation. On the one hand, I would say yes out of simple consideration. However, if two hearing people were standing in a crowded hallway holding a conversation, they would expect to be listened to.
So, I need some advice. Is it ok try to catch a couple signs here and there or is this rude and inconsiderate?
I personally think it is ok but again, it is depend on deafies. I worked with many amateur interpreters (teaching the sign language in different training places & community college) and I told them that it is ok for them to snoop in... Heck, deafies are talking in the public so I believe it is 'privilege' for anyone to snoop but some deafies would be consider rude or inappariorate if you do. However... if you plan to continue snooping/staring, I would suggest you to get participate in their discussions to reduce their discomfort. It happens to me many times in different places and I didn't consider it as rude or inappariorate at all. Well, after all I am the fifth generation of deaf families so I believe I am insensitive to that kind of thing because of that.

Back