Etiquette question

asongofhands

Reaction score
If you sign Hi, how are you to someone (deaf) and they just reply Fine and don't ask how you are, is that considered rude or just part of deaf culture?

Many of us grew up with one-sided conversations because of incomplete communication...so it's probably a habit.

Somewhat new signer, why?

Did you just go up to the person and start signing? If the person wants a conversation with you, and it's an appropriate time and place, I am sure they will also show interest in you.

Somewhat new signer, why?

It really depends on the situation. If you randomly approach a deaf person and as an obvious newbie, sign to them, they are going to assume you're just excited to show off what little ASL you know.

I mean, if a total stranger comes up to me in a shopping mall and the only words he knew in English is "hi, how are you" - I'm going to say "fine" and move on. I'm going to be weirded out by a stranger coming up to me just for the sake of saying hi in what little english he knows and wondering why this stranger felt compelled to approach me just to say that.

It's the same for the deaf who are approached by hearie ASL newbies.

I wouldn't say I approached her; it's just that we see each other at various events, and most times it's a one-sided hi how are you fine. I have a hard time reading her. Maybe it's deaf culture, maybe she's just not that into me. :) <shrug>

I wouldn't say I approached her; it's just that we see each other at various events, and most times it's a one-sided hi how are you fine. I have a hard time reading her. Maybe it's deaf culture, maybe she's just not that into me. :) <shrug>

it's because you have hard time reading her.... so of course it's "one-sided"

come back when you're at conversational level and you'll see that it's not "a deaf culture". or maybe she felt you were creepy to her. who knows?

Back