Esteem ear implants

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Even looking at the "official trial data" you can see that many people arent pleased with the results.

The use of the phrase "somewhat-much better" means that it includes everyone who indicated the implant was even the teenist better than their current HA (which may or may not have been any good - aka, miracle ear, songbird etc).

The fact that there are only three choices, rather than a scale of 1 to 10 is an indicator itself that most people who choose "somewhat-much better" likely choose that option not becuase it was a significant improvement, rather it was marginally better.

And yes, I trust real world users opinions much more than company propaganda aimed at promoting and selling their product.

Since you prefer anecdotal evidence to clinical studies, see the attached audiogram from a friend of mine who had her Esteem activated today. The bottom line is unaided, the middle (black) line is with her hearing aid, and the top "S" line is her hearing now, with the Esteem on at a relatively low volume setting (they start you out low because the new sounds can be overwhelming). The highlighted line is "normal" hearing.

When you consider that it eliminates feedback, occlusion and distortion issues, and that users overwhelmingly prefer the quality of sound from the Esteem vs hearing aids, I think it's pretty clear that this device is pretty revolutionary for HOH people. The tech is in it's infancy, and will only improve.

Attachments

• SC20120511-161825.jpg
    SC20120511-161825.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 15
Almost 2013...

And the cochlear implant companies still haven't done anything cool like releasing an invisible technology. Just venting a little- had a terrifying day at work today

I have to ask this question now since I have no choice.

I work at an extremely loud place (as loud as an airport), and wearing earplugs is required. The catch, a cochlear implant can get all sounds to the head bypassing the earplugs 100 percent- while hearing aids cannot (because the mold gets in the way of earplugs). So, should i wear the ci at work which defeats the point of even wearing earplugs in the first place?

More info.

The earplugs are supposed to keep dangerous sounds from entering your ears. It's almost impossible to combine a hearing aid mold with an earplug. But, with the ci - it sends all sounds to the head (where the coil-magnet is located) even if the world's most powerful earplug is on. A little freaky, but it is what it is

Ci's have a limited window of sound (input dynamic range) -- so you shouldn't actually be hearing painfully loud sounds in those circumstances, but that doesn't mean you should expose your ears to those damaging vibrations. You can wear earplugs to protect your body, and if the sound is too much for comfort, then turn off your CIs while working under those conditions.

With the cochlear implant, the cochlea works again with no hair cells. So, in that situation, sounds exceeding 120 decibels won't cause any damage- I think. But, for a hearing person with hair cells, that's dangerous exposure.

Do I have my facts right?

Last thing, it's very difficult to wear the ci ontop of the ear plugs and safety goggles. It would have been nice if the ci companies were at the same level as the Envoy Company. Oh well.

My hot third grade teacher (who I made out with after class by the way) yelled at me, WHO SAID THAT LIFE'S FAIR?!!! NO LUNCH FOR YOU!!!!!

She went to modeling after I graduated third grade.

And the cochlear implant companies still haven't done anything cool like releasing an invisible technology.
Cyborg, why are you SO fixtated on the idea of an invisable implant? It's not going to change the way the implant works....You're HOH, get OVER IT!!!!!

Back