Enter the Uncategorizable ;-)

Rose Immortal

Reaction score
Hi...

I dunno how much posting I'll be doing, but I figured I'd do you guys the courtesy of introducing myself.

I am a grad student currently working on an MBA. Now you know why I may not post often. ;)

Here's the "uncategorizable" bit. I am hearing--and synesthetic. For every sound I hear, there is a visual image in my mind that appears without my willing it, and changes with the sound. I cannot even imagine a sound without its corresponding visual form. I guess my auditory and visual centers are crosswired to each other. I didn't understand that I heard differently from others until I was 20 or so, and it was really a shock to find that phrases like "bright sound" are not literal to most people.

I have that too. I'm hoh, but experiance most sound as visual stimuli.....

Hello Rose Immortal , :wave:

Welcome to ALLDeaf and enjoy your stay here.... :)

deafdyke said:
I have that too. I'm hoh, but experiance most sound as visual stimuli.....

Nice! Always cool to talk to people who KNOW I'm not crazy or taking LSD 24-7. ;)

Might be fun to compare notes on what we see, someday. :)

And thank you to everyone else who welcomed me!

G'day Rose Immortal,
Welcome to AD! hope you'll enjoy yerself on this forum. Good luck with your mba. Cheers! :wave:

Welcome to AD, Rose Immortal!
I've heard of people getting visual feedback through smelling or tasting.
That's awesome that you're able to get visual feedback through hearing. I suppose it's more of a practiced thing with some deaf people conjuring up visual feedback with signs than it is genetic.

Is that difficult for others with hearing to understand how you process sounds?

Also, if you hear the name, "Liza" what kind of image is conjured up with it? Sorry, I'm curious! ;)

Liza said:
Welcome to AD, Rose Immortal!

Thank you, and thanks to all who have welcomed me! :)

I've heard of people getting visual feedback through smelling or tasting.

So have I...I don't have either of those, though.

That's awesome that you're able to get visual feedback through hearing. I suppose it's more of a practiced thing with some deaf people conjuring up visual feedback with signs than it is genetic.

Honestly I don't know how much of synesthesia is genetic and how much is just something you happen to be born with by chance. Science has only recently started to take people like me seriously. There is some sort of neurological hardwiring, though--if you have it, you don't will it to happen. It just does.

Though there ARE confirmed instances where (for example) a person who is blinded later in life slowly starts to get visual feedback from another sense. Perhaps the brain rewires itself...I don't know, but it's cool.

I can imagine deliberately using visuals as a way of relating to the idea of sound, though. That seems like a reasonable thing to do.

Is that difficult for others with hearing to understand how you process sounds?

Oh, yes...the worst was when I tried to explain it to my parents. They quite simply didn't understand, and I got the impression they really didn't want me to talk about it more.

The funny thing is, I thought about it and realized that I can't really understand how non-synesthetes hear. An absence of visuals in my mind is silence.

Also, if you hear the name, "Liza" what kind of image is conjured up with it? Sorry, I'm curious! ;)

It's all right...you're not being bothersome. I can't really tell you what the image of that sound would look like. It would depend on the timbre and pitch of your voice, where you are when you speak it, and stuff like that.

Now, letters of the alphabet also evoke a visual response in my mind--the "L" is a rather pleasant, rich shade of gold-orange.

interesting thing about visual and sounds wasnt aware of it until now kinda like making pictures out of sounds ? if i m wrong then educate me please

As before, thank you to all who have welcomed me! :ty:

darkflare83 said:
interesting thing about visual and sounds wasnt aware of it until now kinda like making pictures out of sounds ? if i m wrong then educate me please

The closest thing I've ever seen to it was in the Toccatta and Fugue in D Minor section of the original Fantasia movie. The difference is, that was done deliberately by artists. What I mentally "see" for sounds isn't something I intentionally do; it just happens without my control. It's very simple and abstract...for instance, a piano note is mostly round, and an electric guitar is curvilinear.

This site does a fairly good job of explaining, although some parts of it aren't organized the way I would want: http://www.mixsig.net/

Back