English in deaf schools

rjr2006

Reaction score
Do you think that deaf schools are teaching English properly ?

From my perspective as a mainstreamed college student, I feel that deaf schools lack in teaching English because I saw my classmate's essay and I was shocked! Her English was not very good and that she would probably have a hard time struggling in college level English classes. My honest opinion is that I think that deaf schools should begin improving their English programs so that d/hh can keep up with college level English.

Please feel free to discuss and no arguments are allowed.

Not again with deaf schools being blamed for kids' low literacy skills. :roll:
Pls look at other factors influencing this problem. That's why I get into so many arguments with oralist and those who blame deaf schools when they have never worked in the field of deaf ed cuz because of their philosphy of denying full access to language, many deaf children are deprived of a language therefore they become delayed in language development. Due to being delayed, they struggle in those programs and then get referred to deaf schools at an older age and it is us, teachers, at the deaf schools that have to work our asses off in doing so much remedial work to try to make up for several lost years of academic progress.

Most of our students who have started with us from the beginning, r doing fine with their literacy skills but unfortunately, they r the minority since a large percentage of our student population came from the public schools after failing there. Those r ones whose reading and writing skills r very poor..YES from the public schools!

Maybe the better question would be is..why do the public schools allow numerous deaf children to fall so far behind before deciding to do something about it?

We use the public school' curriculum and we have a great literacy program but what can we do if around 70% of our students come to us at an older age at least 2 years delayed academically especially in the reading and writing area and they all have low self esteems and have given up on learning? If u have an idea to solve this problem, pls let me know.

Remember, many of our students came from oral-only programs not knowing sign and when it was apparent they weren't succeeding with the oral only programs, they get referred to our schools and at the age of 6, 7 or older, they have to learn a new language (ASL) therefore putting learning how to read and write on hold until they master ASL and then have to learn how to read and write in ANOTHER language when they don't have a strong L1 language to begin with. That's many many years wasted...think about it.

People need to stop blaming deaf schools and look at the core of these issues of deaf children and literacy skills.

Until u or others become teachers or professions in this field, pls do not jump on the bandwagon and put all the blame on deaf schools. Many of us, teachers, work really hard in working with an unique population of children coming from all over the state with all different kinds of problems. People need to appreciate us more instead of criticizing us...if the constant balme continues to be put on us teachers, future prospects may not want to become teachers and there will be a severe shortage of teachers. Granted not all teachers are good but a majority of us do work hard and that shoud count for something.

I am trying to end this problem but many people think the oral-only way is the best. My ass....what's so great about being in an eeducational environment where the child gets partial access to information while their hearing counterparts get full access? No wonder deaf children continue to struggle.

The public schools are not doing a very good job of teaching English....even to their hearing students. Approx 45% of the hearing students coming into mu college have to take remedial writing because they graduated from high school without college freshman level writing skills. And I know some deaf students that can write with more skill than some of the hearing students. You cannot blame it all on the deaf schools.

Not again with deaf schools being blamed for kids' low literacy skills. :roll:
Pls look at other factors influencing this problem. That's why I get into so many arguments with oralist and those who blame deaf schools when they have never worked in the field of deaf ed cuz because of their philosphy of denying full access to language, many deaf children are deprived of a language therefore they become delayed in language development. Due to being delayed, they struggle in those programs and then get referred to deaf schools at an older age and it is us, teachers, at the deaf schools that have to work our asses off in doing so much remedial work to try to make up for several lost years of academic progress.

Most of our students who have started with us from the beginning, r doing fine with their literacy skills but unfortunately, they r the minority since a large percentage of our student population came from the public schools after failing there. Those r ones whose reading and writing skills r very poor..YES from the public schools!

Maybe the better question would be is..why do the public schools allow numerous deaf children to fall so far behind before deciding to do something about it?

We use the public school' curriculum and we have a great literacy program but what can we do if around 70% of our students come to us at an older age at least 2 years delayed academically especially in the reading and writing area and they all have low self esteems and have given up on learning? If u have an idea to solve this problem, pls let me know.

Remember, many of our students came from oral-only programs not knowing sign and when it was apparent they weren't succeeding with the oral only programs, they get referred to our schools and at the age of 6, 7 or older, they have to learn a new language (ASL) therefore putting learning how to read and write on hold until they master ASL and then have to learn how to read and write in ANOTHER language when they don't have a strong L1 language to begin with. That's many many years wasted...think about it.

People need to stop blaming deaf schools and look at the core of these issues of deaf children and literacy skills.

Until u or others become teachers or professions in this field, pls do not jump on the bandwagon and put all the blame on deaf schools. Many of us, teachers, work really hard in working with an unique population of children coming from all over the state with all different kinds of problems. People need to appreciate us more instead of criticizing us...if the constant balme continues to be put on us teachers, future prospects may not want to become teachers and there will be a severe shortage of teachers. Granted not all teachers are good but a majority of us do work hard and that shoud count for something.

I am trying to end this problem but many people think the oral-only way is the best. My ass....what's so great about being in an eeducational environment where the child gets partial access to information while their hearing counterparts get full access? No wonder deaf children continue to struggle.

:gpost::gpost: I jsut responded to another thread that a poster still is claiming that CI and oral method has been allowing deaf children to completely integrate, socially and educationally, into the hearing world. I cannot believe, after all of the statistics proving otherwise, that anyone would still believe this.

The public schools are not doing a very good job of teaching English....even to their hearing students. Approx 45% of the hearing students coming into mu college have to take remedial writing because they graduated from high school without college freshman level writing skills. And I know some deaf students that can write with more skill than some of the hearing students. You cannot blame it all on the deaf schools.

yes and my instructor kept saying that hearing people have problems with English. Teachers in HS are passive while college English professors are VERY TRICKY, DETAILED, AND WANTS US TO BE PERFECT IN English.

yes and my instructor kept saying that hearing people have problems with English. Teachers in HS are passive while college English professors are VERY TRICKY, DETAILED, AND WANTS US TO BE PERFECT IN English.

Oh College professers vary to. A few years ago I took a class called Reading and Writing Critically (sp?) My spelling and grammer isn't the greatest and once I went corrected a big error that I thought stood out. (this was an online course) He comes back with, something like I wasn't worried about the grammer, just the content. UGH. And reading the young adults sentences was awful. And supposedly most of it didn't effect the grades. I'm sorry but most should have been written with decent grammer, since letting us get by with crappy grammer does nothing to help learn to write correctly.

Yeah, college professors tend to be picky over writing skills. Some of them can be nazi grammers. I had a college professor from New York who strongly believes that when you write a book, it has to be present tense, not past tense. I had to use present tenses for my reports on her request. Gotta please your instructors in order to get a good grade.. lol

Yeah, college professors tend to be picky over writing skills. Some of them can be nazi grammers.

Yes and that is why deaf literacy skills are way behind. The point is how do we keep our English up to highest English level?

Yes and that is why deaf literacy skills are way behind. The point is how do we keep our English up to highest English level?

I'm not a English instructor. Reading is extremely important. We need to to be encouraged to read the books continually. We need to be encouraged to check a dictionary and a thesaurus if we do not know what the word is. I've met some hearing people who are not familiar with words such as 'alleviate'. Hearing people need to be encouraged to read as well. Some hearing people I know don't like to read. They choose to listen to audio books and magazines over reading the books. :) I think it is great to develop listening skills, but some people have struggled to write vocabularies and didn't know what the words look like. I also think the internet is one of the great tools for deaf people to develop writing and reading skills. If you think your grammar skills are improved doesn't mean you are done with books. Learning can last a lifetime.

I am sure that shel90 is one of very good teachers.

The problem is that the AP test or National Assessment of Educational Progress Test that has not met the children's needs. A standard school and the AP are not the same test. I believe that National Educational team has been ignored for years. It hurt children's education if they failed the test.

I cannot believe that George Bush signed the law "Leave Children Behind." Not many students are able to read and write because of their health reason. This will ruin their life if they apply for a job or college because of this law, and their poor grade reports.

Let's go back to the issue about the teachers. I assure that you know that some teachers did a good job, and others are not. It's hard because a lottery that you have to pick which school is right for your child. What about a private school? Is it best for your child to attend a private school? Is that what their parents consider about their money for a private school?

For older kids and teenagers (even adults), I strongly recommend them to study a foreign book for a beginner at home - i.e. as Germany, France, and Italy. This will definitely help them to understand how the grammar works.
I would say that it is a miracle.

A Spanish language is easy for them to learn. My opinion is that the Spanish is a different structure of grammar which is probably not the same ideal for Europe grammar. (It's hard for me to explain it.) It's because I have had seen some students who studied in Spanish, and they still have poor grammar. This one that I really cannot explain why. I am not a perfect grammar, but maybe far better than before. I studied in German that helped me to understand it. It was my hobby.

I agreed Barbaro that it is the a good idea for them to read on the internet. That would make a big difference.

Oh College professers vary to. A few years ago I took a class called Reading and Writing Critically (sp?) My spelling and grammer isn't the greatest and once I went corrected a big error that I thought stood out. (this was an online course) He comes back with, something like I wasn't worried about the grammer, just the content. UGH. And reading the young adults sentences was awful. And supposedly most of it didn't effect the grades. I'm sorry but most should have been written with decent grammer, since letting us get by with crappy grammer does nothing to help learn to write correctly.

:gpost::gpost: And so many parents that have their children mainstreamed in an oral environment allow it to be written intot he IEP that grammar and syntax errors in their writing will not be held against them. That is so wrong. It does nothing to improve the childs comprehension of and use of language. Then they turn around and blame the school for not teaching their child properly, when they are the one's that gave the teacher permission to ignore and not attend to their child's deficits.

Do you think that deaf schools are teaching English properly ?

From my perspective as a mainstreamed college student, I feel that deaf schools lack in teaching English because I saw my classmate's essay and I was shocked! Her English was not very good and that she would probably have a hard time struggling in college level English classes. My honest opinion is that I think that deaf schools should begin improving their English programs so that d/hh can keep up with college level English.

Please feel free to discuss and no arguments are allowed.

I agree with you so you get no argument from me.

The sad fact of the matter is that public schools aren't doing a very good job of teaching hearing kids English, either.

Yes, and parental involvement also has an impact on the kid's development, too. The less parental involvement in the development of reading, writing and communication skills, the harder it will be for the kids. The schools can't do it all. Whether it's a hearing school or deaf school makes no difference. It's an individual thing. It starts at home.

Yes, and parental involvement also has an impact on the kid's development, too. The less parental involvement in the development of reading, writing and communication skills, the harder it will be for the kids. The schools can't do it all. Whether it's a hearing school or deaf school makes no difference. It's an individual thing. It starts at home.

I second that.

Won't get an argument from me there. And here is where I see another problem. Many deaf students ahve it written into an IEP, signed my the parents, that the grammar and spelling mistakes of a deaf child will be forgiven in grading. If you sign off on those forgivenesses to be built into your child's education, you are reinforcingthe poor use of English. Poor grammar use should not be forgiven, but corrected. By both teachers and parents.

Won't get an argument from me there. And here is where I see another problem. Many deaf students ahve it written into an IEP, signed my the parents, that the grammar and spelling mistakes of a deaf child will be forgiven in grading. If you sign off on those forgivenesses to be built into your child's education, you are reinforcingthe poor use of English. Poor grammar use should not be forgiven, but corrected. By both teachers and parents.

I agree. If the parents themselves have poor reading and writing skills to begin with then how can they understand an IEP much less know what it is they're signing? So it's an even bigger uphill battle for the kid from there. Poor kids. It is very frustrating to sit on the sidelines and see an unending parade of school kids graduating from high school and not being able to fill out a job application. Heartbreaking, really.

Nods. My brother in law's brother had to take remedial courses; he got thrown out of college later on. He's hearing.

I've seen some of what some hearing write. Many of them can not read or write that well.

I agree. If the parents themselves have poor reading and writing skills to begin with then how can they understand an IEP much less know what it is they're signing? So it's an even bigger uphill battle for the kid from there. Poor kids. It is very frustrating to sit on the sidelines and see an unending parade of school kids graduating from high school and not being able to fill out a job application. Heartbreaking, really.

I am so in agreement with you. Watching that parade is why I decided to return to school after my son was raised. It one way I can see of putting myself in the position to try and make a difference.

Nods. My brother in law's brother had to take remedial courses; he got thrown out of college later on. He's hearing.

I've seen some of what some hearing write. Many of them can not read or write that well.

We get a lot of incoming college freshmen who have to take a remedial couse before they can get into a college level composition class. It's sad.

Back