English Boy catch HUGE Goldfish monster 5lbs!!

sara1981

Reaction score
'He's going to need a bigger bowl': Schoolboy angler amazed after he hooks a monster 5lb GOLDFISH
Schoolboy angler reels in enormous 5lb GOLDFISH | Mail Online

Even if you're known for having a three second memory, it's an unforgettable catch.

And Nick Richards was bowled over when he reeled in this 5lb goldfish.

The 16-year-old angler was amazed to have caught the massive orange specimen while fishing at a local lake.

It is likely the 16 inch fish was released into the water after outgrowing its tank - and has apparently thrived in its new environment.

Schoolboy Nick was fishing for common carp when he noticed a flash of colour under the surface of the water and pointed his rod in its direction.

Moments later he had the goldfish, which is a type of carp usually found in fairgrounds and garden ponds, hooked on the end of the line.

It is thought Nick's catch, which he placed back in the water after taking this photograph, is the biggest in the UK.

Recalling the one that didn't get away, he said of the lake in Poole, Dorset: 'I'd heard rumours there might be some big carp there and thought I'd see for myself.

'I was there for two days running and caught some big common carp.

'Then suddenly I saw this big orange fish cruising along the top of the lake.'

Nick, who is from Camberley, Surrey, and was on holiday in Dorset when he caught the goldfish, continued: 'It wasn't too much trouble to reel it in.

'At first I thought it must be a really fat Koi carp, but when I saw it properly I realised it was a common goldfish - just like one you might keep as a pet.

'The only difference was that it was massive. It weighed 5lb when I put it on the scales.

'I can only think that it had got too big for someone's tank or pond and the owner had dumped it in the lake.

'It looked like it was healthy and in good condition. The lake is sheltered with plenty of food, so it's doing pretty well.'

Ruth Lockwood, from the English Carp Heritage Organisation, said: 'It's difficult to confirm that it is the biggest ever caught in the UK, because it is an ornamental fish and the record won't be recognised by the British Records Fish Committee.

'It seems most likely that it was released into the lake by someone after it outgrew a tank or pond.'

She added that pet owners 'must be reminded that it is illegal to release pet fish into the wild'.

'It has a massive impact on the environment and our native species and must not be encouraged'.

FISH FACTS:
The goldfish, known in Latin as Carassius auratus auratus is a small member of the carp family
● It was first domesticated in China more than 1,000 years ago and is commonly kept as a pet
● Goldfish typically grow to between two and 18 inches
● They have been known to live for 40 years
● Previously, the biggest goldfish in Britain measured 15.7in and weighed 2lb

So that's where he was all those years. I thought I got rid of him for good flushing him down in my toilet.

So that's where he was all those years. I thought I got rid of him for good flushing him down in my toilet.

why would you flush down a live goldfish? :ugh:

Perhaps it was dead but the magic sewer water brought it back to life....

Yeah, and who'd figure a few get upset over my comment? I bet it was that same magic sewer that made those flushed baby crocodiles into those big mamas in the sewers of NYC?

Yeah, and who'd figure a few get upset over my comment? I bet it was that same magic sewer that made those flushed baby crocodiles into those big mamas in the sewers of NYC?

1. no crocodile here
2. crocodile is a saltwater creature and Hudson River is not saltwater (I thought you're hydrologist?)
3. even if you move a colony of crocodile here... 99.999% of it will die due to cold weather here
4. it's alligator, not crocodile. "Sewer Gator" (an urban legend here) :aw:

glad you learned something new

That's interesting. I am surprised it was still that orange. I think they get a lot of the color from the fish food used to feed pet fish.

My 2 goldfish are pretty big....one is Calico, named "Larry"...and the other one is pearl/white, named "Gabby"....6 inches long...had them for about 2 years.....beautiful "frilly" tails and so easy to care for!...The sucker fish named "Oscar" is getting too big for the tank...and pretty soon, he goes into the river!...He will live out there and grow bigger....As for my Goldfish, we are already talking about getting a 55-gallon tank for them...they are family...

My 2 goldfish are pretty big....one is Calico, named "Larry"...and the other one is pearl/white, named "Gabby"....6 inches long...had them for about 2 years.....beautiful "frilly" tails and so easy to care for!...The sucker fish named "Oscar" is getting too big for the tank...and pretty soon, he goes into the river!...He will live out there and grow bigger....As for my Goldfish, we are already talking about getting a 55-gallon tank for them...they are family...

I bet "Oscar" will be affraid. First day in a new school.....

Back