Energy surge prompts move to 4-day work week in US

Reaction score
Energy surge prompts move to 4-day work week in US

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Skyrocketing energy costs have fueled fresh interest in the four-day workweek across the United States as a means to help workers as well as employers cope with the surgeIn Birmingham, Alabama, city officials decided to implement a four-day week starting July 1 for some 2,400 municipal employees and later in the year for around 1,000 police and firefighters.
The move, allowing employees to work four 10-hour days, may save 500,000 to one million dollars annually in fuel costs alone for the employees, according to April Odom, director of communications for the mayor's office in the city of 242,000 people.
"Our employees are very excited and ready to start today," Odom told AFP.
"Our biggest motivation was to give our employees a cost savings due to gasoline prices here. But it will also give parents an extra day with their children and save on day care costs."
Some 1,600 kilometers (1,000 miles) north in Maynard, Minnesota, the MACCRAY School District will start a four-day week for the upcoming school year, saving around one percent of its budget, mainly from transportation costs.
"We were going out for transportation quotes and the difference between the four-day and five-day school week was 55,000 dollars," Superintendent Greg Schmidt said.
The shift will mean 149 school days instead of 172, but each day will include an extra 65 minutes for instruction, according to Schmidt.
At the elementary school level, he said "there are some teachers worried about the long days for (younger) kids."
On the other hand, he said, "the majority of high school students like the idea. A lot of these kids work, so it gives them an extra day."
Gasoline costs have surged to around four dollars a gallon in much of the United States, up some 30 percent from a year ago, according to the American Automobile Association.
The compressed four-day week is among many options being used by employees and employers in the US, including telecommuting and carpooling, to keep transportation costs down.
A 2007 survey by the Society of Human Resource Management found 38 percent of companies offering a compressed workweek for some employees as part of flexible work benefits.
The US government for years has allowed some employees to work a compressed schedule. Many local governments, from Suffolk County, New York, to El Paso, Texas, are also studying these options.
Meanwhile consulting firm Robert Half International, in a survey released last month, said 44 percent of professionals interviewed said higher gasoline prices have affected their commutes, with many changing their work plans.
The changes include carpooling, using more fuel-efficient cars or telecommuting. Some 26 percent said they were working fewer days of the week to trim commuting costs.
A survey by consultancy Challenger Gray & Christmas found the most popular program, utilized by 23 percent of companies, is a condensed workweek, which typically consists of four 10-hour days.
John Challenger, chief executive of the firm, said the silver lining in high energy costs is that companies and employees are becoming more flexible to adapt to difficult circumstances.
Challenger said employers are now focusing more on performance instead of the number of hours worked, and employees are developing ways to cut costs and become more efficient.
"With our BlackBerrys and our technology we are always working," he said.
With four-day weeks, he said, "not only do people miss the heavy commutes by being at the office earlier and later, but also we're moving to a workplace culture where people want long weekends," he added.
"I don't think we're at the tipping point yet but we are seeing a breaking apart of the traditional work week."

Wow--that's quite a shift! I LOVED those four days on three days off work schedules. This is gonna be great for most people!! Kinda tough on parents of the little ones though......without a support system at home.

it would be save a gas to ten hour work day and 4 days instead of eight hour work day and 5 days

Got URL?

Anyways, I think this is a great idea. This is something I've always wanted to do myself. :)

I would be thrilled to go to a compressed work week, 3 days to sleep in, 3 days to enjoy life. But nah wouldnt happen. We'd end up working 10 hours a day 5 days a week given that we already work 6 days a week 8 hours a day. Perhaps I should mention this to the higher ups????? Let the employees vote on it. If it passes do a trial run for six months to see if they are cutting costs any.

I am working 10 hours a day Monday through Thursday so I have Fridays off. So Saturday feels more like a free day without being tired from Friday or thinking about going back to work on the day after tomorrow.

Geez, I want that work week!!!!!

I used to work 10 hours - 4 days per week in the past and liked it much better than 8 hours - 5 days per week.

It provided me more time for fun or something else to do or make up whatever I could. It was in my early 20s at the time so it definitely was so cool. lol

But duh if the majority will follow up the change for the better. I believe at least some businesses could adapt it while some couldn't adapt.

There is another issue - rather problematic (maybe) that there are some greeds wouldn't want it shortened, I ponder. But should be interesting to see if it will happen or not.

Otherwise, the 4/10 work days fare much better especially for the families or such like that... as many acknowledged that many parents and children have much less time to send together nowadays unlike it did in the past.

Who knows due to those crazy gas prices and time problems amongst some workers might change the traditional work schedule for the better. Yep, it definitely reduces gas usage in America only if approx. half of work world changes to 10 hrs/4 days work schedule.

I would like to see it happening in near future.

If I am not mistaken most of France works only four days per week? And they are consdiered one of the worlds most productive workforces.

I think its not so much how many hours you spend at work, its using that time you spend at work wisely and working more efficiently that makes one more productive.

Again I would love a compressed work week. I know the medical field here in the states often work 3 12 hour shifts then get four days off for whatever.

...I think its not so much how many hours you spend at work, its using that time you spend at work wisely and working more efficiently that makes one more productive....
Yeah, more US workers need to quit surfing the web during working hours. :lol:

There's two sides to this.

If more businesses reduce their working hours, will the customers complain? If your favorite stores are closed more often, or you can't get the services you need when you want them, will you be happy?

Most Americans don't like their services to be unavailable, or to wait a long time. :)

It might work for some people, depending on their occupations. There are some businesses and services that can't do that but maybe it could balance out.

It also depends on what people do with that extra day off. If they use to go to stores, the amusement park, or a second job, then they aren't saving gas. I read that the high school students like the idea of of a four-day school week because they can use the extra day for their jobs. That means they won't be staying home that extra day but hitting the road to go to their jobs.

I am hoping to get my flex schedule changed, meaning I work extra hour a day and get every other Monday and every other friday to be a short day. Then this will allow me to carpool with my husband. This will save a lot of gas money for us.

There's two sides to this.

If more businesses reduce their working hours, will the customers complain? If your favorite stores are closed more often, or you can't get the services you need when you want them, will you be happy?

Most Americans don't like their services to be unavailable, or to wait a long time. :)

It might work for some people, depending on their occupations. There are some businesses and services that can't do that but maybe it could balance out.

It also depends on what people do with that extra day off. If they use to go to stores, the amusement park, or a second job, then they aren't saving gas. I read that the high school students like the idea of of a four-day school week because they can use the extra day for their jobs. That means they won't be staying home that extra day but hitting the road to go to their jobs.
It's not a matter of saving gas, but also a matter of having more free time for their families.

Some families have kids that go to bed around 8 pm or 9 pm. When people work further away, they don't get home from work until around 6 pm or so. That gives them a couple hours to be with their kids. If they were to work an extra couple hours during the week, then they would have at least 2 full days to spend with their families. :)

It's not a matter of saving gas, but also a matter of having more free time for their families.

Some families have kids that go to bed around 8 pm or 9 pm. When people work further away, they don't get home from work until around 6 pm or so. That gives them a couple hours to be with their kids. If they were to work an extra couple hours during the week, then they would have at least 2 full days to spend with their families. :)
That is a nice idea, if they really use their time that way.

I guess all the family members would have to coordinate their schedules to be sure that they have the same days off. :)

that is a neat idea and I just applied a job at the nursing home. So if I do get that job meaning I will be working 3 day 8 hr. I only will work for 24 hrs. Which is cool and save a lot of gas for me.

:pray: for the job

I am hoping to get my flex schedule changed, meaning I work extra hour a day and get every other Monday and every other friday to be a short day. Then this will allow me to carpool with my husband. This will save a lot of gas money for us.

Can't seem to edit my post. I meant to say get every other Monday OFF an every other Friday with short days. I should find out by early July if approved. Some nice long weekends are ahead of me.:naughty:

That is a nice idea, if they really use their time that way.

I guess all the family members would have to coordinate their schedules to be sure that they have the same days off. :)
I would rather wear myself out for an extra 2 hours a day so that I can sleep a couple hours later on my day off and then have a whole day with my family. :)

id rather just have someone clock me in and out and just sleep in all day :) Go on friday only to get my paycheck i worked soooooo hard for!

Back