Employment related to Disablities...

Tousi said:
Deafscuba, hi...
I don't really know Y except from here but I think maybe she meant that 20% unemployment among the deaf is "too low", meaning she thinks that the unemployment rate among the deaf is higher than 20%.

Whatever the rate it is, I think it is terrible and there are many factors why this is. We can debate this until the cows come home! LOL, but seriously, something has to happen to improve this......

Right Tousi that's what I mean.. because I've read
somewhere else twice about 75% of deafies are
un-employed. Thats' why I'm trying my best to
look for the article in archives especially
about "75 Percent". If I ever find it, then I'd be
happy to enclose that article as soon as I can.

P.S. Right, I think this is terrible....and discouraging....

Thank you, Y......looking forward to the information when you find it.

You're welcome... I'm afraid that I've mis-placed this
criticial article on-line or I might have already deleted it
from my system here..aw shucks... I recalled it
vaguely that it could be either 75 or 70 percent of
hearing impaired with
both "un-employed" and "under-employed" together...
It was printed recently around Summer or Fall 2004.

I cannot remember the name of newspaper or something...
This could be from the Washington Post newspaper,
but I'm not quite sure tho...

I just sent an email to a friend who might have
a copy of this article hopefully... still waiting...

Maybe someone else on AD might have the
same copy of this article, who knows ??

That's alright, Y. I had been guessing 25 percent among the deaf population.......70% makes my heart skip a beat! Holy Moly!

I believe that most Deaf people DO get jobs but the problem is how to HOLD the job.

Ethics are not widely understood among the majority of the Deaf community. Being a supervisor, Ive had to struggle with that so many times, trying to explain work ethics to them. Ive repeated myself over and over, only to get them still make very same mistakes. Many days I feel like slamming my head onto the wall.

I would go further but due to confidentiality, I cannot. But I can only say that it is a widespread problem for the majority of the Deaf to hold jobs consistently and successfully. VRs does appalling and lousy job of preparing them for work world.

*sorry for off topic* tousi, yeah i knew you were raisen in fairbault, mn..

*back to topic*

now i understand Y... you thought it's a bigger percent. i'm dead if i heard that 75% is unemployed. :shock:

DeafSCUBA98 said:
now i understand Y... you thought it's a bigger percent. i'm dead if i heard that 75% is unemployed. :shock:

yeah, that's why I was very shocked about 70 percent
(or 75 percent) when i saw that article ...

IF I never read that article before,
then I would have guessed 25 percent myself.
I hope that I will hear or receive an article copy
from a friend... and/or

I hope that someone else from AD who might have
seen or have another printed article copy ????

Last edited:
Y said:
yeah, that's why I was very shocked about 70 percent
(or 75 percent) when i saw that article ...
I got the feeling that it may not their fault. There must be other major reasons why it happen beside so-called 'laziness'. I highly doubt that was based on laziness alone. 15 - 20% is probably based on laziness, 50% go to somewhere else like poor economy policy. Low job creation. common 'not smart'. etc. In Sweden, there is quite low percent for deafies to live on SS (even though Sweden's SS system is perfect and well-structured)... it must be something else beside laziness.

Magatsu said:
I got the feeling that it may not their fault. There must be other major reasons why it happen beside so-called 'laziness'. I highly doubt that was based on laziness alone. 15 - 20% is probably based on laziness, 50% go to somewhere else like poor economy policy. Low job creation. common 'not smart'. etc. In Sweden, there is quite low percent for deafies to live on SS (even though Sweden's SS system is perfect and well-structured)... it must be something else beside laziness.

Magatsu, have u ever seen that article about
70 percent hearing impaired in the entire USA ?
If yes, can u bring that copy here ?

I wish I do but I don't. Actually that was my first time to hear like that. I made a guess based on my knowledge about deafies in America and Sweden. Sorry, Y, I don't know anything about article. Can you remember what the title for that article? I usually am good at finding the old articles.

Magatsu said:
I wish I do but I don't. Actually that was my first time to hear like that. I made a guess based on my knowledge about deafies in America and Sweden. Sorry, Y, I don't know anything about article. Can you remember what the title for that article? I usually am good at finding the old articles.

Sorry, I can not remember the exact title...

Reba said:
Good suggestions.

Employers want to see experience because otherwise they have no way of knowing if you can do the job. Sometimes they will accept some experience in fields that are not even the same as the job offered. That is because the employer wants to know if you are a dependable employee who will show up every day on time, and have good work habits.

Like you say, a person needs to be willing to start at the bottom and work the way up. Too many college students today think that they can get hired for a top job just because they have a degree. I know that the lower level jobs don't pay as well, and don't have as many benefits, but that should motivate the beginner to strive for advancement. The top jobs require you to "pay your dues"; that is, work your way up and get more experience.

I like the recent example of the proposed commerce secretary, Cuban-born Carlos Gutierrez. He was poor and spoke only Spanish. He began working for Kellog selling Frosted Flakes cereal out of a truck, and finally became CEO of Kellog. He did all that without a college degree.
http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/29/news/newsmakers/commerce_secretary/

I love reading these kind of stories...
Even a guy with Learning Disabilities (Dyslexia)
became CEO of Cisco !! (John T. Chambers,
originally from West Virginia...)
Look at another article from another source:
http://www.ld.org/news/OWfall2001/OWfall2001_chambers.cfm

OH YEA, I agree with you, Scuba... deaf tends to be lazy and get SSI/SSDI.. job is good thing to learn about life and get more experiences. also good reputation on your/their resumes to get more advance in any job position. also keep your life busy not slow by staying home doing nothing. also ssi is just one time a month but job can pay you 2 weeks each... it's good thing to work to get more money than sdi if job pay more! :) even if go to college, you can graduate with degree then get better job that pays because you have degree... :)

DelicPumpkPie said:
even if go to college, you can graduate with degree then get better job that pays because you have degree... :)
Not in this generation. Even with M.A. or M.S. or P.H.D. they still couldn't get the jobs. Job creation rate is incredibly low in America. Back in 1980 - 90's, yes you are right. People will recieve the higher chance to get a job with degrees but not in millennium age (nowaday)

Meg said:
I believe that most Deaf people DO get jobs but the problem is how to HOLD the job.

:werd: Stability is one thing that has to be addressed when it comes to keeping Deafies and jobs together.

I've seen deafies come and go in my workplace. I would venture a guess that the average stay would be 1.5 to 2 years then leave for some reason. But I still managed to hold on to mine for 8 years and I'm nearing the 9 year mark soon in 2 months. I knew one guy who went thru about 8 or more jobs in a YEAR than I ever did in my lifetime.

I had made some understanding over my benefits at the job. Explaining the benefits to several deafies there, my head was spinning at the full lack of awareness why benefits is pretty important like health insurance, 401k retirement savings, you name a benefit, it also should be explained in full to deafies why it is important to focus on Job Stability. Job Stability should be taught at high schools no matter deaf or hearing.

One advantage to stability is that the worker builds up enough seniority at his/her job that brings an advantage when it comes to layoffs. Generally employers will lay off people with the LEAST seniority but retain the ones with higher seniortiy. But however it is no guarantee of a protection against layoff if a company closes down and throws everybody out of work.

sablecourt, well... i actually thought that
i was safe only because I worked for
the same corporation for more than 8 years stability
and then my whole department got laid off (including me)
They said that this does NOT matter
IF I was doing a real good job,
but it was due to the poor economy...
I felt very disappointed because I worked
very hard for nothing.

Last edited:
Back