Employer discrimination - is it?

midnitexvz

Reaction score
I'm hearing impaired, considered deaf without my hearing aide. I've been doing concrete pumping for 5 years and just moved to a different company 3 months ago. Recently they aquired a new "boss" who i swear has it out for me. At first it was just rumors saying that he was going to keep me either riding with someone (me not driving and not having my own truck like i'm supposed to ) or just having me deliver pipes (which is a BIG down grade) due to my hearing. I have never had any problems doing my job and have proven that many times at this new job. My hearing impairment has not affected it what so ever. Any how, more recently i was hanging around 2 co-workers, one of them whom is dispatch and the boss called. Dispatch said he needed me in my own truck for the next days jobs. Boss said that he wouldn't permit me to be in that truck because of my hearing. Mind you i have a CDL and know what im doing. Both guys heard this and this isn't the first time it's happened. Now yesterday he called me into my office and said i might be getting laid off because he doesn't think my hearing loss allows me to do my job. Is this right? And what can i do? I know that he's not going to be stupid enough to "fire" me because of my hearing, more or less he'll come up with something else. What in the world can i do?

I'm hearing impaired, considered deaf without my hearing aide. I've been doing concrete pumping for 5 years and just moved to a different company 3 months ago. Recently they aquired a new "boss" who i swear has it out for me. At first it was just rumors saying that he was going to keep me either riding with someone (me not driving and not having my own truck like i'm supposed to ) or just having me deliver pipes (which is a BIG down grade) due to my hearing. I have never had any problems doing my job and have proven that many times at this new job. My hearing impairment has not affected it what so ever. Any how, more recently i was hanging around 2 co-workers, one of them whom is dispatch and the boss called. Dispatch said he needed me in my own truck for the next days jobs. Boss said that he wouldn't permit me to be in that truck because of my hearing. Mind you i have a CDL and know what im doing. Both guys heard this and this isn't the first time it's happened. Now yesterday he called me into my office and said i might be getting laid off because he doesn't think my hearing loss allows me to do my job. Is this right? And what can i do? I know that he's not going to be stupid enough to "fire" me because of my hearing, more or less he'll come up with something else. What in the world can i do?
Go to your local EO office and file a complant. They are not allowed to do that. Also, you might need to get a sworn statement from your 2 co-workers too. Also, you need to hurry to do all that, cause there is a limited amount of time.

For more info, check this website. I had to check it out for my wife, cause the Human Resources won't hire my wife cause she was deaf. We found out that it won't be worth taking them to court cause it would be only the money from the point they would have hired her.

U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)

Have you tried talking to the boss yourself? Did you tell him a piece of your mind? You need to do this first. Tell him your concern and that you have been able to do everything without a problem in the past, and that you don't understand why he has a problem with your hearing when it wasn't a problem before. Tell him that deaf people can drive.

He sounds very ignorant.

I do not recommend that you become a wimp and try to find another job. I recommend that you find resources to help you to keep your job. Try what the other person above is saying. There's also a phone line in the government pages in the White pages--something related to job and disability. Look that up. Also, try talking to your local vocational rehabilitation for guidance. These people can help you point you in the right direction to get this boss educated.

I recommend that you fight for your rights and keep your job because it's never been a problem before.

Now, continue to get along with your boss. Don't fight with him, but don't let him think you're stupid.

I agree with clearsky, you do need to let him know that you have been doing the job for x number of years with no problems. There are different things you can do to help yourself, one would be to take good notes. anothe rwould be to go over his head if speaking to him doesn't help. It could be that his boss doesn't know this is going on. I've actually had good luck when going over the head of the person (lead) who's being a jerk/a--. Usually if you talk to the right person you can get things fixed.

You do need to make sure that you do NOT argue when talking to him. state facts (law etc) try very hard not to let emotion get into it. And find out if your co workers are willing to back you up. If you go through the chain of comand and don't get the problem fixed, then would be the time to file your complaint. but it really wouldn't hurt to research and see what you will need to be successful if you do have to file. notes and records come to mind.

good luck

sometime i have problem at my job but in general i enjoy my work. you and i are in same boat.. If you are not happy with new boss, you will have to discuss with your boss about your feeling. If it doesnt work, you have to file a complaint.. I think you should stay ur job until you find a new job and then you may quit..

Back