Emergency Situations

Most mobile phones today are setup to receive alerts from the Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) system. Which sends presidential, extreme, severe and amber alerts. So some of that is already in place.

Cell Phone App

Hi everyone - First, thank you for the responses, I am happy that we started a conversation. With regard to the cellphone app - we were thinking that in addition to being connected to emergency agencies (we understand that this may be available) we were more directly concerned with an emergency situation occurring at night while someone who cannot hear the alert is asleep. As such, this cell phone application would be connected to other in home devices that would wake the person up (i.e. bed shaker, fire-alarms with strobe lights, etc.) - and then that person would proceed to check the alert on the phone, as would be customary.

Hi Everyone - Thank you so much for your input - we have used it to assess needs that we hope we can use to identify some possible solutions. I am going to list a few of them here (some of them are far-fetched and would likely never be developed) with the hope that you will identify what you like or don't like and why. We will then likely fuse the best attributes of each one to come up with a final product proposal!

Thanks from Boston!

Cell Phone app
- we will design an application for a smartphone that will link
to an individual's home detectors (ie. smoke detector, carbon monoxide
detector, home security system, sprinklers, etc) and would emit a bright
strobe light, loud piercing sound and strong vibration to wake up a person
who is hard of hearing in the middle of night in the event of a home
emergency. The app would also be linked to the National Weather Agency and
other governmental agencies that would send out weather and national
security alerts to the app as well.

Bracelet Alert -
a device that would be worn on the wrist at all times by users,
day and night, that would emit a strong vibration to the user during an
emergency situation after receiving signal alert from an outside source.
Would also have the capability of a two-way communicator so the user could
relay messages for help in an emergency if needed.

Hearing Ear Dogs
dogs that would be specifically trained to wake up a
person who is hard of hearing while they are sleeping should there be an
emergency in their home. The dog could also travel with the individual when
they are away from the home, for example in a hotel for a conference or
away on vacation.

Personal Home Alerts
a larger concept that includes home alert systems like
a bed shaker, pillow vibrator, strobe light alerter, bed sprinkler system or
odor alerter, which would be activated during a home emergency to wake up
a person who is hard of hearing. They would be tied directly to the homes'
fire alarm system, smoke detector, carbon monoxide detectors, burglary
alarm, sprinkler system, etc.

Scrolling messaging
Marquee or other banner signage in all public locations
that would scroll important emergency information 24/7 for all users to stay
up to date on events that are going on around them. Scrolling information
would be live open captioning of emergency information.

I've used or still use many of these.
Cell alerts work best. I watch tornado/hurricane warnings days in advance via Peepometer (iPad) or swackett (iPhone). No problems and it works great.
I also use IFTTT and it texts me before snow or rain (the day before)

There's a built in app for iPhone/iPad. It makes sound, and it wakes up my hearing boyfriend.

I also use a (somewhat less trained) hearing dog. She's formally trained but because I work from home she's never severely on duty. She helps for doorbell, stove, fire, intruder, etc. if it's an app though or something techy no dog would respond to that.

I get texts from the town and I also have a network of hearing friends who tell me when to anticipate something. My home has a landline for hearing people and that gets calls for emergencies.

MBASTUDENT.......I think it is amazing that you have an interest in this topic. I would definitely use option 1 & 2.

Good Luck!!!!

What I have here at home, which it more expensive that I have fire/security systems which involve whole house lights flashed and next to my bed I have security panel. Once I press the "enter" button, the light will stop flashing but it will stay on until I enter the code. The display will tell me if there's fire, carbon monoxide or intruder enter the house. If there a fire I have whole house sprinkler system that either stop the fire or to slow the fire from spreading.
The only thing it would be nice to add any weather alert like tornado. This doesn't support my security system. Yes #1 and 2 would be nice to have.

Specific Prototypes

Hi Everyone - Thank you so much for your input - we have used it to assess needs that we hope we can use to identify some possible solutions. I am going to list a few of them here (some of them are far-fetched and would likely never be developed) with the hope that you will identify what you like or don't like and why. We will then likely fuse the best attributes of each one to come up with a final product proposal!

Thanks from Boston!

Cell Phone app

This device would receive a warning from the home security system and a government warning center and would begin to vibrate/give off strobe lighting/ringing, until the person awakens checks the phone and acts accordingly.

Bracelet Alert -

This bracelet would be connected to the home security system/government warning service. When an emergency needs to be communicated this bracelet would vibrate. The person would wake up and check their regular emergency notification channel and act accordingly.

Hearing Ear Dogs
away on vacation.

This dog would be trained to hear an alarm, be it a fire alarm/government warning message through the cell phone/ etc and go to the person in danger and wake them up. The person would then proceed to check the warning and act accordingly

Personal Home Alerts

In actual terms, this would work by having the home alert system linked to the in home system - and also to government emergency services. When this system receives a warning, the bed would shake/ strobe light would go off/etc. until the person woke up and shut off the system. Presumably at this point they would get access to a control panel and see what the emergency is and act accordingly.

This is now updated with some italics with specific prototypes and how they would work. Feel free to comment on what exactly you like/dislike about them.

I am a deep sleeper, and the fire alarm here where I live does wake me up, but it takes several minutes, and I also have a bed shaker for that same fire alarm, so that part is good.

I am hard of hearing, and can hear tornado sirens, but the problem is, there isn't one close enough to home I can use to hear-- the closest one I know of is over on Ravenswood, past Peterson Ave, and that's too far away. However, my Android phone already does have severe weather alerts, so I'm okay, but it would be nice to add more.

Thanks from Boston!

Cell Phone app

Bracelet Alert -

Hearing Ear Dogs
away on vacation.

Personal Home Alerts

Scrolling messaging
Marquee or other banner signage in all public locations
that would scroll important emergency information 24/7 for all users to stay
up to date on events that are going on around them. Scrolling information
would be live open captioning of emergency information.

dogs are already being trained to be hearing dogs, I had a hearing dog
that trained alert me sounds

Hi everyone - I wanted to further clarify and correct the fourth product. It would actually emit a smell meant to wake a person up, as opposed to shaking the bed.

This product would receive an alert from a government agency or from an emergency notification system within the home and emit strong smells that would be tested and proven to wake a person up. A person would wake up and be able to turn off the smell-o-meter and then check the warning and act accordingly.

Hi everyone - I wanted to further clarify and correct the fourth product. It would actually emit a smell meant to wake a person up, as opposed to shaking the bed.

This product would receive an alert from a government agency or from an emergency notification system within the home and emit strong smells that would be tested and proven to wake a person up. A person would wake up and be able to turn off the smell-o-meter and then check the warning and act accordingly.

Bit of trivia. Some deaf people have no sense of smell due to nerve damage. This is more common in the deaf population.

Bit of trivia. Some deaf people have no sense of smell due to nerve damage. This is more common in the deaf population.

I was going to say this too. I do have a good sense of smell but I would not what so stinky smell in my bedroom and on my beddings and on my dog.

Never been in an emergency situation ( home fire, tornado, etc. ) but I do have a fire/smoke alarm that is very loud ( wouldn't matter for me since I sleep with my hearing aid out ) but is does have a strobe light that will wake me up in a second. It's never been put to use thank god but I do test it every couple months or so just to make sure it's working.

I use a light timer on a lamp to wake up in the morning. I've always been light sensitive during sleep. Lot's of times I wake up when a cop has pulled over someone at night and the flashing lights get through my windows.

I was going to say this too. I do have a good sense of smell but I would not what so stinky smell in my bedroom and on my beddings and on my dog.

:laugh2:

All he says is puts out a smell.... What kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind of smell are we speaking of here? Do I wake up to an intense smell of lilacs and daisies, or am I waking up to a fart!? I do not like the idea of waking up to a fart....

english-verbs-raise-one-eyebrow.jpg

Back