Emergency Car help!

Shoshana

Reaction score
My engine light came on, and went of and on when I start my car. My dad told me not to worry and my Boyfriend is going to take it in to get looked at when he gets home next week.

My concern is if my car ever breaks down on the side of the road--what would I do?

I have AAA, but cant call them. My dad dosent reply to my text quickly or reliabliy and I dont want to be stuck on the road like that :(

What do you do if this happens? How do you get help to come like AAA?

I have only been driving for a little over a year...and never happened yet

If it is a 1997 or newer, you can go to AutoZone for free "check engine" diagnosis.

I have called AAA using Siprelay on my cell with mixed results. Most of the times, it did work ok for me.

What do you drive??

If it is a 1997 or newer, you can go to AutoZone for free "check engine" diagnosis.

I have called AAA using Siprelay on my cell with mixed results. Most of the times, it did work ok for me.

What do you drive??

2003 Honda Element. I will tell my boyfriend about the free engine check at AutoZone, I dont like going to do car stuff alone since I dont understand any of it and always sell me things I dont need right now.

There's various possibility about engine light come on, like it's time to change oil, or your gas cap is not tight enough, or simple thing. But as far as you said about 2003 Honda Element, that's about 11 to 12 years old, depending on history of your services, it could be catalyst converter, or CO2 sensor are dying and such, those can survive it but if it's alternator (that provide electricity and charging the battery) dying, that means you may have difficulty starting your car... Just what Derickbycles says, go to autozone and once diagnostic is complete, I believe they will give you a print out of what is wrong. Some may need fix soon so it won't do any more harm to your engines.

There's various possibility about engine light come on, like it's time to change oil, or your gas cap is not tight enough, or simple thing. But as far as you said about 2003 Honda Element, that's about 11 to 12 years old, depending on history of your services, it could be catalyst converter, or CO2 sensor are dying and such, those can survive it but if it's alternator (that provide electricity and charging the battery) dying, that means you may have difficulty starting your car... Just what Derickbycles says, go to autozone and once diagnostic is complete, I believe they will give you a print out of what is wrong. Some may need fix soon so it won't do any more harm to your engines.

wow....so much! well, I had my oil changed 3 and half months ago--and new battery last year when I bought the car.

My engine light came on, and went of and on when I start my car. My dad told me not to worry and my Boyfriend is going to take it in to get looked at when he gets home next week.

My concern is if my car ever breaks down on the side of the road--what would I do?

I have AAA, but cant call them. My dad dosent reply to my text quickly or reliabliy and I dont want to be stuck on the road like that :(

What do you do if this happens? How do you get help to come like AAA?

I have only been driving for a little over a year...and never happened yet

Is MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) "Check Engine" flash or just turned ON and stay on during drive?

Flash mean engine may be damage and stay light on mean almost no harm your engine but poor efficiency fuel due sensor(s) failed. I hope your sensor got failed and they may not expensive to replace.

What do you drive??

It's 1996 or newer.

Do you plan to take the car to the mechanic at all, though?

Fuzzy

It stays on when driving.

Yes, when my boyfriend comes home he will go with me, I dont like to deal with this alone.

Good, because then you will know for sure as we can only keep guessing :)

Re: your earlier question what would you do if your car broke and you were alone.
I am always terrified of the same alone, or what if my car runs out of gas :shock:

I don't even have cell phone!

Well, the first thing of course is to let everyone know your car broke down by raising the hood up and set the emergency lights on.

I figure I can flag people down and explain I am deaf/HoH -whatever,
and ask them to call hubby for me and ask him to come get me whenever I am.
Pple usually are quite willing to do that (call someone for me)(I've been in this situation before - needing a stranger to call for me)

If you have your own phone, you may try to call whomever is closest to you to come and get you or to help you.

About AAA I found this:

06/16/99 BW Online--Assistive Technology: A New Lifeline for Hearing-Impaired Motorists Who Get Stranded
this is kind of old, but I suppose you can try and find out whatever happend to thes eprograms or whatever.

Also, here is where you enter your zip code
and then you are supposed to find a ph # you can call if you are "hearing impaired".

AAA Home

Try these now,
so you be well prepared for future and will always feel safe knowing
you are well prepared if anything happens to you while you are alone.

Fuzzy

Good, because then you will know for sure as we can only keep guessing :)

Re: your earlier question what would you do if your car broke and you were alone.
I am always terrified of the same alone, or what if my car runs out of gas :shock:

I don't even have cell phone!

Well, the first thing of course is to let everyone know your car broke down by raising the hood up and set the emergency lights on.

I figure I can flag people down and explain I am deaf/HoH -whatever,
and ask them to call hubby for me and ask him to come get me whenever I am.
Pple usually are quite willing to do that (call someone for me)(I've been in this situation before - needing a stranger to call for me)

If you have your own phone, you may try to call whomever is closest to you to come and get you or to help you.

About AAA I found this:

06/16/99 BW Online--Assistive Technology: A New Lifeline for Hearing-Impaired Motorists Who Get Stranded
this is kind of old, but I suppose you can try and find out whatever happend to thes eprograms or whatever.

Also, here is where you enter your zip code
and then you are supposed to find a ph # you can call if you are "hearing impaired".

AAA Home

Try these now,
so you be well prepared for future and will always feel safe knowing
you are well prepared if anything happens to you while you are alone.

Fuzzy

Some good ideas! Id be too scared to flag down a stranger on the street or highway like that....I guess I could always text my boyfriend to call help for me, he replys fast :)

It could be fuel cap is loosening, new cap might shut down the yellow engine light.

This happened to MIL's car, but it was so old that it won't help. It ended up being a cracked head. Shoshana, if I can help at all, since I live locally, please let me know. I will PM you my cell phone number.

Hondas are notorious for having oxygen sensor issues. Most auto parts places will plug in their OBDII monitor and give you the code. If your car runs fine, it is most likely one of the two oxygen sensors gone bad. If you replace it yourself, it is about $75, but if you have a shop replace it, it is about $180.

Just be on the lookout for shops telling you that you need a new catalytic convertor. If they tell you you need one, get a second opinion, since they are expensive ($800-$1100).

:hmm: this is interesting to know in regards to the light as my engine light came on too and we have Hondas. I just read hubby some parts of the this thread and now if he doesn't work on it <he has the knowledge, but not much time, to fix cars> and I take it in, I am forewarned!:ty:

Shoshana, good luck with getting your car fixed!

What kind of phone do you have shoshana?

Why can't you call AAA?
Call the police. They come right away. They'll even call a tow-truck for you.
I live in California and my dad and I got stuck in the middle of nowhere once, called the police and there got there a bit after and helped us out.

Why can't you call AAA?
I live in California and my dad and I got stuck in the middle of nowhere once, called the police and there got there a bit after and helped us out.

have you tried calling AAA yourself? it's that bad and difficult for deafies.

Getting help

Some good ideas! Id be too scared to flag down a stranger on the street or highway like that....I guess I could always text my boyfriend to call help for me, he replys fast :)

This is what I do now that i am deaf. If I need my husband or son in an emergency i will text them and at the end of the text put 911. Then they will know it is urgent to contact me. Works for us, if hubby is in a meeting and i need him fast he will see the 911 drop his meeting and get in touch with me.
This also will work if your car breaks down and you need someone there quick.

Wirelessly posted

Jiro said:
Why can't you call AAA?

have you tried calling AAA yourself? it's that bad and difficult for deafies.

Ooh. I'm hearing and new to the deaf community. That detail completely slipped my mind.

Back