Effectiveness Of CI on Late Implantee

plight

Reaction score
First i would like to say hello. :)

I myself am not deaf but my girlfriend is profoundly deaf. Just recently, she has made the decision to get a CI. She has been deaf since she was very very young due to meningitis and hearing aids havnt worked very well for her in the past.

I have done a bit of research and they say the younger the implantee the better. My GF is 21 and I guess we are just cuirous as to the type of "benefits" she will get from a CI. So i guess im basically looking for experience from profoundly deaf individuals that were implanted around the same age.

How long have you been implanted?
How long did it take for you to be able to understand verbal speech and what about music? (she loves to dance, lol, i love her so much, hehe)

I have also heard that adults tend to plateau very quickly (few years) when it comes to hearing/speech development.

So i guess im just basically wondering if theres anyone around here that got a CI under the same circumstances and what it has done for you.

Thanks in advance.

Plight: The progress each person makes with a CI varies, but there are several factors that can help determine how well a person may do:

* Age/onset of hearing loss: While it is true that early implantation in infants and children increases the likelihood of success with a CI, it is also true that late-deafened adults can also receive significant benefit from a CI.

* Language development: Children and adults who are proficient in English are more likely to have greater success with a CI. Having said that, there are many prelingually deaf children and adults who have excellent English skills and do just as well -- if not better -- than those who are postlingually (late) deafened.

* Length/duration of deafness: I don't know how much (if any) hearing your girlfriend had while growing up, but even a tiny amount of residual hearing can help a person better understand what they hear with a CI. A person who has some auditory memory of sound (compared to someone who was born completely deaf) can take those experiences/memories and associate/apply them to what he/she hears through their CI.

* Brain's adjustment: There is some degree of brain wiring that goes on. Some people (for whatever reason) are better able to interpret/understand what they hear through their CI than others. This has nothing to do with intelligence or the CI itself -- it's just a difference in the way we process auditory information. Some people are better visual learners. Some are better auditory learners. Some people take longer than others to understand what they hear through a CI, but once they make that "connection" between what is seen and heard, progress can rival those who are able to understand speech from the moment their CI is turned on.

* Committment/dedication to learn how to hear with a CI: Some people who are implanted expect to understand speech the moment their CI is activated. Learning how to hear with a CI takes time and patience. The comparison between a baby who must crawl before he can walk is similar to the learning process with a CI. Listening and understanding what one hears must be done in small steps. For example, you can't expect to converse with people in a noisy environment until you're able to separate environmental sounds from speech.

As for myself --

I'm 34 years old and received a CI last December. I've had my CI activated for 5 months.

In terms of my hearing loss background, I was diagnosed with a mild hearing loss at age 3, but didn't wear HAs until age 15 for a moderately-severe loss. By age 25 my loss dropped to severe-profound and by age 34, it was profound.

Since I have been able to hear/understand speech until 2-3 years ago (when I lost what speech discrimination I had in my right ear -- left ear had no speech discrimination for the past 10 years), I have a strong auditory memory and know what speech sounds like.

Although I'm late-deafened, it took me 3-4 weeks before I could start to understand speech with my CI. Even then it wasn't complete understanding -- more like random words here and there depending on the person speaking.

I am now at the 5 month mark. At my 3 month evaluation I was able to undersand 96% of sentences in quiet and 90% of sentences in noise. Pre-CI, my percentages were 22% for sentences in quiet and 0% for sentences in noise.

As for music -- I love listening to music! I'm especially fond of instrumental and vocal music. Some rock and pop music tends to be "hit or miss" because the more instruments and voices there are, the more difficult it is for me to hear. Several instruments played at once sound like a cacophony of blurred sound. Since I've only been activated for 5 months, I don't know if this is something that will improve in time. The good news? Repeated exposure to music that I enjoy makes it sound better and better each time I hear it.

When listening to music with a CI, it is recommended that a person start by listening to music that they remember so they can associate a sound (for example, a steady drumbeat) to what they hear. I think this is excellent advice. Most of the music I used to enjoy before losing my hearing now sounds "normal" to me. In other words, a flute sounds like a flute and a clarinet sounds like a clarinet. Because I grew up with hearing and remember the way these instruments sound, they are easy for me to recognize when I hear them with my CI.

One of the most important things I'd like to suggest is that you don't let others discourage your girlfriend from getting a CI just because she has been deaf for a long time. There are many prelingually deaf adults who do very well with a CI.

In regards to your question about performance plateaus...While there is no *definite* plateau (because of the factors named above), some CI surgeons and audis notice that adults tend to do very well with their CI during the first 3-6 months, plateau at the 6th or 7th month, but steadily improve during the next 6-12 months. I would think that as long as a person uses their CI consistently and pairs together speech understanding with lipreading or sign (if one has these skills), they should not experience a significant decrease in their ability to hear/understand speech with a CI at 1, 2 or 3 years post activation.

Hope this helps! :)

Deaf woman considering CIs.

I'm almost 22 and was born profoundly deaf by genetics. I don't understand MANY of spoken words in English language. I'm planning to have a conductive interview with CI consultants at the hospital to see if I'm a candidate. If I am, then I'm gonna go ahead with it. I see MANY people with CIs don't.... in my words, "turn out too good" or keep up with their pathology and post-surgery therapy. I understand that it will be 2-4 years before I can FINALLY be able to understand and speak English. Before I'm 30, I may be a hearing woman with a speech device in her head, lol. I support your woman, plight.

ChandaMija: I know someone who was born profoundly deaf and received a CI at the age of 43. She was able to understand 47% of speech without lipreading after her first year of having a CI. Not bad at all for someone who has soley relied on lipreading her entire life! The progress each person makes with a CI varies, but this example shows that if someone is willing to put forth the time, dedication and effort to learn how to hear with a CI, people with prelingual deafness can experience success with a CI. When I talk about "success," I'm not necessarily referring to speech understanding. For many CI users, success means being able to hear environmental sounds.

If you have questions about CIs or would like to meet other CI recipients who are prelingually or postlingually deaf, you may want to join a list called CIHear. CIHear is an e-mail list designed for CI candidates/recipients, family members, friends and anyone else who is interested in CIs. To subscribe, send a blank message to:

CIHear-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

You can also find a wealth of information about CIs (including recipient stories) on the CIHear website at:

http://www.cihear.com

Good luck with your candidacy! :)

Last edited:
It seems that the results vary from person to person. I have interpreted for several clients with CIs, and each one is different. Some do their own voicing, some do not.

I admit that I was surprised the first time that I interpreted for a client with a CI. I had assumed that people with CIs didn't need terps.

Yeah Reba it really really varies tremdously....just as with hearing aids. I mean there are people who are severe or profoundly deaf who with aids are functionally hoh....I don't really think there is any way to reliably predict how well a person will do with CI....however b/c they are more powerful then aids, plight's girlfriend might be able to hear more then with hearing aids. BTW, plight what's your defintion of not being able to hear well?
Just wanted to say that it's great that your girlfriend isn't jumping into this lightly!!!! I see too many people getting caught up in the hype and buying into the hype....sort of like the way some people and experts buy into the hype that digital aids are better then analogs!

deafdyke: Your point about not rushing into a CI is an excellent one.

I researched CIs for almost two years before I decided to be evaluated. Even then, I wasn't entirely sure this was something I wanted to do. I continually asked my surgeon, audi and CI recipients all kinds of questions about realistic expectations and how a CI may help me -- as well as asking for the best and worst case scenario. By the time I had my surgery I had all of the information I was looking for and was convinced that, yes, this *was* something I wanted to do.

One of the problems I have with "CI hype" are the claims made on company websites about which implant is the best. I also have a problem with the jargon that is used. CI candidates are already overwhelmed without also having to sort through terminology they don't understand.

If people don't educate themselves as much as possible before getting a CI, they will be sadly disappointed.

deafdyke said:
Yeah Reba it really really varies tremdously....just as with hearing aids. I mean there are people who are severe or profoundly deaf who with aids are functionally hoh....I don't really think there is any way to reliably predict how well a person will do with CI....however b/c they are more powerful then aids, plight's girlfriend might be able to hear more then with hearing aids. BTW, plight what's your defintion of not being able to hear well?
Just wanted to say that it's great that your girlfriend isn't jumping into this lightly!!!! I see too many people getting caught up in the hype and buying into the hype....sort of like the way some people and experts buy into the hype that digital aids are better then analogs!

Unlike a few stupid ppl over at HE who shall remain nameless :evil: May they............................not hear :evil:

deafdyke: Actually, CIs are not more *powerful* than hearing aids because they do not amplify sounds like hearing aids do. Rather, CIs provide clarity allowing severely or profoundly deaf people to hear sounds and/or speech more clearly (as opposed to hearing distortion/static through a HA). CIs also allow a person to hear low, middle and high frequencies in the 20-30 dB range compared to aided thresholds that may be in the 30-70+ dB range.

That being said, you're right about many severely or profoundly deaf people functioning quite well with hearing aids and assistive listening devices. I was one of them. I've had severe-profound hearing loss for the past 10 years. My left ear has had no speech discrimination in all that time, yet I was able to continue using an FM system until 2-3 years ago when I lost what discrimination I had in my right ear.

i have had c.i for 4 months and it's pretty good but varies in areas of sound.Speech is kinda dissapointing,environmental sounds are really good,music is very good with "clean" sounds-fuzzy rock sounds terrible,dance style instrumentals sound best,music with lyrics can be a bit of an overload of sounds.Experiences are different for everyone though

I been a candidate for the CI since the early stages of CI's development. My audiologist was the famous Dr. Howard House the founder of the House Ear Institute at that time. However I have been too busy at that time to be meddling wih my own self. And there's also social implications of getting the CI as well.

Last night at the Block at Orange, I've seen some deaf leaders are still dissing other deaf leaders like the CEO of WRAD who got the CI.

Richard

Oh I know what you mean Breezy darling!!!!!! That place SUCKS!!!!!
Hear Again, Yeah I know that CIs don't work the same as hearing aids do, but the end result is the same....right? I mean I've heard CIs referred to as amplification devices..... it really is interesting how some people acheive hoh levels with hearing aids, and others can only do so with CIs.

deafdyke: I think alot of what a person can/cannot hear with their hearing aids has to do with two things: 1.) their ability to use residual hearing effectively (some people never learn how to do this) and 2.) the amount of residual hearing a person has. In my case, I was able to use FM systems until 2-3 years ago when I lost what speech discrimination I had in my right ear. When I was tested for a CI, I was surprised to learn that I had no measurable hearing aided or unaided above 1000 Hz, 90-120 dB unaided from 250-1000 Hz and 70-90+ dB aided from 250-1000 Hz. Many people tried convincing me to exclusively rely on tactile sign or captioning, but I insisted on continuing to use what residual hearing I had even though I wasn't understanding anything I heard. What I also find interesting is how some people label themselves as "deaf" when they have a mild or moderate hearing loss while those with severe and profound losses call themselves "hard of hearing." Even though I've been profoundly deaf for the past 10 years, I've always referred to myself as "deafblind," "hard of hearing" or "blind and hard of hearing." For whatever reason, I couldn't call myself deaf -- probably because as a totally blind person I've always relied on my hearing and have been raised to use what hearing I have the best I can. In fact, all of the audis I've had have always commented on how well I use my hearing despite the degree of my loss. As one audi put it, "You use your hearing better than some of my clients who have mild losses." :)

Unfortunately there is alot of misunderstanding in the media when it comes to CIs. References to CIs as amplification devices (or hearing aids) is incorrect. They are prosthetic devices that allow a severe or profoundly deaf person to perceive sound and/or speech. Other misunderstandings about CIs are that cochlear implant surgery is a type of brain surgery (which it clearly is not) and that a visible hole is drilled into a person's skull (a small "well" is drilled in the mastoid bone just above and behind the ear where the implant is placed). Just as with issues concerning hearing loss, deafness and other disability issues, the media still has alot to learn about CIs. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses :)

My gf was actually deaf since 10 months old due to spinal meningitis. And like i said, she receieved very little help from eharing aids in the past.

Upon furthur research, i discovered that the fact she did have hearing for 10 months might even help . Anyone know where i can find any other research like that?

your girlfriend have the same as mine.. i was born hearing.. become deaf due to menigits at 2 and half yrs old... i'm implanted at 25..

what i can say.. i'm now 1 month wearing CI. the sounds are getting better day by day.. learning.. it takes alot of motiviation. like i say.. you need alot of practice.

i regionize the sounds much easier and know what it is. hearing the turn signals in my car, hearing the train crossing lights, hearing some of stop lights beeping, every sounds are new to me.. i have to go and find what it is from.. and what the sounds is.

still the speech isn't helping me much.. sounds metallic.. but there are FEW words are understandable like ummm.. ohhh... you....

the most important thing is NEVER get HIGH EXPECTIONS. if you have high expections it will be a bit depressed on ur first day of hook-up. always keep low expections.. always on ur first day you will NEVER like it.. never liked the sound on my first day.. also.. you won't understand anything at all on ur first day.

but week by week.. every new mappings it gets better thru time.. i still have couple of mappings left. the freedom implant is nice.. but i'm wondering what others sound like i'm wondering if 2nd recent brand the nucleus contour is better? but i cant wear them since i'm implanted the nucleus freedom the most recent brand...

It does take a while for someone to be able to hear and speak and that stuff from ci..

I know one guy from my elementary school, we actually grew up together til grade 7 then we went separate ways. But He got implanted when he was 5, and both of us transferred to hearing school (from deaf school) that was close to our house (we live in same city) anyway, I remember him being implanted when he was transferred. But All through elementary school, til i was in grade 6, he could not speak, I cant remember if he actually could hear a bit or something. I transferrred back to deaf school in grade 7, and lost touch with him. Til hmm two summers ago, I bumped into him at a computer camp for the HoH, Deaf, and Learning Disabled (there was like 5 deafies, 2 or 3 hoh) and the rest learning disabled (there wa 30 in all) Anyway, WHen i discovered that he and i were going to be in the same group and camp, i was thrilled, and surprised how much he had changed and improved. He could talk, he could hear alot of stuff, i actually was talking to him cuz he kinda forgot some signs (his mom doesnt want him to sign) but I never thought I would be talking in voice with this kid, and there i was, talking to him. He was hmm, 15 years old at the time, so basically 10 years later, he could speak and is still learning more speech etc.
So it depends on the individuals some improve quick, some take 10 years to improve.

Ci

I was born HOH (one ear a little distorted; one ear deaf) and was not implanted until age 48 when ear with nerve damage passed the 90db loss plateau. After 3 years, I can hear and distinguish environmental sounds - turn signal, horns, trains, kids screaming (we have 11), etc. - but not words. I didn't expect words not having ever heard in that ear before; the environmental sounds are a bonus.

Everybody is different.

LD

she did have hearing for 10 months might even help . Anyone know where i can find any other research like that?
I thought it was commonly accepted that people who lost their hearing, even as infants do better with CI then someone who never had the hearing in the first place....that might be another reason why CI "failures" are so unusual...only about ten percent of deaf people were born that way...not sure how it measures up in the total population of pedatric hearing loss...

Back