Education Part ll

JOEBIALEK

Reaction score
This is the second part to an earlier writing about education in the United States. As you may recall, I advocated for the privatization of all schools from kindergarten to graduate studies. This piece will focus on the curriculum that needs to be followed.

Everytime I encounter someone in the workplace, I am reminded of just how much we have failed to properly educate United States citizens in the fundamentals of communication: reading, writing and speaking. Few would argue that the time is long overdue for the United States to "get back to the basics" of a fully functional education system. We need to exclusively focus on the development of communication skills from kindergarten to eighth grade along with annual testing that measures apptitude and interest. Training in mathematics should be limited to addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Unless communication skills are fully mastered, there is no need to advance to high school.

For those who graduate to high school, the emphasis could evolve into a curriculum of philosophy, sociology, economics, psychology, science and religious studies. Books such as "For Dummies" and "The Complete Idiot's Guide" could be used to foster an understanding of different religions. Athletic activity would be strictly confined to cardio vascular exercises and all sports would be eliminated. While there would still be an emphasis on communication skills, the focus would now be on developing a foundation of basic knowledge so as to be able to graduate to college. Testing for apptitude and interest would continue through high school increasing the chances of picking the right field of study . Those not continuing on to college would enter some type of apprenticeship training for the purpose of learning a trade. For those who do graduate to college, the student would continue to study an advanced version of the same curriculum as high school but only for the first two years then they would complete their education by strictly focusing on coursework designed to train them in their field of study. Nearing graduation, internships would be required to begin the transition to the working world. Think of how different our society would be if our education system could just teach the fundamentals of reading, writing and speaking.

For those "Mainstream is the BEST" advocates......NO, it is NOT the best. A mainstream education is HORRIBLE. God, even a lot of those people who were very pro-mainstream, are now cynical and jaded as to mainstream education.
It's too "one size fits all" and is geared more towards the mythical Average Learner or towards the suburban Acheiver who simply wants to go to Harvard or a Name Brand School.
Oh, and it's not superfluous subjects that are distracting us from learning....it's the "One Size Fits All Learners Equally Well" mentality that is really messing up education!

I think there should be a lot more options within the school system, but frankly--many teachers are too LAZY for this.

Example: When I was little, I had almost no self-control at all, because of ADHD. I could not take medication for it, and now that I'm older, I'm very glad I never did. But what this meant was, I caused all sorts of trouble in class from talking too much. The schools told my mother that I would need to be put in a "special education" program. Since this was the late 80s, early 90s, this was not a very customized thing! Nobody would have been available or willing to teach me on the academic level that I needed--which was advanced. Finding this combination--an environment where I could be taught self-control, AND receive the kind of instruction I needed to be happy--was basically impossible.

I was VERY fortunate, because my mother did not work outside the home, and was able to come up with a compromise that would allow me to be in the "regular" classroom. She came to school with me every day. Supposedly her job was to be a "teacher's aide", but what that really meant was that she dealt with all of my discipline issues. That way, the teacher didn't have to spend her energy trying to keep me quiet, and I could still be there and learn.

To JOEBIALEK--I think it would be very good to have apprenticeships available for those who would rather not go to college, or who lack those kinds of skills. Too many kids end up either not able to get into college, or flunking out, and then getting stuck in low-paying retail jobs. But some of these could probably master (and enjoy) skilled trades, some of which pay upwards of $20 an hour once you get good. That's actually a pretty good wage. And what's more--I talked to a guy from a manufacturing plant once, and he said it's hard to find enough people for those skilled jobs!

However, I'm not sure about limiting mathematical training. What I got in high school has served me well in college, and I would've had a hard time in college if I'd not had the classes I did.

Back