Education Material

david40price

Reaction score
Hello, I am currently learning ASL and I'm quite new at this relatively speaking.

I have been struggling a bit as my class is only one day per week for 2 hours, which I don't think is nearly enough.

Anyway, I have been looking for study aids. I came across the following, can anyone tell me if these are worth buying or if there is something better?

Fingerspelled Word Recognition through Rapid Serial Visual Presentation (RSVP)

Signing Naturally 1-6 Student Set

Thanks much!

What curriculum are you using in your class?

I would try to find more ways to practice live (with classmates) or with free resources online. There's no need to spend lots of money on books and DVD's at this stage.

Once you get down the basics, I encourage you to seek out Deaf events that you can attend.

In the meantime, study as much as you can about Deaf culture so when you do meet Deaf people you won't make the usual hearing person social gaffes.

Is your instructor hearing or deaf?

My instructor is Deaf, at least from the class I took this last Winter/Spring. I start a new class in two weeks but am not sure yet who is teaching it.

I am going to a Deaf club this Friday with hopes that I will be able to progress quicker like you said.

The book we have been using is called "Signing How to Speak with your hands" by Elaine Costello. I don't think the illustrations are very good so I also use the American Sign Language Dictionary by Martin Sternberg but neither of these help with proper sentence structure.

I've been doing pretty good with Deaf culture and have been learning as much as I can. I work with a lot of different cultures, so it is never an issue for me to have to watch what I'm saying. By nature I just would not say anything stupid as its not in my nature to say something offensive. Being a minority myself "gay" I get it.

Can you recommend any free resources online? I've been using a online fingerspelling flash card system and it is helping me in that manner but I have a ways to go yet.

Thank you for the feedback!

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

If you haven't already been to the aslpro.com site - it's definately a "must have resource".

Also, signingsavvy and lifeprint (both dot coms).

For receptive practice, there are some youtube videos but you have to be careful of the sources. The CODA Brothers videos are good because they combine culture insights and signing in a format that adults can enjoy. (Meaning, it's not the typical deaf parents and kids going to the zoo and naming the animals scenario.)

I use LifePrint and my Hearing-accepted-by-the-Deaf-Community friend has just started putting instructional vids online on youtube. This is her numbers instructional, the first one she's done. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VE6-Ig7uYQ&feature=plcp]ASL numbers (part 1) - YouTube[/ame]
I know that you can't always trust the youtube ones, but she has been learning/using ASL for like 8 years or so.

Good luck in your lessons!
Gypsy

Thank you very much everyone. I'm actually digging through lifeprint and find it very very helpful. I'll check out all the material though as I find no one resource is the be all-end all site, so a combination of them seems to work.

Thank you gypsy. I have dug into using lifeprint and I am really liking it. Heck, I wish they had some lessons like this in class when I had it. This is much better in my opinion.

We use Signing Naturally in my class, but you really would need an instructor to get the full benefit of the curriculum.

Lifeprint is one of the best online resources I've seen online personally.

Thank you very much. I have been using the flash cards for finger spelling, but had not see the one for numbers, so that is a great addition!

Thanks, -David

Back