education/job

paperclip

Reaction score
I recently read a few posts that inspired a new thread. Rather than derailing a the original thread, I thought I'd start a new one.

I was wondering several related topics. I'm interested in hearing from people who were hoh/deaf/Deaf at the time of their first employment related to their career. All are free to contribute to this thread though!

1) What kind of education did you pursue (highschool, trade, university, etc) and did you get a job in your desired field? Did someone choose your education path?

2) What are the advantages and disadvantage of that education that you pursued?

3) Do "oral" hoh/deaf people have advantages? Some of you have made decisions to no longer be "oral," did this affect you?

4) And lastly, would you have pursued another career without certain influences?

I'll start.

I finished a BS and finishing my MS right now. I am still writing my thesis, so I have not tried to obtain employment (outside of academia) yet. It was made clear to me from the beginning of my childhood, I was going to college and I had to pursue a career with jobs available. My parents did not discourage me from anything though, I discouraged myself from certain fields by over thinking or not challenging myself.

One advantage in academic environments (for me personally) is that at first glance, most people look at grades and research publications. Interviews are often not required. I'm afraid of leaving an academic environment where my hearing loss becomes a part of the "package" in hiring me.

I'm oral all the way right now. If I refused to give oral presentations, I'd be in trouble.

When I was younger, I wanted to be a dancer. Did not pursue it mainly because of skill. I also wanted to work in film (cameraman/editing), but didn't choose it because I saw it as a very competitive field. In college, I wanted to be a doctor, but did not pursue it because I was afraid of the potential lawsuits from a misunderstanding. Thus, I ended up in physics/water sanitation.

Back