Education/IEP/Literacy

all oral, all well educated, well married to hearing spouses, and.....very important in my eyes......able to construct extremely grammatical sentences, something I see sadly missing in posts from users of asl.
Kathy, that's b/c users of ASL approach English as a second language. Look at a messageboard where there are a lot of native speakers of a second language using English. You'll see people saying stuff like "Are you feel better?"

Kathy, that's b/c users of ASL approach English as a second language. Look at a messageboard where there are a lot of native speakers of a second language using English. You'll see people saying stuff like "Are you feel better?"

deafdyke - That is really such a blanket statement, no offense intended. You do not learn English as a second language if you do not have a first language. Some deaf children and their families have not been informed about their choices. They have not been educated on how to provide the necessary tools to accomplish a first, fluent and inclusive familial language.

Language delay is language delay, whether it be ASL or English or Polish or......

deafdyke - That is really such a blanket statement, no offense intended. You do not learn English as a second language if you do not have a first language. Some deaf children and their families have not been informed about their choices. They have not been educated on how to provide the necessary tools to accomplish a first, fluent and inclusive familial language.

Language delay is language delay, whether it be ASL or English or Polish or......

Yes it is. And language delay is seen more often and to a greater extent in the hearing children of deaf parents who insist on an orally based langauge as the first an only language for those children than in any subpopulation of deaf.

Sorry, i disagree...the hearing couple with the deaf 2 year old who just learned ASL is a perfect example why this statement is wrong. Their daughter just scored 6 months above her age level in language development which is ASL and she will learn English as her 2nd language.

Sorry, i disagree...the hearing couple with the deaf 2 year old who just learned ASL is a perfect example why this statement is wrong. Their daughter just scored 6 months above her age level in language development which is ASL and she will learn English as her 2nd language.

shel90- What part of my post do you disagree with? :dunno2:

shel90- What part of my post do you disagree with? :dunno2:

ooops..my mistake..I read your post wrong..I thought u said all deaf children and their families have not been informed about their choices...my apologies. :)

ooops..my mistake..I read your post wrong..I thought u said all deaf children and their families have not been informed about their choices...my apologies. :)

shel90 - No worries. Thanks for clarifying.
:)

Language delay is language delay, whether it be ASL or English or Polish or......[/QUOTE]

I do agree with u on that one! :giggle:

Anyways...that's why I dont like the view "If all fails, there is always ASL" it doesnt work that way like u pointed out...a language delay is a language delay no matter what.

Language delay is language delay, whether it be ASL or English or Polish or......[/QUOTE]

I do agree with u on that one! :giggle:

Anyways...that's why I dont like the view "If all fails, there is always ASL" it doesnt work that way like u pointed out...a language delay is a language delay no matter what.

Can't disagree that a language delay is a language delay. The point is, what is the better way to address those delays. If a child is delayed in ASL, for example, it is generally through lack of exposure. Exposure alone to a language that is readily available to that child will correct those delays.

A deaf child delayed in language because they have been forced to rely on spoken language only, however, is not such a simple case to remediate, unless they are provided a language model which they can readily absorb and understand. If a language delayed child is forced to remain in the very environment responsible for that delay, the delay will never be corrected. It will be compounded.

Back