Ebay Selling tips.

ClearSky

Reaction score
I want to sell stuff I have to earn some money. I just have one question. How do you figure out the shipping for ebay? Do you have to individually take each item to weight it?

I want to sell stuff I have to earn some money. I just have one question. How do you figure out the shipping for ebay? Do you have to individually take each item to weight it?

You need go your post office and ask them about how much for shipping and handling. If you set your own ebay business, You can buy weight product from post office or Ups. Also open an account with post office or Ups so they can arrange to pick the package from your house every week.

I never order or buy anything from "e-bay", because I saw news not long ago that e-bays is having problems now.

Actually ebay has a built-in feature in the shipping/handling portion that you can put in your zip code and it configures the cost of postage for you. (And you can add on whatever $ you need for packaging and handling expenses.)

I tried to find the feature when trying to list my first item. I am trying to sell cosmetics stuff I don't need. They are new. I asked for LiveHelp, and she said to have it at a flat rate. I am guessing it means to sell it for the price the person bidded. I still need to sell 5 more items before I can sell an item without auctioning it by using "Buy It Now." There was a bug that wasn't allowing me to set it the way she was instructing me to do so. She said to try again the next day to set it the way she told me to.

There is a feature where you enter the weight in pounds (lb.) then ounzes (oz), but the bottle is in fl. oz, and I don't think that's the same as oz.

If I want to weight it, then I have to go to weight it or buy a scale to weight my products.

I have used half.com in the past, which is how I sold 5 college textbooks.

I beleive that US ebay do have online ebay weight cost for shipping because we have like this in German ebay. I will go to US ebay to check ebay shipping cost when I'm home from work tonight. (I use ebay for the world). I will post when I find US link in ebay for shipping item.

I never order or buy anything from "e-bay", because I saw news not long ago that e-bays is having problems now.

I didn't have problem that I bought quilt kit from seller of ebay. I been member with ebay for many years. Of course Ebay do have problem sometime but they can fix. Look at many business do have problem. Humans do have problem. We are learning to how fix and do correct. Sigh, :roll:

Thank you Liebling. I'd like to know. Would make my time easier than go to the post office.

Thank you Liebling. I'd like to know. Would make my time easier than go to the post office.

Welcome :D

You can see "Ebay" then click... then it will tell you how much and how many weight... You need to measure the package/parcel... then it will tell you automatic how much shipping cost. I often use like that when I deliver the package/parcel.

USPS - Online Postage

Thanks Liebling.

Am I able to get a general shipping cost for USA shipping instead of figuring out how much to each zip code address.? I don't have any items sold yet, but it seems that I need to list a shipping cost. My stuff are not in packages until it is sold.

Will the shipping cost be an estimate? Does it have to be exact shipping cost?

If u see lousy descripition and/or lousy feedback with alot negative feedback, dont buy it!! Other than that, they are good and high trust seller...

be sure put little high shipping cost than regular since u will have to pay some fees for eBay and PayPal, also ur box/tape and drive to USPS... for example, jersey should be 5 or 6 dollars shipping then put up to 10 dollars...

That's true. I am learning about selling on ebay and using pay pal. I see that they charge a small fee for the services used. I try to set it as low as I can for the products I am selling. I will calculate it and add a bit more.

I use the post office. Why use USPS? Is there a difference? I am curious. I thought the post office is less of a hassle. Let me know if I am missing something about USPS.

I thought that using paypal is much safer than receiving a check that you never know if it has enough funds in it, but I realize it's probably cheaper to request only check payment to avoid the paypal fees.

I have been a ebay seller for a long time. I recommend you to charge shipping AND handling fee when you sell items, you get a profit because you have to drive to drop the item off, labor for packing the item, etc. For example, when you are shipping an item for $4.85 priority mail..you should charge maybe $5.50-6 shipping and handling charge. Lot of people do that to get extra profit. You can use the shipping calculator on USPS, UPS and fed ex websites to get a better idea how much the shipping charge will be. It isn't hard to do that.

I have Ebay member for 4 years. But I haven't sell anything yet. I should to do it. I used to buy stuff from ebay before.

It doesn't seem easy, yet. I just started to sell on ebay, and the shipping doesn't seem to be easy to grasp how to do it efficiently.

What's not easy to understand are the different ways to ship items like parcel post, first class, flat rate, etc. etc. Of course, I would rather choose the cheapest option. A tracking number is always a good idea to make sure the item got to the person's house.

I weighed all of my stuff at the post office. Stuff I want to get rid off. Some items weight too much that it needs a zip code. How will I state a weight? It wouldn't reveal to me the weight. Just asking for zip code. Well, I won't know the zip code of the person who's going to buy it.

It doesn't seem easy, yet. I just started to sell on ebay, and the shipping doesn't seem to be easy to grasp how to do it efficiently.

What's not easy to understand are the different ways to ship items like parcel post, first class, flat rate, etc. etc. Of course, I would rather choose the cheapest option. A tracking number is always a good idea to make sure the item got to the person's house.

I weighed all of my stuff at the post office. Stuff I want to get rid off. Some items weight too much that it needs a zip code. How will I state a weight? It wouldn't reveal to me the weight. Just asking for zip code. Well, I won't know the zip code of the person who's going to buy it.

You will know the zip code after the person bought your item. They provide you the shipping address. Give it time and you will understand how shipping/handling stuff works.

That's true. I am learning about selling on ebay and using pay pal. I see that they charge a small fee for the services used. I try to set it as low as I can for the products I am selling. I will calculate it and add a bit more.

I use the post office. Why use USPS? Is there a difference? I am curious. I thought the post office is less of a hassle. Let me know if I am missing something about USPS.

I thought that using paypal is much safer than receiving a check that you never know if it has enough funds in it, but I realize it's probably cheaper to request only check payment to avoid the paypal fees.
If you're willing to accept checks, it's better to get money orders than personal checks.

Money orders are like cash. Someone pays money to get a money order. You get that money order and it immediately goes into your bank account (or a bit later).

Personal checks require several days to be processed and approved. If you accept personal checks, then you should add a comment that if they pay with personal checks, it will be several days before you can ship the item due to waiting for the personal check to be approved.

Credit cards and Paypal are pretty much instant. Some people do "Paypal Only" for their auctions. :)

I know a lot of people usually add a lot of things within the shipping & handling.

While the box could be cheap (or left-over from old boxes), there's also the issue of shipping costs and tracking. If you wanted to be sure that the mail arrived at that person's place, then you could add tracking to your package for an extra charge. Include that in the "shipping & handling" fees for the item you're selling.

Back