Eating healthier

Silentwolfdog

Reaction score
*Sighs* Yo fellow ADers! Help!

I am thinking about trying to eat better. I am not in college anymore so I can't get away with instant ramen or frozen pizza anymore! Haha.

Well, problem is, I hate to cook and I am lousy at it, so keep that in mind.
Next problem...I am picky eater but is willing to try new items though.

So throw in ideas for awesome veg/fruit/rice/whatever else to eat for lunch and dinner.

List of food I hate or doesn't want to eat:
Tomato
Green/Red peppers
Wasabi
Banana
(Bread, but if it's healthy dish then it's okay)

So, help me out? Got any recipes that are good, healthy, and also inexpensive? (And not too hard to make too!)

I thought about buying lettuce, slices of roast beef, and swiss cheese to make a sandwich using lettuce instead of bread or pita? That's for lunch.

That's just one example.

Learn to cook basic recipes and always freeze half, that way you get a day off for every day you cook. :)

I always have on-hand one of those large packages of organic spring greens in my fridge and fixings that are easy to prepare: peeled baby carrots, English cucumber, garbanzo beans, etc. I can put together a healthy salad in about 2 minutes.

I make my own dressing using balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, italian herbs, a little bit of mustard, Parmesan cheese, and some soy sauce.

I always keep a lot of Campbell's or Healthy Choice Chunky Soups in my cabinets. It's healthy and my family loves them when I'm too tired to cook. We eat a lot of salads also. I steam chicken breast, 4 at a time...and make a big salad with it, along with lettuce, tomato and baby carrots. You can steam the chicken breast along with fresh broccoli and potatoes. That's a healthy meal right there, only takes a few minutes.

Cool. Salad sometimes give me a heartburn.

But the dressing WritingAlex made does sound good. Should try that sometimes.

Soups, really? Thought they were too high in sodium to eat that often?

As for potatoes, I made a recipe that's even better than eating potato chips and probably a lot healthier too due to being baked in toaster oven.

Oh other question I have. Do you guys add any type of sauce to mask some taste in some vegetables?

Meat, I really don't think I have problem with, lol. It's vegetables really. I would rather like to have my diet mostly make of vegetables. But problem is, I don't really like steamed vegetables. Especially broccoli, and cheese on broccoli helps a little.

I do enjoy bake asparagus in toaster oven with olive oil. I like to fry eggplant (not healthy probably). I like zucchini with a bit of butter. And mushrooms? Oh, how I adore em! I love to eat mushrooms. But that's all I can make of vegetable that tastes great and simple to make.

Keep coming with ideas. I liked seeing what you guys recommend. While I can check recipes which doesn't work for me half of the time due to ingredients or tools I don't have. I also like to see ideas too, not just a recipe.

As far as a sauce, I make one that goes well with white meat (chicken and pork) and veggies.

Apricot preserves or Orange Marmalade with balsamic vinegar and sautéed fresh ginger. Sauté the ginger in a little olive oil, then add the vinegar and the jelly. Let it get good and hot, serve over the veggies (steamed are better), or cook with the chicken and pork. The chicken and pork, I just put into a skillet with a little olive oil and some light seasonings. After you lightly brown the meat, drizzle with the sauce, cover pan and let cook for a few minutes. Serve with rice or couscous.

I like to keep cans of beans and whole grain pasta around so I can put that together really quick. And lots of pasta sauce and tomato pastes and sauces.
But I really like veggies and dislike meat mostly so that does make it easier for me in terms of healthier eating.

Back