Earmoulds

plasticdinosaur

Reaction score
I recently got new(but wrong) hearing aids, and with them, my audi got me the completely in canal moulds. Basically just the little part that goes in your ear, like a custom ear bud. She didn't tell me about this, and just did it. I've always had the full or skeleton mold, where there's something on the outside of your ear too. I HATE the new ones. They either feel like they're in too tight and have this painful edge on them, or like they're going to flop out.

Should I wait three weeks until my next appointment when the correct hearing aids will show up and ask to order the ones I'm used to, or call her now and ask her? Or am I just doing something wrong?

I don't think its wise to wait. Let them know as soon as possible. If they tell you to wait then you will have something to go one if there is a problem later on. Make sure you keep a good record.
Good Luck

You're entitled to get the molds you want or are accustomed to.

Besides, it also depends on your hearing. That from what I've gathered, the completely in canal are usually for those that don't have as much of an hearing loss. While the full molds tend to be more suitable for those with more of an hearing loss.

I only have a moderate hearing loss. I'm also kinda having trouble telling whether it's the earmoulds that are making my ears hurt, or the fact that my wisdom teeth are coming in.

I'd say to go in asap and get new impressions made (if necessary) so that the new molds are ready when the hearing aids come in. It usually takes 2-3 weeks to get ear molds (that's been my experience).

I think you should switch to another audiologist in the same buliding.
the one who will give you the correct earmold size and already knows about your new hearing aid order.

It's a pretty small place, only one, maybe two audis and a lot of speech and hearing grad students. There aren't really many other places to go to around here, and certainly no other ones I can walk to, or trust me, I'd be out of hear! Their receptionist alone is enough to make me never want to come back there! So rude. But anyways, yeah, this is the second time they've messed up my order, and I'm more than mildly irritated. I was supposed to get Phonak MicroP Solanas in purple, but instead I'm sitting here in Phonak MicroM Solanas in Safari Stripe... They're maxed out and not quite loud enough, and have no t-coil. Which means I can't use my cell phone and am very irritated. I'll send then an e-mail tomorrow afternoon if they're still bugging me, maybe I just have to get used to the different kind... Hope they still have my impression!

Definitely don't wait - contact them right away and tell them that you specifically want "____ style of moulds"

I'd also make sure that you don't have to pay for them - because the audiologist knew what you had and then ordered something totally different without letting you know and "okaying it" with you before placing the order.

If they give you a difficult time just remember - they're YOUR ears, and it's YOUR chose what you put in them / what works etc.

Don't let them push you around - if your unhappy with what you currently have make sure they fix the issues until you're happy :)

Last edited:
I was supposed to get Phonak MicroP Solanas in purple, but instead I'm sitting here in Phonak MicroM Solanas in Safari Stripe... They're maxed out and not quite loud enough, and have no t-coil. Which means I can't use my cell phone and am very irritated. I'll send then an e-mail tomorrow afternoon if they're still bugging me, maybe I just have to get used to the different kind... Hope they still have my impression!

Make sure that you email them (so it's in writing) and tell them that you HAs aren't working for you and that you aren't going to be keeping them - they need to find something better for you. It's never ever a good idea to start with a HA that is "maxed out" - it gives you no space to "grow" for one thing.

Since they keep making mistakes, I'd recommend putting your requests in writing, and for "big things" like the hearing aid - write something out on your computer ahead of time stating that you don't like the hearing aid, it isn't working for you, you need one that will still work if you need it turned up (ie it's not maxed out) and exactly what colour you want. You can email it to the office etc, but then also print it out and take it with you for your visit. Have the Audie read it while you're there, make any notes on it (ie suggestion for a different HA model) and then make him/her SIGN and date it.
Tell them they can make a photo copy if they want, but you're keeping the original.

This way (even though it's a pain) you're fair more likely for them NOT to mess up because they know you have proof etc.

For the HAs you have right now, make sure you email them right away if you haven't stating that you are NOT keeping them, you will NOT be paying for them, that they ordered a colour/design that is different from what you explicitly stated you wanted (which was purple) and they have to find you something that is more appropriate for you're Hearing Loss (without being maxed out). This will make sure you don't end up stuck with expensive, useless HAs

((hugs))

I have hearing aid :) you must to clean up neat otherwise worn out replace your new mold 6 months :)

I've called them, and my fitting for the -correct- aid is Monday March 21st, I'm going in on Wednesday the 9th about the earmould though as it simply hurts to much to wait now. It hurts when I leave it in for more than a half an hour, and if I wear it for a few hours and take it out, that whole side of my head is throbbing, and the inside of my ear hurts.

I've called them, and my fitting for the -correct- aid is Monday March 21st, I'm going in on Wednesday the 9th about the earmould though as it simply hurts to much to wait now. It hurts when I leave it in for more than a half an hour, and if I wear it for a few hours and take it out, that whole side of my head is throbbing, and the inside of my ear hurts.

what is wrong your bother your earmod

I have issues dizzy not sure!

Don't know, it seems to have this like, edge on it or something. It hurts, and sometimes pops when I open my mouth all the way.

I figure out my medication conflict to my mess crap nervous! I am pretty soud conflict!

same with me when I have full colored earmolds which cause me an allergic reaction in my ears

Travis: ear molds don't have much to do with your mind-do they?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

same with me when I have full colored earmolds which cause me an allergic reaction in my ears

Uhg, mine are the hypoallergenic ones, it's just that they don't fit right or something. Turns out they're not completely in canal, they're just canal, so they are not all the way in my ear, but not standard size. Hurt like hell though.

Back