Early Communication in the Home

jillio - If you are wishing to debate this topic as you claim, then please provide points from the original OP with your rebuttal. Posting an article is not a debate.

Thanks.

Posting an article opens the door to debate regarding the information contained in the article. You post it, you open the door to debate.

Your game playing is irrevelant. I have seen proof of deaf children of hearing parents who learn ASL whether they are fluent like native signers or not achieving higher literacy skills than those children from families who do not sign at all. So, if CS is 100% successful, why is research not showing that?

I support CS as a teaching tool so what is your agenda?

After 40 years, we are still not seeing empirical support for the claims being made regarding CS. However, there is sufficient empirical support for the advantage of early sign acquisition in literacy, identity development, theory of mind, and numerous other developmental concepts.

This topic is about early communication with English, not ASL.

If you wish to start a thread regarding the early aquisition of ASL, please do so in a different thread.

Stick to the topic please.

Thanks

Early communication with English is not fully accessible to Deaf children and we all know that do we, Lolm? This is why u continue to post numerous different threads about CS.

If we are going to talk about early communication and Deaf children, we should include all tools on how they can achieve higher literacy skills.

Early communication with English is not fully accessible to Deaf children and we all know that do we, Lolm? This is why u continue to post numerous different threads about CS.

If we are going to talk about early communication and Deaf children, we should include all tools on how they can achieve higher literacy skills.

The topic was, according to the title, Early Communication in the Home. Loml is only assuming that to be English, because that is the communication that she uses. Once again, one is assuming communication to be oral spoken language. That is hardly the case realistically.

After 40 years, we are still not seeing empirical support for the claims being made regarding CS. However, there is sufficient empirical support for the advantage of early sign acquisition in literacy, identity development, theory of mind, and numerous other developmental concepts.

I have responded, numerous times, to research pertaining to various claims made regarding CS and will not be recapitulating those posts here. I have also examined, and made numerous posts, regarding ASL. I have even found, posted, and attempted to debate the research and common-sense based notion that adults, when placed in the situation of having to learn a new language, to the extent that they are fluent enough in it to successfully enable their children to have that language as their primary way of communicating, is difficult and potentially detrimental to the child's development. However, whenever I attempt to have a logical, mature discussion regarding these topics I find that I am not confronted with a similar approach, I am, in a purely subjective manner, with an absolute lack of evidence, treated as an inferior intellectual. Furthermore, I am faced with a multitude of attacks to my integrity and character and see a similar situation faced by others on this forum. Therefore as defined in the dictionary I, and others who disagree with you, face ad hominem attacks. I make numerous points and have often had to ask for these to be addressed more fully than simply stating my point is moot. It would appear that any attempt made to enlighten the larger internet community is met with repression. Instead of being so superficial with responses, lets all get to the meat of the topic. The research supporting CS is our there google can be anyone's friend.

Your game playing is irrevelant. I have seen proof of deaf children of hearing parents who learn ASL whether they are fluent like native signers or not achieving higher literacy skills than those children from families who do not sign at all. So, if CS is 100% successful, why is research not showing that?

I support CS as a teaching tool so what is your agenda?

shel90- I find it odd that you think I am playing a game. I simply found it interesting. I do not doubt what you have seen shel90. Why is it that you doubt what proof I have seen and experienced?

You know of research that show that CS is not successful?? Could you please provide me with it. I would like to read it.

shel90- I post about CS. If you want to create a thread regarding another method or approach, please do. :)

I have responded, numerous times, to research pertaining to various claims made regarding CS and will not be recapitulating those posts here. I have also examined, and made numerous posts, regarding ASL. I have even found, posted, and attempted to debate the research and common-sense based notion that adults, when placed in the situation of having to learn a new language, to the extent that they are fluent enough in it to successfully enable their children to have that language as their primary way of communicating, is difficult and potentially detrimental to the child's development. However, whenever I attempt to have a logical, mature discussion regarding these topics I find that I am not confronted with a similar approach, I am, in a purely subjective manner, with an absolute lack of evidence, treated as an inferior intellectual. Furthermore, I am faced with a multitude of attacks to my integrity and character and see a similar situation faced by others on this forum. Therefore as defined in the dictionary I, and others who disagree with you, face ad hominem attacks. I make numerous points and have often had to ask for these to be addressed more fully than simply stating my point is moot. It would appear that any attempt made to enlighten the larger internet community is met with repression. Instead of being so superficial with responses, lets all get to the meat of the topic. The research supporting CS is our there google can be anyone's friend.

Given the 40 plus year history of CS, there is no longitudinal data regarding the effectiveness of this method. There is case study, there is qualitative
studies (a few) using very small samples and questionable methodology. In 40 years, there should be numerous examples of longitudinal data that support the claims being made. There is none.

However, there are volumes and volumes of replicable and valid designs regarding the use of ASL and the deaf child, and many of these studies have included the variable of parent fluency. These studies have been conducted across disciplines and include psychology, education,and linguistics.

Again, the issue is not what is most convenient for the hearing parent, but what is most beneficial to the deaf child.

Question: Generally, for children who uses CS as a primary mode of communication, does the parents learn how to cue as well?

Question: Generally, for children who uses CS as a primary mode of communication, does the parents learn how to cue as well?

deafbajagal- Please refer to the following article. :)

Many people question whether Cued Speech can be used with infants and toddlers. It can! Cued Speech can provide an avenue for parents to convey the language of their home to their child who is deaf or hard-of-hearing as soon as a hearing loss has been identified.

How and when should they introduce cued English to their very young child?

The short answer is immediately. Once a hearing loss has been identified, you can learn how to cue and begin cueing just as you would speak to a hearing baby. As a baby is cooed over and cuddled, parents can begin the process of teaching language to their child simply by cueing all they say. Parents who are deaf and already know how to cue are at an advantage as they will naturally begin cueing immediately on the birth of their child, whether the baby is hearing or deaf. Any child can acquire the language of the home from the parents using Cued Speech. The sooner and more consistently your child is cued to, the more likely she will begin imitating cues and start cueing and communicating with you and others.

Why should I cue with my baby?

For many parents, the natural language of the home is spoken. Cueing is a way for parents to visually convey their natural “family” language to their child who is deaf or hard-of-hearing. Cueing enables them to communicate with all members of the family simultaneously, without switching between languages.

Literacy development is also important to all parents. Early cueing allows children to absorb and understand the different phonemes, or sounds, that make up their native language. They will naturally develop one critical factor of “emergent literacy,” or reading readiness: phonemic awareness. With Cued Speech, you can provide your baby or toddler with a language-rich environment that makes it easier to communicate all the things in their world.

How old does a child need to be in order to cue to her?

You can cue to your child from birth, just as you would speak or sign to her from birth.

Does my child need hearing in order to cue? Can I cue to a child who is profoundly deaf?

Cued Speech was originally intended for use with children who are profoundly deaf or have no usable residual hearing. These children thrive on the visual access to language that cueing can provide. In addition, cueing has proved to be effective for children who are hard-of-hearing, helping to clarify auditory information in noisy situations. Hearing children with speech, language, and/or auditory processing problems can also gain tremendous benefit from cueing.

What/when should I cue to my baby?

Ideally, you would cue everything that you say during the normal course of your day. Great times to cue to your baby are all the “routine” parts of your day—during mealtimes, diaper-changing or toilet training, running errands, bath time, bedtime, and at the grocery store, as well as during playtime or other special family occasions/outings. Whenever you talk, cue. Don’t worry if your baby is not looking directly at you at first; she will eventually realize that what you’re doing is communicating and start paying attention.
Research in language development shows that babies learn words used in isolation first. This is good news for parents new to cueing. Cueing one word (such as ball) and building upon it (red ball or little red ball) is helpful and a natural process for language development in young children.

How can I become fluent so that I can cue to my baby quickly?

The short answer is—practice, practice, practice! One way to increase your speed is to write down a list of some things that you say to your baby each day and practice those until you can cue them easily and quickly.
For example, you can cue the words mother, father, grandma, grandpa, as well as the names of other family members, including brothers, sisters and family pets, and close friends and relatives that the child interacts with regularly. You can also cue the names of common foods and household items (milk, juice, cereals, water, eggs, cheese, chicken, apples, coat/jacket, bottles, cup, spoon, etc.), as well as, favorite toys (ball, bear, baby) and so forth.

Words and phrases in your repertoire that are quick and easy to cue will increase your overall speed as you add “unfamiliar” words to your child’s language. Common phrases might include the following:
“It’s time for…” (bed, nap, lunch, dinner)
“Do you want…” (juice, blankie)
“Go get the...” (ball, bear, book)
“Give (me/her/him) the …” (toy, bottle)
“Where is…” (Dad? Mom? the kitty?)
“Please, ...” (come here, sit down)
“I love you!”

Can the baby cue back to me? When?

Yes, your baby should be able to approximate some cues back to you after a while. The time frame of when a baby might begin to cue has not yet been definitively established. There is some research in progress now that seems to suggest that a baby might develop some cue approximations or baby cues at the same time that hearing babies begin to speak or deaf babies begin to sign back to their parents, which is typically between 9 and 18 months of age.

Cueing, just like signing, requires some manual dexterity and fine motor skills, which may impact your baby’s ability to perfectly convey the entire system. Children who are hearing often have approximations or mispronunciations in their speech for difficult-to-produce sounds through the age of six or seven.

Cueing children will experience the same need to offer an approximation for a cue and develop expressive skills over time as you encourage them to cue.
Parents should encourage expressive cueing in their young children by looking for approximations and reinforcing the use of them. For example, a child might tap her throat or chest area with her pointer finger to indicate daddy and use an open hand at the throat to indicate mommy. All babies offer approximations of speech; observant parents will be able to identify cue babbling and attempts and can encourage their use as the baby’s skills develop. Anecdotal evidence shows that babies will likely cue words with the easiest handshapes (5, 1, 6) and/or use one or two primary locations before correctly moving from one location to another.

Conclusion

To provide clear and consistent exposure to language, parents should cue as often as possible to their child as soon as they are able to do so. This will allow the child to acquire language as soon as possible, thereby also providing the best foundation for their child’s literacy development. Parents should encourage their child to cue as soon as possible. Parents can visually provide the language of their home to their baby who is deaf or hard-of-hearing.

Resources
Cornett, R.O., & Daisey, M.E. (Eds.). (2000). The Cued Speech resource book for parents of deaf children (2nd ed.). Cleveland: National Cued Speech Association.
Ling, D. (1989). Foundations of spoken language for hearing-impaired children. Washington, DC: Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf.
Paul, P.V. (1998). Literacy and deafness: The development of reading, writing, and literate thought. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Schwartz, S. (1996). Choices in deafness: A parents’ guide to communication options. (2nd ed.). Rockville: Woodbine House.
Sheetz, N.A. (2001). Orientation to deafness (2nd ed.). Boston: Allyn & Bacon.

http://www.cuedspeech.org/PDF/Cueing_with_Babies.pdf

Hope this answers your question.

The article states that parents can and should...what I would like to know is on an average, how many parents actually do learn how to use it and use it with their children?

Many parents don't learn sign language or how to use oral methods appropriately...I'm assuming many parents don't learn cueing either. (??)

The article states that parents can and should...what I would like to know is on an average, how many parents actually do learn how to use it and use it with their children?

Many parents don't learn sign language or how to use oral methods appropriately...I'm assuming many parents don't learn cueing either. (??)

Well, I did post a post last year or so on how my friend who is a teacher at the nearby public schools with a CS program on how the parents do not always cue with other hearing family members at home and the deaf kids end up being left out. She also said that the parents, at first, were excited about it but eventually returned to their old habits of just using spoken language. Not my words but it sure sounds like the same kinds of parents I encounter who seemed so eager to learn ASL at first only to drop it after a year or so.

Parent-Child Interaction: Impact on Langauge and Cognitive Developmentof Dear Children

Over 90% of deaf children have hearing parents who are not fluent in sign language. In toddlerhood and early childhood, these chidlren often are delayed in development of language and make-believe play. In middle childhood, many achieve poorly in school and are deficient in social skills. Yet deaf children of deaf parents escape these difficulties. Their language (use of sign) and play maturity are on par with hearing children's. After school entry, deaf chilren of deaf parents learn easily and get along well with adults and peers (Borenstein, et.al, 1999; Spencer & Lederberg, 1997).

These differences can be traced to early parent-child communication. Beginning in infancy, hearing parents of deaf children are less positive, less responsive to the child's efforts to communicate, less effective at achieving joint attention and turn-taking, less involved in play, and more directive and intrusive (Spencer, 2000; Spencer & Meadow-Orlans, 1996). In contrast, the quality of communication between deaf children and deaf parents is similar to that of hearing parents and hearing children.

Children with limited and less sensitive parental communication lag behind their age mates in achieving verbal control over their behavior--in thinking before they act and in planning. Deaf children of hearing parents often display impulse control problems (Arnold, 1999).

The impact of deafness on language and cognitive development can best be understood by considering its impact on parents and iother significant people in the child's life. Deaf children need access to language models--deaf adults and peers--to experience natural language learning. And their hearing parents benefit from support along with training in how to onteract sensitively with a nonhearing partner.

Screening techniques can identify deaf babies shortly after birth, enabling immediate enrollment in programs aimed at fostering effective parent-child interaction. When children with profound hearing loss are identified and start to receive intervention within the first year of life, they show much better language, cognitive, and social development (Yoshinaga-Itano, 2003).

Berk, L. (2007). Development through the lifespan (4th ed.). Pearson. Boston, MA.

If screeners automatically refer to this type of intervention, are they then encouraged to seek an implant?

I have seen what happens with parents who are willing to learn ASL for their deaf child.
As have I. I know two girls who grew up ASL only with hearing parents. BOTH have done well. One of them is at NTID and the other went to Gally and has a master's from a HEARING college.
I gotta say.......I think initially that hearing parents need to provide a full toolbox, so that the babies/toddlers can find the right fit. That way, they won't be delayed if they don't have the flair for oral skills!

If screeners automatically refer to this type of intervention, are they then encouraged to seek an implant?

It would appear in the majority of cases, this would be the first reccomendation. That is why it is so important that the medical field begin informing these parents of ALL options available to them and their deaf child, and not simply refer for medical intervention as a first resort. However, the psychologists on whom I relied for this information do not recommend CI as a first resort, but are of the opinion that effective parent-child communication is supported in a Bi-Bi atmosphere.

Yeppers. "Can and should" is a world away from "can and do".

Back