Ear wax

yaelhass

Reaction score
I had my ears cleaned about a month and a half ago and again feel that its plugged with wax.
Do any of you experienced aid wearers have any insight as to how to prevent ear wax accumulation?
Thanks,
Yael

I put few drops of olive oil in my ears once in a while to shift the wax.
Little wax is good for your ear but alot of wax isn't since it would decrease the sounds.

I admistered little olive oil by using 5ml sygrine and plug in with cotton wool. leave over night and resume using HA as normal the next morning. I haven't been back to doc's for 3 years for them to clean it out.

I put few drops of olive oil in my ears once in a while to shift the wax.
Little wax is good for your ear but alot of wax isn't since it would decrease the sounds.

I admistered little olive oil by using 5ml sygrine and plug in with cotton wool. leave over night and resume using HA as normal the next morning. I haven't been back to doc's for 3 years for them to clean it out.

This is exactly what my audi told me to do.

Olive oil is completely harmless and it whats doc and audi recommended to me too.

I haven't had problems with ear wax since I was 10 years old.

I always try to get an appointment with one of the doctors around here annually to get the wax cleaned out of my ears. Usually there is a big chunk that comes out. :lol: Yummy... :lol:

I don't seem to get ear wax, more like ear secretion, clear wet stuff that dries crusty. I heard once the First Nations and Orientals get this minimal clear 'wax' while the rest of ya get the orange thicker wax. I am part native and do get the clear minimal wax...think there is any truth to this statement?

as moon child had said. Also olive oil is cheaper than pescription. Completely harmless, can't over dose, kill, etc just little messy if put in ear too much hence use of cotton wool to "plug it in ear" and absorb the excess.

It's italian oil, used as healthier alternative to cooking oil, found in most supermarkets.

Why not you use Q-Tip to clean the wax out everyday. I used to have an ear wax build in my middle ear cause infection. I realized. I always use Q-TIPS to clean my ears out all the times!

Why not you use Q-Tip to clean the wax out everyday. I used to have an ear wax build in my middle ear cause infection. I realized. I always use Q-TIPS to clean my ears out all the times!

Q-tips usually make the wax impacted in the ear and even sometimes make them go deeper in the canal instead of getting it out.
They can also hurt the lining of the canal.
As a "thumb rule" of ENT doctors - "never put into your ear canal anything that's thinner than your elbow...." (besides hearing aids, of course).
:giggle:

Q-tips usually make the wax impacted in the ear and even sometimes make them go deeper in the canal instead of getting it out.
As a "thumb rule" of ENT doctors - "never put into your ear canal anything that's thinner than your elbow...." (besides hearing aids, of course).

Thats right, It would cause further complications. Also the material can often come off and get stuck on the skin causing ear infections.

Do not deep into inner ear and near the eardrum. Just be careful and gentle.

Yael, I always prescribe docusate (Colace) for bad earwax. Pierce the capsule, drip some in, wait, then flush with an ear bulb. Since it's a surfactant, it saponifies the wax and helps remove it. Much cheaper than debrox, and won't go rancid like olive oil can.

Sorry for the doctor-speak--we docs definitely have our own language... :)

I use Q-tips (cotton swabs) to clean my ears.

A lot of my friends who shower or take a bath, and then put on their hearing aids without letting their ears dry... often end up with ear infections.

I always clean out the inside of my ears when I shower. I let the water spray into my ears along with soap. When I get out of the shower, I let them dry a bit before using Q-tips. :)

Back