Ear molds

Delville

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the difference between BTE hearing aid ear molds that have a vent hole and ones that don't. I wear the Phonak Naida Q50 UP's with a vent, but never had without a vent. Is there a specific reason why people have vented vs ventless and vice versa. Also I use a full shell silicone mold should I be looking into other materials and styles?

Sent from my iPad using AllDeaf

Venting Advantages:

Reduce unnecessary low frequency gain and output
Allow unamplified sound to enter the ear canal
Reduce occlusion effect
Relieve the feeling of pressure in the ear
Reduce moisture build-up in the ear canal.
Venting Disadvantages:
Too much venting can combine with the ear canal cavity to produce a Helmholtz resonator effect (increased gain in the 250-1000 Hz region), resulting in an echo or barrel effect when the patient speaks.
Feedback. As vent size increases, acoustic leakage increases, and therefore the probability of feedback increases.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Venting Advantages:

Reduce unnecessary low frequency gain and output
Allow unamplified sound to enter the ear canal
Reduce occlusion effect
Relieve the feeling of pressure in the ear
Reduce moisture build-up in the ear canal.
Venting Disadvantages:
Too much venting can combine with the ear canal cavity to produce a Helmholtz resonator effect (increased gain in the 250-1000 Hz region), resulting in an echo or barrel effect when the patient speaks.
Feedback. As vent size increases, acoustic leakage increases, and therefore the probability of feedback increases.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AllDeaf App mobile app

So in your opinion would you use ventless or vented? I have vented, but I have little plugs to close the vents.

So in your opinion would you use ventless or vented? I have vented, but I have little plugs to close the vents.

Depends on your hearing loss in your low frequencies.

I have the smallest vent they make - it's the diameter of a pin. I really like it because it makes sure the pressures are regulated, without and acoustical issues (it's not enough to hear anything out of, or cause any feedback at all).

I used to have a larger vent, and put the plugs in to reduce the size because of feedback and "mixed sound" (digital via the HA, and "natural air sounds via the vent") issues.

I have the smallest vent they make - it's the diameter of a pin. I really like it because it makes sure the pressures are regulated, without and acoustical issues (it's not enough to hear anything out of, or cause any feedback at all).

I used to have a larger vent, and put the plugs in to reduce the size because of feedback and "mixed sound" (digital via the HA, and "natural air sounds via the vent") issues.

I blocked my vents a little bit ago and it seems to help in the sense of hearing better, but it could be to early to tell truthfully. I'll keep the vents blocked and then try them again unblocked. I'm trying different things I just got these hearing aids yesterday and there considerably more powerful then my last set. I had the Unitron Element 16's, now I have the Phonak Naida Q50 UP's.

I can't do a vent with my earmolds. I just get too much feedbacking with a vent, so ventless molds for me!

I really couldn't get on with vent. I suddenly went from hearing quite well to being able to only hear loud sounds with a pressure vent. It was awful :/

I also had loads of feedback.

I truly think vents don't allow you to hear well in noise from my experience.

Last edited:
Did some testing with and without vents and in my opinion I'm going ventless, for some reason I hear better with the vents closed.

Back