Ear fatigue

C-NICE

Reaction score
I know some of you won't believe this but, I work in a customer service phone bank. The biggest problem I have currently with my hearing is ear fatigue(I mean after work my ears a literally exhausted). I wonder if anyone else has this problem? (I understand if you can't believe what I do for a living!!)

I know some of you won't believe this but, I work in a customer service phone bank. The biggest problem I have currently with my hearing is ear fatigue(I mean after work my ears a literally exhausted). I wonder if anyone else has this problem? (I understand if you can't believe what I do for a living!!)

:wave::wave:

I DO! I DO! All the time. :)

Basically I have severe hyperacusis at times. Some days everything is great. Other days I just want to yank my CIs off and be in silence. There are even days when I asked my interpreters or Roy if the person is loud or turn down the volume. That's why I have one of the programs specifically for that problem. Everything sounds quieter, but I still receive sounds.

Now - there is such thing as ear fatigue. Basically your (and mine), get over stimulated with all the sounds, or straining to discriminate sounds around us. Our brains get overworked with all the stimulation, then our ears gets "tired", our bodies get tired, sounds are terrible or too loud or even retaining some of the noise (like barking dogs for my case) when there's none existed.

I get severe migraines because of this. Since I quit my job, got my two CIs, the ear fatigue has become less frequent.

My suggestion for you is to try to have one program to be really quiet (either you have CI or digital Hearing aids), listen to some soft classical music, and/or turn off your "ears" as soon as you finish work...and leave them off.
:hug:

LadySekhmet - C-NICE's situation is different from you. What you have is a brain fatigue because CI bypasses ear function to transmit sound directly to your ear nerve. What C-NICE is experiencing is an actual ear organ fatigue (especially ear drum + cochlea) - the same way your legs/feet get tired from long walking.

C-NICE - I do know that ear fatigue can contribute to hearing loss. This problem is very very common to "IPOD generation." I sympathize you. Tech Support isn't an easy job and I know you have to yap away on phones all day long. You do need to give yourself a small break to let your ear recover. You have to ask yourself - what's more important? your hearing or the paycheck.

After a long day working at the Preschool. I dang sure take my Hearing aids out. ENJOY the silence!

So Defiantly I do get fatigue from hearing so much noise.

After a long day working at the Preschool. I dang sure take my Hearing aids out. ENJOY the silence!

So Defiantly I do get fatigue from hearing so much noise.

me too. that's what I do after work.

:deaf: = :thumb:

LadySekhmet - C-NICE's situation is different from you. What you have is a brain fatigue because CI bypasses ear function to transmit sound directly to your ear nerve. What C-NICE is experiencing is an actual ear organ fatigue (especially ear drum + cochlea) - the same way your legs/feet get tired from long walking.

C-NICE - I do know that ear fatigue can contribute to hearing loss. This problem is very very common to "IPOD generation." I sympathize you. Tech Support isn't an easy job and I know you have to yap away on phones all day long. You do need to give yourself a small break to let your ear recover. You have to ask yourself - what's more important? your hearing or the paycheck.

How is my situation different? I said that I had the same problem BEFORE I had the implants. It was just worse when I had hearing aids. Now with CI, it's not that bad, but I still get over stimulated with sounds because of the nerve cells.
Plus - I still have residual hearing in both ears, so my ear drums and the bones are still functioning normally. If you yell in my ear, I'll hear you.

How is my situation different? I said that I had the same problem BEFORE I had the implants. It was just worse when I had hearing aids. Now with CI, it's not that bad, but I still get over stimulated with sounds because of the nerve cells.
Plus - I still have residual hearing in both ears, so my ear drums and the bones are still functioning normally. If you yell in my ear, I'll hear you.

ah... my apology! I have overlooked that small detail.

Me too! Some days I simply can't wait to get out the door and in the car so that I can take my hearing aids off! It will be interesting to see if I experience as much 'fatigue' with the CI as I do with HA's.

Even though I have bilateral CIs, I still experience hearing fatigue -- although it's not as bad as it was when I wore hearing aids.

Forgive me for bringing mental illness into the discussion, but it does apply to this thread. Whenever I'm experiencing a manic episode, I'm *very* sensitive to noise. The softest sounds can seem painfully loud to me. Voices sound shrill and uncomfortable. Ever since I received new maps, I haven't noticed this as much, so having my CI audi lower all of my frequencies several notches has definitely helped. Again, sorry for bringing my bipolar into the discussion, but I think it relates given the fact that I am hypersensitive to sounds when I'm manic.

Yeah, but that wasn't what the OP was asking about.

Anyways, I experience ear fatigue as well. Often on weekends I don't bother to wear my HAs. I love the total silence since I can lipread and sign for communication. So I can totally relate to C-Nice's ears being exhausted.

Personally, I think being hypersensitive to sounds has everything to do with this thread. Being hypersensitive to what one hears makes it difficult to hear and can be tiring. Since I've had enough hearing to understand speech for most of my life, I know what this means and what being hypersensitive to sounds means in terms of ear fatigue.

Back