e- readers for the deaf

superdeaf57

Reaction score
i seem to wonder what is the best e-reader for the deaf for easy to use and more easy to read? do e-readers show large print e-books? let me know thanks

I recently got the Kobo. It does have the ability to adjust the size of the font and it has two fonts - Serif and Sans Serif

Of course, if you need a large font, then you may want a large ebook/screen so you don't have to scroll as much.

With PDF books, you can switch between portrait and landscape mode.

Have you been researching on Nook and Kindle? You could try Kindle DX. It has long battery life. Kindle work only with Amazon's store. Nook works only with Barnes and Nobles.

As for LCD vs E-ink debate, Kindle's got an e-ink. It's like holding newspaper or a book physically, which is nice. They will go easy on your eyes. Barnes and Nobles had released Nook Color e-reader (LCD) last year. Many readers are concerned about how LCD affects their eyes after reading for more than one hour. If you feel comfortable reading on LCD device for more than one hour or so, then fine. If you want to read a magazine that displays pictures in COLOR, you need a LCD device. Kindle is in black and white only.

Kindle DX is larger (9.7") than Kindle 2 (6"). Nook is 7".

You can get an application for your PC for Nook or Kindle and then you can have very large font.

I chose the Kobo because it allows me to download books from a lot of different places including libraries (though our library is not as good as some I've seen...I just paid to get a Free Library of Phila library card so I can use their eLibrary).

The Kobo use e-ink. Borders also had some other eReaders some of which were larger than the Kobo.

I chose the white Kobo after comparing them in the store because it seemed to be easier on my eyes to have the white border. Of course, there are skins/cases/etc that you can buy to change the color the eReader.

How does being deaf effect which e-reader you'd use????

How does being deaf effect which e-reader you'd use????

Affect.

E-reader works for anyone... who can read. If you're concerned with sounds, you can always turn it off or if you want it to read out loud while you read along. Kindle has that application and you can read along with "text to speech." Kindle also enlarges font. I own a kindle myself and I love it. It's an amazing thing to own.

I just ordered the Kindle e-reader today!!!
I can't wait to get it in the mail.

Affect.

E-reader works for anyone... who can read. If you're concerned with sounds, you can always turn it off or if you want it to read out loud while you read along. Kindle has that application and you can read along with "text to speech." Kindle also enlarges font. I own a kindle myself and I love it. It's an amazing thing to own.
Perhaps, that got me thinking it would make a good listening exercise for some.

A friend likes Nook because she can always click on a word and get a dictionary explanation. I want to know if Kindle and Kobo (and others) can do the same. Thanks!

A friend likes Nook because she can always click on a word and get a dictionary explanation. I want to know if Kindle and Kobo (and others) can do the same. Thanks!

Now that would come in handy when reading Faulkner!

As a Kindle 3 owner, it does have the Oxford Dictionary. While I read, I click a word with a button, and the definition of a word pops up in a second. Love it.

I THINK the Kobo will...if you bought the ebook from Kobo directly. I haven't bought a book from Kobo (I bought two from Borders and one from Google books and have been borrowing library books).

well a few days ago my sister ask me if i had a e-reader yet i told her no not yet so i kind of asking friends of mine if they had one they told me not yet too so i ask my sister if she got a e-reader yet she say nope not yet so she is asking her hearing friends so i hope to look at e-readers sometime next month to check it out at barnes and noble store that for sure so wish me luck on my finding the right e-reader for me

As a Kindle 3 owner, it does have the Oxford Dictionary. While I read, I click a word with a button, and the definition of a word pops up in a second. Love it.

Love that, too. And I like the ability to flag sections and make notes, although I don't actually use that as much as I thought. So happy with the Kindle. I wish it were possible to share books more easily, though.

Love that, too. And I like the ability to flag sections and make notes, although I don't actually use that as much as I thought. So happy with the Kindle. I wish it were possible to share books more easily, though.
Check this out:
Frequently Asked Questions — calibre User Manual

It may help you share books and use books from other sources.

I have the Kobo, and ended up downloading the above application so I could easily delete the free books that came on it.

Back