Dyscalculia and ASL Class

PatsCats

Reaction score
I've recently been diagnosed with Dyscalculia, which some here know, messes with your ability to distinguish left from right, and understand the layout of things; maps, buildings, rooms, etc. I get lost so easily I haven't even gotten embarassed by it in decades!

My problem is that I've got an extensive chapter in my Level 2 ASL class on giving directions and other things such as describing rooms. Because my internal map is chaos at best, I can't figure out the directions being given to me by a signer, nor can I figure out how to give directions to anyone else. I just have no internal sense of direction.

As I know some here also have dyscalculia, what can I do to get through this chapter of my studies? What coping mechanisms or other strategies can I use for this?

Thanx in advance.

Have you discussed this privately with your instructor?

As a deaf person studying ASL in the past, I have had to be physically placed in the position for signs I don't know by the instructor.

It wouldn't be possible for me to do what you are describing. If you are studying to be an interpreter, and you have severe dyscalculia, I don't think that is going to be possible.

I have memorized many signs by being placed correctly repeatedly. If you are in a big class of hearing students, I don't think your instructor will have time to do what would be needed for you to accomplish this task.

Reba: No, I have not yet discussed this with my instructor. I'm trying as much as possible not to rely on it. I haven't even registered for it with Student Support Services. It does not affect my ability to take regular tests or do general assignments. Although I do get lost quite often in the building my classes are in! I suppose I should at least think about registering, huh?

Bottesini: My Dyscalculia isn't very severe. Since I am 48 yrs old and only recently diagnosed, I have developed some measure of coping mechanisms over the years to get by in the world. Such as requesting driving directions with landmarks and a map (which I, of course, turn to the direction I'm coming from), using north, south, east and west (which still only works if I'm familiar with the area) as opposed to left and right, etc.

I am taking ASL with the intention of doing something with it, I just haven't figured out what yet. Not sure what all is available. I do have a BA, so in my state I have one requirement under my belt for Interpreting. Any suggestions?

Reba: No, I have not yet discussed this with my instructor. I'm trying as much as possible not to rely on it. I haven't even registered for it with Student Support Services. It does not affect my ability to take regular tests or do general assignments. Although I do get lost quite often in the building my classes are in! I suppose I should at least think about registering, huh?
I thought maybe the instructor could give you some strategies for learning how to sign directions. You don't need to go to Student Support Services for that.

:wave:PatsCats,

I was diagnosed with math LD around age 20. I have problems with Left and Right, spatial orientation, compass/maps - among others - numbers in ASL past maybe 20 are very challenging for me. I do have an internal sense of direction and think in pictures, so if I can see in my mind how it is, or see myself doing something, I can usually follow it, it's trying to translate someone else doing or saying something where I get messed up.
Everybody pretty much knows I have LD/dyscalculia; it impacts me every day, standing in line at the store to pay, etc. When I took my ASL class most recently, I immediately let the instructor know. A lotta times she would show me, and then come over and take my hands and position them how it would be for me doing the sign. We had fun activities where we could get up in front of the class and do little skits. I just tried to be very open about it with both her and the other students.

just took a break, looked back at other posts in the thread here...

in college I was also registered with Disabled Student Services and had a variety of accommodations, so this could also be something that could really serve you in the future or in general....for me, I think of it as - leveling the playing field- it's not something that is an "extra" or "special" thing - just gave me the same ability to access as general students registering.

but for the class :hmm: <brainstorming, humor me> - if you're very visual, maybe what about a drawing you make for the describing of rooms ....like make a drawing of the room based on how you think it is described, or if there's a text with ASL gloss and English descriptions, use that to make the drawing and then go back to look at the drawing without the gloss or the English and see if you could put the picture on the paper into an ASL conversation.

you could also take putty, cloth things with texture if you're very tactile, and make like a model of what you think the description could be, maybe associate one texture with one ASL component of the room, or the set of instructions?

Back