DVDs that are NOT subtitled.

Yeah...

I have many fansub tapes that I refuse to sell to anyone. But... blame to idiots did sell fansub tapes and dvds.

I don't like fansubs, it's bad for the small anime producing companies. But I don't mind watching ONE fansub episode (the beginning of a series) so I can see if I like the series, and buy the DVD boxset of it. I have been trying to get a fansub of Please (Onegai) Teacher so I can buy the series boxset if I like it.

Interesting to see what Australia and America have or not. I do have complaints about it, for example I wanted to purchase DVDs starred bu Cary Grant, but they are not subititled! grr.. I saw a boxed set of Cary Grant DVDS but they only have it in spanish, chinese and japanese captions! :O

*sigh* *sulking*

All DVD's should be captioned.

When you go buy or rent your favorite DVD look on the cover to see if it has a CC on it.
That will tell you that is captioned, not don't get it.
Also write to the company who makes the DVd's demind them to CC the DVDs'.
I love CC!!
Margie

Unfortunately CC - Closed Captions will ONLY show up if you have a Closed Captioned DVD player decoder, or the software on a PC with a DVD drive ie. PowerDVD - a DVD playing program. However, if there are no English subtitles, I prefer to get CC so I can watch it on the computer anyway. I have TV output now so I can watch them on the TV through the computer.

Well, this movie I wanted to see so bad, "The Butterfly Effect" isn't at all closed captioned or even has any english subtitles. I rented it, no subtitles...I ordered it on tv for pay per view...no closed caption.

Doesn't anyone find that messed up?

If a VHS or DVD movie bearing the Closed Caption logo dont have closed captioning or subtitiling, dont return it. Call the video rental place tell them you want your money back or you will send the VHS or DVD to the FBI and tell them it's pirated because they forgot to copy the closed captions.

Richard

It makes me angry that most of the music DVD's are not subtitled. I love 2pac and i bought one of his documetry called "Biggie and Tupac" Its wonderful but not subtitled! Should i sue them? :laugh2:

A TRICK with this problem-----IF IF you guys have playstation 2, you can pop the dvd movie in your playstation 2, the regular CC will come on DVD if DVD dont have English Subtitles but it says CC on it, it will work with playstation 2 instead dvd player.. :-D JUST A HINT for you all to know! IT WILL WORK.. I tested with my new movie, Elf. It have no English Subtitles but it said CC on it so I tried with my playstation 2 and it works. the regular CC popped up and ENJOYED my movie the night away!

Ahh that's very useful. I've got a couple of DVDs, Supergirl for one, that only have closed captions and to view it on the TV from the PC is a lot of hassle. Can't they just put on normal English subtitles that everyone can turn on using the menu? There are a lot of DVDs out there with subtitles, I'm considering setting up a petition for all R4 DVDs to have subtitles from all DVD companies. It does not cost much to make a subtitle file, let alone copy subtitles from another region and sync it so it's in time. Oh, and if someone could tell me if it's true that all American DVDs have to have at least closed captions?

There is another option you can try if you come across a DVD without subtitles. Either try decoding it as a divx, so you can download a subtitle file from a website, say www.divxsubtitles.net and watch it, or you can look into subtitled DVDs from other regions.

A few titles have neither closed captions nor subtitles.

One is the cute robot movie "Short Circuit" that I watched as a little kid. A damn shame!

A solution:

Use a "Progressive-Scan" DVD Player...
(even if your TV is not progressive scan - just use the regular outputs)

Apparently, more of them contain caption decoders built-in, than non-progressive-scan DVD players. This is because closed captions need to be decoded before the progressive scan step.

I know I'm just bumping an old thread, but i had found something out that maybe someone else can benefit from.

I had a JVC DVD player that would not show closed captions. Period. Turns out that the subtitle option was ALWAYS ON (and could NOT be turned off), and somehow this was keeping the closed captioning from displaying. This happened on another player I had, too (a Panasonic, maybe??), and I had to turn the subs OFF by default to allow cc to come through.

When the DVD player is hooked up to the tv via component input (the yellow, red, and green plugs), My Hitachi HDTV TV wouldn't decode the captions that come through the component inputs. I had to use the sutitles when I used progressive scan through those plugs. Anything coming through S-Video hookup worked fine, though.

Okay...I guess this thread can die now...I found it by looking to vent that Dark Shadows was not CCd or subtitled...either on VHS or DVD. Sux.

DarrenD said:
I had a JVC DVD player that would not show closed captions. Period. Turns out that the subtitle option was ALWAYS ON (and could NOT be turned off), and somehow this was keeping the closed captioning from displaying. This happened on another player I had, too (a Panasonic, maybe??), and I had to turn the subs OFF by default to allow cc to come through.
What model do you have? Mine is a JVC XV-N420B. This DVD player does output subtitles or closed captioning via any route, from coaxial to SuperVideo to component cables. I've got it hooked up to a Samsung SlimFit 30" HDTV unit and it works great.

On a related note, the Dilbert DVD collection isn't subtitled, but is indeed captioned. Ditto for the Dune DVD as produced by the SciFi channel.

It is the XV-M555, one of the older models. Crapped out on me a LOT, so i quit using it. I even wrote to JVC and asked why it wasn't passing along the CC stream, and their reply was "The player does not have CC. It has subtitle only." Excuse me? DVD players do not decode the CC stream...they merely should allow it to pass through. I learned about the subtitle option messing with the CC in a thread or two at one of the movie forums I used to frequent. Even in the setup there was no way that I could find to turn off the subtitles...all they had was codes for regions of the world, but no OFF option! The "Line 21" that the CC is on is passed through in the video signal. Somehow this player screwed it all up.

I use a Pioneer now so i can play both DVD-A and SACD music. I love listening to and converting stereo into surround sound music...which I guess is only natural for a deaf guy, huh? :) But this one has never interfered with the CC signal.

And I will never, ever forgive MPI video or Dan Curtis productions, or whoever is responsible, for not captioning or subtitling Dark Shadows. I was so mad I wanted to sue somebody! And Wal-Mart is selling the box sets now for cheaper than they used to sell for anywhere else! Dammit!! I've waited for YEARS for a way to catch all the dialogue in that show, cheesy as it was.

Even the first season boxset of Highlander, I believe, is not CCed, though the rest of them are. I would have bought that the first day it came out, too.

Also on topic...I would like to see a lot of the movies that The Criterion Collection put out. I have quite a few, but they are expensive and the extras are NOT subbed or CCed unless the director is foreign. That pisses me off a lot, too. I hate it when the extras are not done like the movies are, so we deaf people are just supposed to enjoy the movie, only??

It feels good to vent around those who understand where I'm coming from. :tears:

Some DVD releases still not captioned/subtitled.

Hello folks,

Some DVD (TV series) releases still are not captioned/subtitled:

The Land of Lost (TV series)
The Lost World (TV series)
Dinotopia (TV series) (Only movie - captioned).
Space:1999 (TV series)
UFO (TV series)
Speed Racer X
etc..

When will they plan to add closed captions/subtitles to that (next edition)?

Thanks,
Tim

Back