DVDs coming with no captions

Ice

Reaction score
the heck is with these cheap companies releaseing DVDs with no captons

no subtitles either, so far only TV shows released on DVD are like this, the latest is Doogie Houiser MD, which was released in 1989 so u cant tell me it didnt have captions

and for that matter i have andy griffith on DVD and that came out in the 60s,

Ice said:

no subtitles either, so far only TV shows released on DVD are like this, the latest is Doogie Houiser MD, which was released in 1989 so u cant tell me it didnt have captions

That's Anchor Bay Entertainment for you. They do caption their DVDs, but sometimes they don't. It does get onto my nerves when they do that.

I want to get Pink Floyd - The Wall, but last I looked, no captions or subtitles! :(

Steve

Banjo said:
That's Anchor Bay Entertainment for you. They do caption their DVDs, but sometimes they don't. It does get onto my nerves when they do that.
:werd: I was really disappointed when the original Transformers series weren't captioned. Not even the movie was captioned. A company in Canada called Rhino don't bother to subtitle their videos. I contacted them many times and they simply replied, "Thanks for your comments. We'll take them into consideration for our future products." Argh!

If youre looking for "captions" as you see on tv, then youre wasting your time. Many DVD's have "subtitles" that look different than "captions" that you can turn on and read.

Remember "subtitles" are almost like "captions". So if no CC logo on it then its highly likely it has subtitles.

It's pretty much like 'qualified' terps verses 'certified' terps.

Richard

I had no problem with DVD because lots of them have subtitle. I use that and everyone in this house like subtitle than caption because you can see the background better with subtitle than captioned.

Ice said:

i think i was quite clear when i said it had no subtitles either ;p are u deaf or blind? :laugh2:

Hi Everyone
Since Im new here Im not sure where the best place to post this issue about ,, but this thread looks like it might work :) ( read Vamps request about starting new threads)

I am beyond irritated about this captioning issue. I rent DVD's for my sons and we never know if its going to be captioned at all .. and if it is will it be English or just Spanish! *sigh* He likes having Spanish on opposed to nothing.. even though he cant understand it. Thats sad. I feel so guilty when I Cant take the time to sit and interpret the movie for him. They all should be captioned PERIOD.

IS there a list of companies who put out movies that are not captioned?.. a petition some where? what can I do?

Also is there a list of movies that are put out on DVD captioned?
Elf wasnt.

I cant imagine it would be that expensive to add captioning to a DVD.

ALso... Im in the Los Angeles area.. does anyone have any links to sights that post Theater showings with captioning?

Thanks
Tara

Yup, this time I agree with you. Seen that with subtitle. Just toss in DVD, and when it gets to main menu, go down to language or set up then language and you will see subtiles for few languages. Often you will find "Subtiles for hearing impaired". Just enable them and your all set. The reason for not printing CC on the DVD box is probably legal reason. They are not allowed to use trademark like this CC trademarks we see everyday because it BELONGS to Captioning agency. So subtiles are not from Captioning agency therefore they are not allowed to advertise. Stupid copyright issues, sorry folks.

Nesmuth said:
If youre looking for "captions" as you see on tv, then youre wasting your time. Many DVD's have "subtitles" that look different than "captions" that you can turn on and read.

Remember "subtitles" are almost like "captions". So if no CC logo on it then its highly likely it has subtitles.

Richard

sata_rupa_tara said:
Hi Everyone
Since Im new here Im not sure where the best place to post this issue about ,, but this thread looks like it might work :) ( read Vamps request about starting new threads)

I am beyond irritated about this captioning issue. I rent DVD's for my sons and we never know if its going to be captioned at all .. and if it is will it be English or just Spanish! *sigh* He likes having Spanish on opposed to nothing.. even though he cant understand it. Thats sad. I feel so guilty when I Cant take the time to sit and interpret the movie for him. They all should be captioned PERIOD.

From what you've described, it sounds like you're talking about subtitles, not closed captioning. Big difference, captioning decoders are built in all of the TVs that are bigger than 13 inches (screen). But subtitles are on the DVDs, not TV sets.

It sounds like you don't get closed captioning at all. Most DVDs out today are captioned. Most movies are captioned, and many are subtitled for the deaf too. It may be your DVD player that is blocking the CC signals.

Anyway, if you want to check if a movie is captioned or not... check the DVD case before renting it. They often have symbols on it.

Also is there a list of movies that are put out on DVD captioned?
Elf wasnt.

Elf is not subtitled in English, but it is enabled for closed captioning. I know because I own a copy of it. It's definitely the DVD player that is giving you the problem, not the movies.

Trust me, I know it is.

I have the same problem with my DVD Player, it is a regionless DVD Player which enables to play DVDs from any region of the world. Unfortunately, it blocks the captions from showing up, so I have to watch DVDs that already have subtitles on them, or watch on the DVD player in the other room.

Thanks for the replies...
We watch DVDs on the PS2- you are right, it is subtitled

Our TV that has CC ability is broken so we are watching an older TV that does not have CC ... we even called the manufacturer and theres no way to change it. Hopefully it won't cost too much to fix the broken one.

sata_rupa_tara said:
Thanks for the replies...
We watch DVDs on the PS2- you are right, it is subtitled

Our TV that has CC ability is broken so we are watching an older TV that does not have CC ... we even called the manufacturer and theres no way to change it. Hopefully it won't cost too much to fix the broken one.

Actually, the early models of PS2 wasn't enabled to use the progressive-scan technology while playing the movies, but the newer ones can which is probably why the captions aren't displayed.

Can somebody go to a deaf organizion and sue the DVD company maufacter for discrimination? Kinda making a company that hires only white employees and when the NAACP sees that theyre sue the company for discrimination.

I have a DVD , which was bought from Bali, from my aunt, it is captioned but you have to press Spanish they converts the captions in english.... :dunno: The english ones converts in spanish, my friends and silblings gets confused, when I set up the subtitles, and I hate to watch DVD's that has no subititles :rl:...I want ALL of them fully captioned. :popcorn:

ravensteve1961 said:
Can somebody go to a deaf organizion and sue the DVD company maufacter for discrimination? Kinda making a company that hires only white employees and when the NAACP sees that theyre sue the company for discrimination.

Maybe.... :deal:

ravensteve1961 said:

I don't think this is really a case of discrimination, as much as it is expected demographic, production and time contraints.

Nesmuth said:

Why do you have to take a perfectly good discussion and inject your personal screed against interpreters?

I notice you didn't bother "advocating" for this person in your area:

sata_rupa_tara said:
ALso... Im in the Los Angeles area.. does anyone have any links to sights that post Theater showings with captioning?

Try this site:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DeafCalifornia/

Their mailing list covers northern and southern CA, but just about every digest includes listings of captioned films in SoCal (sorry, can't remember if they're open or reverse captioned). Get the digest version, it is sent once every couple of days and includes an index of subject and which city the message applies to. Hope that helps.

Pink Flyod, the wall

Steve said:
I want to get Pink Floyd - The Wall, but last I looked, no captions or subtitles! :(

True, but they're hard to find also. Does anyone know where I could buy one of these?? I love them so much.

Attachments

• beatdown.gif
    beatdown.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 109
  • bootyshake.gif
    bootyshake.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 109
Ice said:

I recently checked out the Doogie DVD... it is captioned.

Back