DVD Software with Closed Captions - Need Help PLEASE !

Rebel

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've got a few DVDs here that don't have subtitles, but have Closed Captions. Since I can't use my DVD player to play them, I was wondering if anyone knew of a Windows program that can display Closed Captions on DVDs. I have Power DVD 5, which is SUPPOSED to have Closed Captioning support, but doesn't let me select it from the menu. Is there a plugin or something available, or any other program I can use ? I'd really appreciate any help you can give me, I've been stressing over this for weeks.

You will probably need to check with the manufacturer of the DVD program. That's one reason why I'm not crazy for DVD players on computers.

Rebel said:
Hey everyone. I've got a few DVDs here that don't have subtitles, but have Closed Captions. Since I can't use my DVD player to play them, I was wondering if anyone knew of a Windows program that can display Closed Captions on DVDs. I have Power DVD 5, which is SUPPOSED to have Closed Captioning support, but doesn't let me select it from the menu. Is there a plugin or something available, or any other program I can use ? I'd really appreciate any help you can give me, I've been stressing over this for weeks.

I have PowerDVD 5 and the closed captioning display work just fine. Apparently, you just don't know where to look for it.

During the movie play, right-click and you can see "Closed Captioning" on it. Go there and click on normal display or reverse display.

You cannot select closed captioning on the DVD menus, but you can select the subtitles. But if you want the captioning, then you have to do it during the movie play. It will become a default after you click on it till you decide to turn it off.

I don't think you understand, I have TRIED to select it from the menu, but the item that says "Closed Captions" is ghosted out and can't be selected. Are there any other programs out there I can use ?

Rebel said:
I don't think you understand, I have TRIED to select it from the menu, but the item that says "Closed Captions" is ghosted out and can't be selected. Are there any other programs out there I can use ?

If the Closed Captions is ghosted, then may mean the DVD is not captioned. At least, it does in general.

What movies have you tried to use CC with?

Rebel said:

It has happened to me before... I removed the powerDVD then reinstalled it and the closed captioning worked...

Download subtitles from www.subtitles.cz or http://www.divxsubtitles.net (both free with registrations) - subtitles are created by others, and sometimes there might be bad english or it may have wrong subtitles for the movie. It happens even if it is rare, but I don't have a problem with it.

But I still think you need to file a complaint with the DVD company that made the CD.. maybe you'll get a free DVD as a compensation or a refund.

Okay, well I tried the DVDs on my Mum's PC, and the Closed Captions worked perfectly, so I just copied her version of Power DVD to CD, copied it over the version I have installed on my own PC, and now they work fine. Must have been missing a library file or something.

Rebel said:
Okay, well I tried the DVDs on my Mum's PC, and the Closed Captions worked perfectly, so I just copied her version of Power DVD to CD, copied it over the version I have installed on my own PC, and now they work fine. Must have been missing a library file or something.

That's good to hear. Glad it worked out.

Rebel said:

I guess Microsoft stopped producing cc decorder for newer windows. :dunno:

Please pass this along and sign!

"Closed Captioned on All Promotional and Product Installation Videos/DVDs"
hosted on the web by our free online petition service, at:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/cc2004/

To: Manufacturers
We the undersigned are asking you the manufacturers to include closed
captioning on your promotional and/or product installation videos/DVDs.

The D(d)eaf and Hard of Hearing community relies on closed captioning to
follow the dialogue in a promotional and/or product installation
video/DVD.
If you have ever tried watching such a video with the sound off, you
realize that it is impossible to fully understand what is going on when
you can not hear what the manufacturer’s representative is saying. These
deaf/hard of hearing people are your potential consumers and I’m sure you,
the manufacturers, would want them to have full access to videos.

Please understand the importance of closed captioning to the D(d)eaf and
Hard of Hearing community and put closed captioning on your promotional
and/or product installation videos/DVDs. Closed captioning is good
business and promotes access.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

To Sign this:
http://www.petitiononline.com/cc200...tion-sign.html?

To View Current Signatures:
http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_p...gned.cgi?cc2004

The Closed Captioned on All Promotional and Product Installation
Videos/DVDs Petition to Manufacturers was created by and written by
Michael Zeledon. This petition is hosted here at www.PetitionOnline.com as
a public service. There is no endorsement of this petition, express or
implied, by Artifice, Inc. or our sponsors. For technical support please
use our simple Petition Help form

I have 2 DVD different program, if the DVD contained a special codes to play a DVD movies, either WMP or PCFriendly DVD programs.. WMP have transparent CC on it (almost like a stubtitle captions).. PCFreindly DVD program have a black/white CC on it or Stubtitles on it..

Back