dvd not showing captions

flyingace

Reaction score
I have a boxed set of DVDs and so far it's been fine but the last two discs I watched have had problems where suddenly there's no captions, and if I stop or go back, the captions show up-sometimes. I'm wondering if it's possible the DVD player is wearing out, or if the problem is in the disc. Does anyone have an opinion?

Are you on PC? or regular DVD Player? I am bit confused what you playing on.

I know when I changed DVD players a lot of that went away.

In my case it was a old DVD player.

mine is a few years old, I was wondering if it's time for a new DVD player. I guess I'll buy a new one and see if the captions stop disappearing from my DVDs.

It seems hard to find a specific DVD player that would show captions from DVD...now these days I use subtitles on almost all dvds.

The Simpsons and Roseanne dvds that I own do not contain subtitles...only captions and it is indeed stressful for me to find a specific dvd player that would allow me to play discs showing captions on my tv.

If it's a boxed set of an old television or movie series, then it's possible that the company messed up with the captioning layer on one of the DVDs.

Which DVD is it?

It could be that the DVD laser head just needs to be cleaned. Since it worked at first and then started not working later on. If laser cannot read clearly it could cause it to mess up intermiently.

It seems hard to find a specific DVD player that would show captions from DVD...now these days I use subtitles on almost all dvds.

The Simpsons and Roseanne dvds that I own do not contain subtitles...only captions and it is indeed stressful for me to find a specific dvd player that would allow me to play discs showing captions on my tv.

If I choose subtitles, then I'd have two layers-captions and subtitles. I didn't know that some DVD players were better than others at closed-captions.

If it's a boxed set of an old television or movie series, then it's possible that the company messed up with the captioning layer on one of the DVDs.

Which DVD is it?

X-Files. I'm almost done with season 5.

It could be that the DVD laser head just needs to be cleaned. Since it worked at first and then started not working later on. If laser cannot read clearly it could cause it to mess up intermiently.

how do you clean the laser head?

I've never done it but if I were to do it, I would take it apart and clean the head with cotton swab with small amount of alochol. Other's might have better idea. Could always buy a cleaner that is designed to clean head while it's running.

Try putting your DVD in your PC.
If you have a DVD reader see if you can get subtitles out of it, so you can eliminate the media being the problem.
This way if you know you can get subtitles on the PC, then you will know the problem is with the DVD player.

If you're on the 2k/XP/Vista/w7 OS variant, you'll need a playback program like KMPlayer(personal preference), BSPlayer, VLC player, plenty others that are free.

One thing I can think of is, for certain CD's especially, bootlegs.. it may be that the DVD's from another region and you have to cycle through the subtitle options till it works. I know it's a dumb response, but did you try cycling through every subtitle option available on your dvd player/TV to see if it works?

Cleaning the head (eye) of the player is quite simple. You just try your best at attempting to remove any dust particles you think may be on it.
istockphoto_3578102_dvd_drive_and_laser_head.jpg

The little lens next to the spindle "holder" is your target. Your mission is to clean it using non-scratching methods the best you can.

Instead of writing it out how to do it, being lazy — I just googled it for you instead:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2036275_clean-lens-dvd.html

But usually this is reserved for issues where the disc isn't reading at all, or giving choppy playback issues.
Your mileage may vary.

If you have a DVD reader see if you can get subtitles out of it, so you can eliminate the media being the problem.
This way if you know you can get subtitles on the PC, then you will know the problem is with the DVD player.

If you're on the 2k/XP/Vista/w7 OS variant, you'll need a playback program like KMPlayer(personal preference), BSPlayer, VLC player, plenty others that are free.

One thing I can think of is, for certain CD's especially, bootlegs.. it may be that the DVD's from another region and you have to cycle through the subtitle options till it works. I know it's a dumb response, but did you try cycling through every subtitle option available on your dvd player/TV to see if it works?

Cleaning the head (eye) of the player is quite simple. You just try your best at attempting to remove any dust particles you think may be on it.

The little lens next to the spindle "holder" is your target. Your mission is to clean it using non-scratching methods the best you can.

Instead of writing it out how to do it, being lazy — I just googled it for you instead:
How to Clean the Laser Pickup Lens on your DVD Player | eHow.com

But usually this is reserved for issues where the disc isn't reading at all, or giving choppy playback issues.
Your mileage may vary.

Vista and Windows 7 does include DVD decoder preinstalled but XP and below aren't.

I had same issue with Regular DVD player connect to TV. CC stopped working in the middle of run (It's always halfway into movie!!), I just simply stop DVD, backtrack then play again. It finally show CC. Sometime CC became garbled..

If it won't resolve, I stopped DVD and eject, Check DVD to be sure the platter is clean or re-clean DVD platter then reload DVD then go to Scene Selection and run from there where I left off and CC back to normal.

I had same issue with Subtitle turned on and it stopped working in the middle of the movie and I did the same above. It seem like DVD players are crappy!! Even DVD disk are clean, some are "virgin" no scratches and DVD player reader head are clean but still.....

Some strange issue, I believe it's my TV.. DVD in living room TV had problem with CC so I move the DVD movie to my bedroom and DVD movie with CC works fine on bedroom TV (Sometime with same DVD player that I moved it with DVD movie if bedroom DVD player don't work too well). All DVD players have good grade cable ( thick cable with 3 RCA Yel/Wht/Red jacks that came with DVD players and also got extras from friends too)

DVD Players I own are

-PS2 gaming console doubled as DVD player
-Cyberhome DVD player (didn't have model number but it's a cheap $35 DVD player which is small silver box and I loaned it to my co worker and never got it back. I didn't care much cuz it's old and problemic. DVD movie suddenly stop halfway and even CC or Subtitle stopped working. This DVD player have built in CC decoder)
-Toshiba DVD SD-1800
-Element Electronics Portable DVD E771PD (dual monitors for travel or home use and I bought it from now defunct Circuit City last year :giggle: )

All my DVD players including PS2 gaming console does the same. I dunno why! :shrug:

I wonder Movie creators are not taking CC or Subtitle seriously? This is what :pissed: us deafie off!!

Catty

How to Clean the Laser Pickup Lens on your DVD Player | eHow.com

Your mileage may vary.

Isopropyl alcohol or Floppy (or VHS Tape) head Alcohol cleaner (if you happen to have one laying around for long time) would do just fine, Be sure that you dip one end of swab quickly and don't over soak it. If it's soaked, just gently squeeze excess out before swabbing DVD reader len. Do it GENTLY, Cuz the DVD len is hanging in middle by copper "aucosic" coil and it is fragile. You can poke through it easily if you swab hard. You break it, you're crapped!!! :eek2: :giggle:

{Warning!!} Don't use oil base paint cleaner or OOps!! brand paint and stain remover. It'll "eat" plastics!! and if you risk using it, DVD read len would be damaged for good! :giggle:

Thanks Naisho! I'll try that next. I like performing surgery on my electronics! :naughty:

Catty, I tried doing what another poster suggested-I put the offending disc in my DVD drive and the captions didn't show up. I stopped it, chose subtitles and that worked fine. Then I put the disc in the DVD player again and chose subtitles just in case the captions didn't work on the next episode (just two episodes had problems). The episode I watched last night had no problems with captions.

Either the problem was in two episodes, or the DVD player knows I'm talking about taking it apart and/or replacing it, so it decided to behave itself. For now, at least. :roll:

Thanks for all the suggestions! :ty:

Back