DVD and Blu-Ray subtitle rant

wilykat

Reaction score
Why is it that when shows are on TV it has closed captioning but when it's released on DVD, it doesn't get any? Take for example, Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmare. It's fairly new and not very old series so no reason not to include subtitle.

It's not just newer series, older series were also stupidly released without any benefit to the deaf. I have the complete Robotech VHS series, it has closed captioning. I've tried a few versions of Robotech DVD they have released, surprise no closed captioning or subtitle. Yet DVD is released by the same company that released the VHS tapes. No excuse there.

I've also been burned by ambagious labeling. I recently picked up a 2 movie pack featuring Wizards (Fred Savage and Nintendo movie) and Cloak and Dagger. The package leqd me to think both movie had CC. But only Wizard has closed captioning. When I contacted the company, they said only Wizard had captioning from when both movies were available separately, and that Cloak and Dagger was never captioned. :mad:

I've also been bummed when they release Blu-Ray version and left out subtitle. For example, Time Bandit, I have the older DVD with closed captioning. The USA version of Time Bandit doesn't have anything, and Canada version has only French subtitle. :hmm:

It's silly that I'd need to rip the DVD to get caption track, and the BD to combine the 1080i video with the caption. (and MPAA had the nerve to complain when people rip discs?)

There have been many more DVD and BD that I passed because it had no labeling or was very ambiguous about whether it has English subtitle or closed captioning.

The problem I've bumped into more often than not are DVDs that say they have subtitles and don't. I wrote to the company of one to complain and got another DVD with subtitles. They actually implied that I was at fault for buying through Amazon. Usually if you wait (a while), the subtitles come later but I've had a few films, more than a few really, where I'm still waiting years later. There should a law that requires companies to include subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing.

Laura

It's not just newer series, older series were also stupidly released without any benefit to the deaf. I have the complete Robotech VHS series, it has closed captioning. I've tried a few versions of Robotech DVD they have released, surprise no closed captioning or subtitle. Yet DVD is released by the same company that released the VHS tapes. No excuse there.

Actually, there is one box set (that I had) have English subtitle. I believe it's called Robotech Remastered. See this link: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Robotech-Remastered-Extended-Cam-Clarke/dp/B00011ZBRA/ref=sr_1_29?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1372732581&sr=1-29&keywords=Robotech+Macross]Amazon.com: Robotech Remastered - Volume 1 Extended Edition[/ame]

I agreed with you that there's no excuse for the Blu Ray companies not to include subtitles.

Actually, there is one box set (that I had) have English subtitle. I believe it's called Robotech Remastered. See this link: Amazon.com: Robotech Remastered - Volume 1 Extended Edition

Hmmm :ty: need to check that out. I did search by Google and it seems all the remastered edition was combined and reissued as Robotech Protoculture Collection with a few extra discs, the bonus discs from ADV release. The big box set is much cheaper used than individual sets to get complete series.

Keep in mind, the protoculture box set does not have subtitle. It was the first box set I bought and it turned out it doesn't have subtitle. Only Remastered edition that offers subtitle.

Back