Drought, heat bring spiders out

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Heat driving brown recluses to seek refuge inside homes

(CNN) -
Record high temperatures and rapid expanding drought across the country is resulting in an increase in spiders.

"All insects are cold-blooded, so in extreme heat they develop quicker, which results in more generations popping up now compared to previous summers," said Jim Fredericks, an entomologist and wildlife ecology expert with the National Pest Management Association.

One spider to watch out for is arguably one of mother nature's most dangerous, the brown recluse. The extreme heat is driving brown recluses to seek refuge inside homes.

Easily disguised as a common house spider, the venom from a brown recluse can cause irritation to the skin, lesions, and in rare cases, death.

"All spiders have a venomous bite, but only a few can be medically dangerous to humans, and the brown recluse is a top concern," said Fredericks.

The brown recluse spider is smaller than you might imagine -- about the size of a quarter. It's tan in color and has a dark spot in the shape of a violin on its body.

You aren't likely to see them roaming around during the day -- like their name suggests, they are reclusive. They typically hide in dark corners of your home, or in stored items like boxes and in closets.

"A common misconception is that spiders like to bite people," said Fredericks. "But they actually don't recognize people as a food source, and will typically only bite as a defense mechanism."

A bite from a brown recluse will be painless at first. Within three to eight hours, the bite site will become swollen, red, and tender to the touch. In 95% of cases, the irritation ends there and the bite will heal on its own without developing into a more serious irritation.

In some cases, however, the venom begins to break down the cells in the skin and progress into a necrotic lesion needing immediate medical attention. This process takes about two to three weeks.

"It is rare for a brown recluse to result in death, but it can occur in children or adults who are allergic to the spider's venom," said Fredericks. "It best to get medical attention right away if bitten, to make sure you aren't allergic."

Brown recluse spiders are generally concentrated in the midwestern and south-central regions of the United States.

Reduce your risk of being bitten by wearing long gloves if sorting through dark spaces in your home or moving boxes and furniture. Experts also recommend setting out glue boards (which can be purchased at your local home improvement store) to catch the spiders before they have an opportunity to bite.

Drought, heat bring spiders out | Health - Home

Brown recluse spiders are cute;

Thomas_Shahan_215.png

1343849098_kid_scared_of_spider.gif

Well......at least they can't fly. A friend of mine was bitten by a brown recluse on his arm, the site started to, I don't know..rot? he had to have it cut out. blech. But yeah, thanks for the good news Robin, my daughter found a spider on the corner of the ceiling a couple days ago and wanted me to "get it". I knocked it down with a broom, and then it disappeared, it was crawling around on the broom bristles, and then.....I don't know where it went. It was light brown and about the size of a quarter.....this isn't freaking me out or anything :eek3:

this makes me feel so good about my allergy to spider bites -_-

You live in Canada and you are out of brown recluse spider range so you are safe, unless someone transport stuff from southern/midwestern states to you.

German house spiders and brown recluses look nearly identical. They compete for habitat though. If you know you have german house spiders then chances are you do not have brown recluses.

Well......at least they can't fly. A friend of mine was bitten by a brown recluse on his arm, the site started to, I don't know..rot? he had to have it cut out. blech. But yeah, thanks for the good news Robin, my daughter found a spider on the corner of the ceiling a couple days ago and wanted me to "get it". I knocked it down with a broom, and then it disappeared, it was crawling around on the broom bristles, and then.....I don't know where it went. It was light brown and about the size of a quarter.....this isn't freaking me out or anything :eek3:

Oh really, is it happened in SC?

SC isn't in brown recluse spider range, except for far western part of state.

When you see brown spiders, it could be house or common spiders that aren't brown recluse spider. Next time, if you see brown spider so try to catch with tweezer and put in heavy duty plastic bag with sealed so use magnifier to inspect if it has violin on body. If it is true so you need to be alert if you see several more so get out of house and call pest control, you have to sleep in family or relative's house or sleep in hotel until spider problem is eradicated.

There are no brown recluse spiders in our house, even Alabama is in brown recluse spider range and I inspected all brown spiders, none are recluse, they are house spiders.

German house spiders and brown recluses look nearly identical. They compete for habitat though. If you know you have german house spiders then chances are you do not have brown recluses.

Oh really, I could spot the brown recluse spider very easily because I live in their territory and I found some of them at community college.

No violin on body means they aren't brown recluse spiders.

You live in Washington state and have you heard about Hobo spider?

Oh really, is it happened in SC?

SC isn't in brown recluse spider range, except for far western part of state.

When you see brown spiders, it could be house or common spiders that aren't brown recluse spider. Next time, if you see brown spider so try to catch with tweezer and put in heavy duty plastic bag with sealed so use magnifier to inspect if it has violin on body. If it is true so you need to be alert if you see several more so get out of house and call pest control, you have to sleep in family or relative's house or sleep in hotel until spider problem is eradicated.

There are no brown recluse spiders in our house, even Alabama is in brown recluse spider range and I inspected all brown spiders, none are recluse, they are house spiders.

It was probably just one of the usual spiders I find around here :D This story just made me go :eek3: lol. My friend that bit by a brown recluse, this happened in NH. Also out of range of for them. He installs signs, like the big neon ones, he was doing something with an old sign, repairing or removing I'm not sure, but he reached inside it and got bit.

You live in Canada and you are out of brown recluse spider range so you are safe, unless someone transport stuff from southern/midwestern states to you.

I am currently on vacation in Florida...lol and there are tons of spiders I've seen since I've been here

keep those bloody things your side of pond,i hate spiders scare crap out of me

I always walk into spider webs.. :lol: They sho' like trees. There's spider eggs everywhere in the garage.. my family is full of hippies. :lol:

oh crap! HObo spiders are the ones I meant!

Finally, I'm glad that you figured it out.

Hobo spiders are usually range in northwestern US and it is possible to see hobo spiders in anywhere if someone brings stuff from Washington to Florida.

The body between hobo and brown recluse are different.

Brown recluse spiders are native in US, originally in south central US and they are only found in forest, especially barks until humans introduce the clutter that make easier for them to hide in house and colonize the house that cause infestation. Brown recluse spiders are extremely difficult to colonize anywhere, outside of house and they are unlikely to spread, unless climate change force them to move up.

Hobo spiders are non-native to US because they were accidentally into northwestern US in 1930's and been spread to mostly northwestern (Washington, Oregon and far north CA) and interior western states (like Utah and Idaho). I don't know if they will capable to spread to entire of US and you are correct about brown recluse spiders will be extinct if dominated by hobo spiders. Europe has version of hobo spider but they used different name - giant house spider. I don't know about how bad is hobo spider and noticed that they are infested in abandoned, old houses in northwestern US (seen on Infested show).

It was probably just one of the usual spiders I find around here :D This story just made me go :eek3: lol. My friend that bit by a brown recluse, this happened in NH. Also out of range of for them. He installs signs, like the big neon ones, he was doing something with an old sign, repairing or removing I'm not sure, but he reached inside it and got bit.

Oh wow, it sounds like your friend brought stuff from southern state, even brown recluse spiders could hide in suitcase or inherited from previous owner.

I am currently on vacation in Florida...lol and there are tons of spiders I've seen since I've been here

What part of Florida are you in?

Florida is out of brown recluse spider range, except if you are in Florida Panhandle like Pensacola.

Don't assume if they are brown recluse spider when you find them so you have to ID them.

I found brown recluse spider infested, abandoned house in Mississippi for free so you are more than welcome to squatting this house.

When you get bite so don't forget to call Rockin Robin and she will happily to assist you. :lol:

Back