Driving... phobia?

Lexii

Reaction score
I'm deaf in my right ear, and have a profound loss in my left ear.

I have a BAHA implant, that I LOVE, but my BAHA was stolen when I was temporarily using a Zales Jewelry case to hold it. I was in the wrong place, at the wrong time :( I was just about to start driving when this happened (half the reason I even got the implant was to make things like driving, less stressful). and unfortunately, I can't really afford to replace it anytime soon...

Well, I'm 22 and still don't drive. I can't even sit in the drivers seat without feeling completely helpless and panicky.

Now, I've noticed that if I'm not on the right side of a person, group, etc, I become immensely uncomfortable. I get almost a sense of anxiety or panic, because I don't know what I might miss out on and I don't feel in control. I have GAD (general anixety disorder), so I'm sure that doesn't help. This is not ideal when sitting in the drivers seat and the passengers are on my deaf side.

Has anyone else in a similar situation felt like this? (whether it's driving, or just being on the wrong side of someone). What do you do to help you feel better and get through it?

try motorcycle? :)

I'm deaf and I wear 2 BTE HA. When I ride, I don't wear it. I'm not sure I understand your post. You stated that you're 22 and still don't drive and yet you get panicky if you sit on driver seat?

I suppose you meant that since your BAHA implant got stolen, you can't drive?

No, I was in the middle of getting my license (finished drivers ed, needed to take the driven test). I never completed it, because once I didn't have my BAHA, the anxiety started.

I freak out when I go out practice driving and end up not really getting anything done... It's definitely anxiety, I know that it's not like it something that can't be done. But I was just wondering if anyone else has had this kind of problem.

No, I was in the middle of getting my license (finished drivers ed, needed to take the driven test). I never completed it, because once I didn't have my BAHA, the anxiety started.

I freak out when I go out practice driving and end up not really getting anything done... It's definitely anxiety, I know that it's not like it something that can't be done. But I was just wondering if anyone else has had this kind of problem.

If this would help: Hearing nor the lack of it isn't a basis for safe driving. Btw, welcome to Alldeaf.

ah I see. I don't really have any useful advice for anxiety-related situation. My advice's rather crude and narrow-minded.

All I can say is - try skydiving. motorcycling. so that you'll see that you won't die when you don't have a control of it.

If this would help: Hearing nor the lack of it isn't a basis for safe driving. Btw, welcome to Alldeaf.

But she has GAD. That disorder would find another reason to be phobic even after the BAHA is back.

Better to treat the GAD and don't stray from the doctor's recommendations.

ah I see. I don't really have any useful advice for anxiety-related situation. My advice's rather crude and narrow-minded.

All I can say is - try skydiving. motorcycling. so that you'll see that you won't die when you don't have a control of it.

You sound like my dad. I was terrified of him. When he threw me in a pool, he had to retrieve me as I did not actually swim instinctively as was his theory.

Lexii: I know of a few hearing people (interpreters in training) that were required to wear 'maskers', which look like hearing aids but mask the sounds.

All of them went ape-shit and had anxiety attacks while driving. They did not realize how much they depend on hearing while driving, and suddenly everything is different.

I don't think there is anything you can do except to practice driving around the block in baby steps until you build up your confidence.

p.s. Like Jiro, I take my CI's out while riding my motorcycle for two reasons: 1) Can't fit them inside my helmet well, and 2) All I hear is wind noise, which is useless.

Try bicycling on public streets (wearing a rear view mirror on your helmet) and see if you can build up confidence. Let us know.

A bicycle??? Oh come on. GAD is no fun for the person having it, and my late wife had it; in fact, she had extreme anxiety and required regular therapy sessions in dealing with it. GAD varies by the individual and other than that, I do not know of any advice that would help with driving. Have you talked to a professional about it? Good luck.

Gotta goggle GAD.....as for driving, I used to love to drive everywhere....anywhere!....But, not anymore....dunno actually why, but the thought of driving on the freeway during rush hour makes me very panicky, even if 2 semis have me blocked in (on both sides), I freeze up.

Wish I could offer some helpful advise....as for me, I just bite the bullet, or call a cab/take the bus or whatever.

But she has GAD. That disorder would find another reason to be phobic even after the BAHA is back.

Better to treat the GAD and don't stray from the doctor's recommendations.

Yeah, I was aware of that: I just thought 2 things immediately: 1. converse till someone comes along. 2. If knowing that tidbit about safe driving, I guess I thought that there was the possibility she'd not go there....Now you're all here.....:ty:

I have an opposite problem and I solved it by switching my hearing aids off. I get jumpy if someone honked their horn. I get nervous hearing that loud noise as the semi truck passed me.

Lexii: I know of a few hearing people (interpreters in training) that were required to wear 'maskers', which look like hearing aids but mask the sounds.

All of them went ape-shit and had anxiety attacks while driving. They did not realize how much they depend on hearing while driving, and suddenly everything is different.

I don't think there is anything you can do except to practice driving around the block in baby steps until you build up your confidence.

p.s. Like Jiro, I take my CI's out while riding my motorcycle for two reasons: 1) Can't fit them inside my helmet well, and 2) All I hear is wind noise, which is useless.

Try bicycling on public streets (wearing a rear view mirror on your helmet) and see if you can build up confidence. Let us know.

Hey, thanks! It's kind of nice knowing I'm not the only one. It's just scary being used to being to use your hearing in most situations, and then being thrown into a situation where you really can't use it.

I guess I just have to take baby-steps into getting comfortable with it.

A bicycle??? Oh come on. GAD is no fun for the person having it, and my late wife had it; in fact, she had extreme anxiety and required regular therapy sessions in dealing with it. GAD varies by the individual and other than that, I do not know of any advice that would help with driving. Have you talked to a professional about it? Good luck.

Yeah, it can be frustrating. A lot of people don't get it and think I'm just being a baby... but it's just a really uncomfortable feeling and it's nice to just have support once in a while and not feel alone in it. I just moved to this area with my parents and I plan on seeing a therapist soon to see what kind of help I can get. I just never considered my "fear of driving" anxiety related until recently. And now, it makes perfect sense.

I have an opposite problem and I solved it by switching my hearing aids off. I get jumpy if someone honked their horn. I get nervous hearing that loud noise as the semi truck passed me.

What kind of hearing loss do you have? My problem is mostly because I'm deaf on my right side and when I'm driving with my parents/instructor and they're telling me what to do, I can't hear them at all and I get all panicky and confused...

What kind of hearing loss do you have? My problem is mostly because I'm deaf on my right side and when I'm driving with my parents/instructor and they're telling me what to do, I can't hear them at all and I get all panicky and confused...

Deaf in both ears due to ruebella before I was born (95 DB in left ear and 97 DB in right ear). I can hear many things with hearing aids. I just don't like hearing noises when driving because I find them distracting. I just leave my hearing aids switches off. That way I have total attention on my driving. Sorry, I can't help you as my problem is the opposite of yours.

I'm deaf in my right ear, and have a profound loss in my left ear.

I have a BAHA implant, that I LOVE, but my BAHA was stolen when I was temporarily using a Zales Jewelry case to hold it. I was in the wrong place, at the wrong time :( I was just about to start driving when this happened (half the reason I even got the implant was to make things like driving, less stressful). and unfortunately, I can't really afford to replace it anytime soon...

Well, I'm 22 and still don't drive. I can't even sit in the drivers seat without feeling completely helpless and panicky.

Now, I've noticed that if I'm not on the right side of a person, group, etc, I become immensely uncomfortable. I get almost a sense of anxiety or panic, because I don't know what I might miss out on and I don't feel in control. I have GAD (general anixety disorder), so I'm sure that doesn't help. This is not ideal when sitting in the drivers seat and the passengers are on my deaf side.

Has anyone else in a similar situation felt like this? (whether it's driving, or just being on the wrong side of someone). What do you do to help you feel better and get through it?

It happen to alot of deaf people. Not just driving, but anywhere. They often lose confidence and withdrawn, and just out of control with anxiety without their HAs, CIs, or in your case BAHA. It's like a security blanket in a way. Also, this is similar to what late-deafened are going through when they just lost their hearing.

Which is why I discourage parents from frantically find a spare everytime (even waterproof CIs) and help their child embrace it by using effective and accessible communication when they can't hear.

It happen to alot of deaf people. Not just driving, but anywhere. They often lose confidence and withdrawn, and just out of control with anxiety without their HAs, CIs, or in your case BAHA. It's like a security blanket in a way. Also, this is similar to what late-deafened are going through when they just lost their hearing.

Which is why I discourage parents from frantically find a spare everytime (even waterproof CIs) and help their child embrace it by using effective and accessible communication when they can't hear.

Yeah, I actually have never reallly used a hearing before... I've always had them but I rarely used them because I hated the way things sounded... but I got the BAHA to use for driving, school... I'm so pissed it got stolen and probably trashed.

give me a week, I'll have you trained and comfortable to drive. All I need is snow, dirt and bald tires on the car. :D:eek3:

ok ok ok -- kidding aside-

how long have this been going on? perhaps you need a nurturing environment for driving ?

Back