Driverless UVC Webcam- Logitech Vison Pro

purplecatty

Reaction score
I will be getting a new webcam, Logitech Vision Pro for MAC. It's a driverless webcam that I can use all platforms such as Apple, Linux, and Doz. No need driver software to be installed.

I checked several reviews on Logitech Vision Pro and it rated the best for all Video chat software on MAC and also Linux. Doz just work fine too even Doz 7 (On Doz, you can download and install software for Vision Pro to run "Avatars", "face Accessories" and "Fun Filter").

I just want to use Skype, Ekigna, and other Video chat software on Ubuntu 9.10 as well as experimenting running ZPC100, Z4 and P3 VP software on Wines ( :giggle: find out which would works on Nix' ).

My Logitech Fusion (look like Vision Pro except microphone on side) doesn't work with Linux except for older version (It partly works on Ubuntu 8.04). I've tried it on Kopete and it won't show video but vertical tilt scrolling in video window. So that's why I don't want to deal with Fusion's problem. Ubuntu 9.10 already have V4L2 driver pre-installed and it recognize Logitech Fusion plugged in USB but won't run it (type on terminal "lsusb" and it'll list what's plugged in.) I'm giving it to my kid to use as a video toys.

It may be expensive (cost around $130) but I won it it for $78 in Ebay. It's brand new. Worth the money tho.

Bottom line is that I WANTED IT SHUT UP AND RUN!!! :giggle:

If you are Ubuntu or Linux users, here's the website you may be interested in:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SkypeWebCams

also

Linux UVC driver & tools

This will help you to know if your Webcam is compatible with Linux or not or if you're trying to figure which right Webcam you want to purchase for it too.

I would recommend Driverless webcams. don't buy cheap, just get Logitech Vision Pro cuz it'll works with Skype and many more. Here's another website:

Driver-Free Webcams for Mac Windows 7 Vista Linux

I hope I helped :fingersx:

Catty :cool:

I just got Logitech Vision Pro today. While running XP, I just plug right in and it auto detect hardware and installed driver. After that, I navigated to "My Computer" and there is a video camera icon halfway down near bottom. I clicked it and video appear and it works great and video soo slick silky smooth and SEXY!! It looked bigger and wider! It works great. I decide to call my friend using ZPC100 and ran it. The video still sexy and smooth too. He answered my call and he was surprised and said your video look so sharp and smooth!! I told him I just got a new Logitech Vision Pro. NO grainy video or no lags!! After chatting then on the end, he said my video looks great!

After that I decide to reboot my laptop to Ubuntu (was dual booted) and I plugged the camera and use "guvcview" webcam viewer. I test ran it and it works!!!! NIIICE and plenty of options to configure!!

Logitech Vision Pro have auto focusing and It works both Windows and Linux. I decide to move camera very close to paper with prints. It automatically focus and the prints on paper is so sharp even it's 1 inch over the paper!! Nice!!

I tried Ekigna and Skype (for Linux), It works! Now that I can use either software.

Then I tried both ZPC100 and P3 under Wines. It won't run. I guess I am missing .dll files to get it working. I plan to download "Winestrick" files that are hacked for Wines. I hope it'll works.

I will keep you posted what was the result after installing "Winestrick" files.

Catty

Let me know how it goes. I used P3 under vmware, but it tends to have some freezing issues.

Let me know how it goes. I used P3 under vmware, but it tends to have some freezing issues.

Ok I just got home from Church dinner. I planned to install Windows XP then install couple of VP softwares and see how it goes.

I will keep you posted.

Catty

I just finally finished installing Windows XP under VirtualBox 3.0.8. Suddenly, I realized there is no "USB" listed in VB profile (previous version did have it). It used to have it year ago. Now, Virtualbox have newer version which is 3.0.12 and it fixed the problem from previous one. I uninstalled old version and installed new version. It won't run VB!?? (It was listed download for Karamic Kaola 9.10 which was the most recent Ubuntu version) So apparently there were a glitch or missing file in Ubuntu 9.10. I read the USB issue and it turn out that you need to add "lp" on Guest User's permission in Terminal. I couldn't figure it out cuz they were not specific. I was tired cuz it was very late at night. My mind is fried already so I had to stop and hold off till next day.

I will research to find how to get USB list on profile so thus enable me to use USB to plug in Webcam to test VP softwares.

I will keep fingers cross once I get it working.

Also I DO have VMware for Linux but I haven't figure out how to register in order to get it working. I was clicking along a bit too fast and missed the key "registration" file that I could have gotten it working. I will try VMware for Linux if I can't get VB's USB working. There are other Virtual machine for Linux but forgot what it was. I'll google and find it.

On the last note, what kind of Webcam did you use when you tested it with VMware on your PC??

Catty

I
Also I DO have VMware for Linux but I haven't figure out how to register in order to get it working. I was clicking along a bit too fast and missed the key "registration" file that I could have gotten it working.

I think you're referring to the serial number registration. You can re-enter serial number by clicking "Help" > "Enter Serial Number...". Registration is optional, but the serial number entry is not optional.

I will try VMware for Linux if I can't get VB's USB working. There are other Virtual machine for Linux but forgot what it was. I'll google and find it.

The only other ones that comes to mind are KVM and Xen. I think KVM is the newer of the two. I haven't tried those two yet.

On the last note, what kind of Webcam did you use when you tested it with VMware on your PC??

I used Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000.

The freezing issue that I would experience was partially resolved when I switched from NAT to Bridged Ethernet connection. It made using P3 semi-usable if I could tolerate the occasional freeze, double-time catchup, and 100% CPU utilization.

Really? I have no problem with P3 under vmware 3.0 for my Macbook so far.

Maybe your vmware's setting is not correct or not enough RAM.

Really? I have no problem with P3 under vmware 3.0 for my Macbook so far.

Maybe your vmware's setting is not correct or not enough RAM.

I was using Linux (Fedora 11) as my host OS, and Windows XP as my guest OS on VMware 6.5. I turned off memory page trimming, and allocated 1.5GB RAM to the VM. The rest of the configuration settings were more or less default. There may be other configuration settings that may have not been optimized for VRS usage.

I think you're referring to the serial number registration. You can re-enter serial number by clicking "Help" > "Enter Serial Number...". Registration is optional, but the serial number entry is not optional.

No serial number. It's just that you have to hack Linux's file in order to get USB profile to show up or become functionable.

The only other ones that comes to mind are KVM and Xen. I think KVM is the newer of the two. I haven't tried those two yet.

I used Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000.

The freezing issue that I would experience was partially resolved when I switched from NAT to Bridged Ethernet connection. It made using P3 semi-usable if I could tolerate the occasional freeze, double-time catchup, and 100% CPU utilization.

Logitech 9000 Pro just like Fusion, It use CPU utilization to operate camera. Vision Pro use its own processor built in and use less CPU utilization. That's why I noticed ZPC100 video was nearly lagless while Fusion was pretty laggy. Driverless hardware are easy on CPU and allow CPU to do other tasking, thus making programs run smoother and faster.

Catty

I just installed VMware 7.0 for Linux last night and I was tired. I google search to figure how to install it :idea:. It turned out that I just simply need to do lot of cd (change directory) navigation and Chmod +X VMwarexxxx.bundle then Sudo ./VWarexxxx.bundle in order to install. Bingo it installs! Now, I have fully functionable VMware w/ USB support.

I planned to install XP then test out VP softwares. Will let you know the result. :dizzy:

Catty

Yup :fruit: I installed ZPC100 and ran it. It finally worked!! But my video is laggy but not bad. It's typical of VMware to lags everything including softwares start running. It didn't lock up or anything plus no error message. I called my friends but they're not home. Shoot!!

VMware 7.0 is truly amazing that it skipped several Windows installation setups!! Nice! :cool:

Now that I can be able to use ZPC100 under Virtual Machine on Ubuntu! Better than nuthing.

I will wait for Z4 come out and see what will be the result of it.

On last thing, ZPC100 have settings like OpenGL or Direct Video rendering. I played with it. It was natively on OpenGL setting but when switching over to Direct rendering. It "crashed" but ZPC100 reset itself to OpenGL setting automatically as "safe" mode.. I haven't figure how to install Direct X 9.0 in VMware. Suggestion?

Yup :fruit: I installed ZPC100 and ran it. It finally worked!! But my video is laggy but not bad. It's typical of VMware to lags everything including softwares start running. It didn't lock up or anything plus no error message. I called my friends but they're not home. Shoot!!

VMware 7.0 is truly amazing that it skipped several Windows installation setups!! Nice! :cool:

Now that I can be able to use ZPC100 under Virtual Machine on Ubuntu! Better than nuthing.

I will wait for Z4 come out and see what will be the result of it.

On last thing, ZPC100 have settings like OpenGL or Direct Video rendering. I played with it. It was natively on OpenGL setting but when switching over to Direct rendering. It "crashed" but ZPC100 reset itself to OpenGL setting automatically as "safe" mode.. I haven't figure how to install Direct X 9.0 in VMware. Suggestion?

I guess it's Linux thing.

My webcam run smooth on the vmware fusion 3 for OSX.

I guess it's Linux thing.

My webcam run smooth on the vmware fusion 3 for OSX.

Blame it on my laptop's ATI Xpress 200m chipsets!! That's the one thing it barely handle OpenGL. That's why it was kinda laggy.. If I have Nvidia chipset, It would have been smooth as I wished for.

I did use HOVRS TRS service using VMware 4 on my Tuxbox which had ABIT AV8 board with Nvidia chipset. It ran effortlessly and Windows in VMware ran pretty quickly. Now that ABIT AV8 board died and ABIT went out of business. I replaced it with $5 AMD64 motherboard (formerly Emachine mobo) and installed it. It works but sad thing is it also have ATI Xpress 200 chipset too!! This thing really sucky!!

My next laptop would be Nvidia chipset base!!!!!

Catty

Blame it on my laptop's ATI Xpress 200m chipsets!! That's the one thing it barely handle OpenGL. That's why it was kinda laggy.. If I have Nvidia chipset, It would have been smooth as I wished for.

I did use HOVRS TRS service using VMware 4 on my Tuxbox which had ABIT AV8 board with Nvidia chipset. It ran effortlessly and Windows in VMware ran pretty quickly. Now that ABIT AV8 board died and ABIT went out of business. I replaced it with $5 AMD64 motherboard (formerly Emachine mobo) and installed it. It works but sad thing is it also have ATI Xpress 200 chipset too!! This thing really sucky!!

Catty

Hmm, My Macbook uses Intel GMA X3100. I disabled 3D graphics (DX9 c and OpenGL 2.1) from Vmware because I don't need it.

Catty

You wouldn't be happy if you have GeForce 7100 or 8200, they are onbroard graphic card.

You wouldn't be happy if you have GeForce 7100 or 8200, they are onbroard graphic card.

Yup, I am aware of it. As long as it can configured in BIOS to expand up to 1GB shared video.

I'm thinking about getting this Dual Core laptop from Darter Co that customize laptop. It use Intel X4500HD Graphic chipset. This lappy system memory can upgraded to 8GB maximum.

It's a 64 bits Linux Based laptop but can be dual booting with Windows 7 anyway.

It have built in 2mp UVC Webcam that works with Linux.

Darter Ultra - Ubuntu Linux Laptop - 12.1 inch - system76, Inc.

Catty

Back