Drinking/Smoking effects of hearing?

I haven't smoked since junior year in high school so I can't say about that part of it. However, I would say anything that dries out the body could have an effect on your hearing. In my experience, if I eat too much soup during the week it affects it(sodium in broth), sodium makes you retain water. And, I think it has to do with other factors like the weather as well. If it is high moisture in the air, I don't hear so good(dunno whether it's the aid or the ear).

It's not an easy thing to pin point.

I have heard tobacco is bad for hearing. Alcohol in moderation might help.

I had a friend who died from alcoholism. He was going deaf too. I dont know if its related but it wouldnt be surprising if it was.

Drinking may make you think you can hear better. Just like drinking makes people think they dance better on the dance floor.

In actuality, Drinking impares your judgement. So you just think you can hear better or do better.

drinking improves my ability to speak several foreign languages! Heck I bet if I drink enough I bet I could invent a brand new language!!! :D

Seriously though, some are more susceptible than others to changes in their body chemistry. I would expect hearing to be affected by drinking and smoking. Personally, my hearing remains stable or decreases a tiny bit with drinking. However, if I have a migraine my hearing will decrease. The longer the migraine goes, the worse my hearing gets. and when the migraine goes away, it takes a few days for my hearing to return to "normal". However for me, after a several month long migraines my hearing never fully recovered. This has happened often enough now that I no longer have any usable hearing left.

The hearing center is a very sensitive organ. If you are doing something that reduces your hearing, I suggest you avoid doing that.

drinking improves my ability to speak several foreign languages! Heck I bet if I drink enough I bet I could invent a brand new language!!! :D

Seriously though, some are more susceptible than others to changes in their body chemistry. I would expect hearing to be affected by drinking and smoking. Personally, my hearing remains stable or decreases a tiny bit with drinking. However, if I have a migraine my hearing will decrease. The longer the migraine goes, the worse my hearing gets. and when the migraine goes away, it takes a few days for my hearing to return to "normal". However for me, after a several month long migraines my hearing never fully recovered. This has happened often enough now that I no longer have any usable hearing left.

The hearing center is a very sensitive organ. If you are doing something that reduces your hearing, I suggest you avoid doing that.

What if you have no hearing :p

What if you have no hearing :p

Then I'm afraid there is something terribly wrong with you and you MUST be fixed. It's the only way really. Very regrettable but totally unavoidable. Please schedule yourself for a new brain implant. It's the only way, really. :giggle:

It's called... a hearing implant! :lol:

Just letting people know, aspirin and vicodin can damage hearing in large doses.

whenever I got drunk I thought I was hearing things.. turned out it was all in my head. I don't drink anymore.. hate alcohol now.

I like the theory that when we drink, we are impaired. So, we believe we can do things better.

Just like how a drunk thinks they can sing better to karaoke, LOL.

I like the theory that when we drink, we are impaired. So, we believe we can do things better.

Just like how a drunk thinks they can sing better to karaoke, LOL.

Alcohol changes our perceptions. And usually not for the better!:lol:

Just letting people know, aspirin and vicodin can damage hearing in large doses.

Yes, it can. It has been known for many, many years that aspirin causes tinnitis in susceptible people. And just ask Rush Limbaugh about hearing loss and Vicodin use!:P

Back