Drinking one can of regular soda a day can makes you gain weight

Seattle.guy

Reaction score
MILWAUKEE - Americans have sipped their way to fatness by drinking far more soda and other sugary drinks over the last four decades, a new scientific review concludes.

An extra can of soda a day can pile on 15 pounds (7 kilograms) in a single year, and the evidence strongly suggests that this sort of increased consumption is a key reason that more people have gained weight, the researchers say.

"We tried to look at the big picture rather than individual studies," and it clearly justifies public health efforts to limit sugar-sweetened beverages, said Dr. Frank Hu, who led the report published Tuesday in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

He and others at the Harvard School of Public Health reviewed 40 years of nutrition studies that met strict standards for relevance and scientific muster. The work was funded by ongoing grants to his lab from the federal government and the American Heart Association.

Soft drink trends have marched lock-step with the growing obesity epidemic, but industry groups have long fought efforts to say one directly caused the other. Not all studies conclude that beverages are at fault, and the new analysis ignored some that would have discounted such a link, the American Beverage Association said in a statement issued in response to the study.

"Blaming one specific product or ingredient as the root cause of obesity defies common sense. Instead, there are many contributing factors, including regular physical activity," the statement says.

However, Dr. David Ludwig, director of the obesity program at Children's Hospital in Boston and a longtime advocate of curbs on soda, said blaming other factors misses the point.

"Could you imagine somebody saying we should ignore the contribution of hypertension to heart attack because there are many causes? It's ludicrous. Yet this argument resurfaces with regard to obesity," Ludwig said.

When it comes to beverage trends and obesity, "it's like documenting the force of gravity," he said. "There's an overwhelmingly strong case to be made for a causal relationship."

About one-third of all carbohydrate calories in the American diet come from added sweeteners, and beverages account for about half of this amount, the new report says.

Unlike other carbohydrates, the main sweetener in beverages — high-fructose corn syrup — does not spur production of insulin to make the body "process" calories. It also does not spur leptin, a substance that helps moderate appetite. For these reasons, beverages are not as satisfying as foods containing similar amounts of calories and fly under the radar of the body's normal weight-regulating mechanisms, many nutrition experts say.

The 30 studies included in the new review are of different types — experiments where beverages were curtailed or modified, studies of cross-sections of the population. While all do not show harm, they collectively suggest that soda and sugary drinks "should be discouraged," the authors write.

Federal dietary guidelines recommend beverages without added sugars, and the World Health Organization advises that added sugars should provide no more than 10 percent of total calories.

Increasingly, sugary drinks are being restricted in U.S. schools. In May, top beverage distributors agreed to stop selling non-diet sodas in certain schools and restricted sales in certain settings where young children buy them.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14247852/

They *just* figured out that NOW?

H.....a!

Nobody read the damn can? ALL WAY AROUND? There is a TINY THING called "nurtritional facts"...

Take Dr Pepper for example...
for 8 fl oz (that is an alumnium can)
35mg of sodium
100calories
(they don't state their sugars intake... hmm!)

Or MountainDew:
Calories: 110
Sodium: a whooping 50mg
Carbs: (you know those things that Atkins FEAR?) 31 GRAM (not MG!)
Sugars: 31 grams

or 7up... (all natural they said)
FOR one whole (those that you buy from vending machines) bottle: 240 cal! (if you want to keep 100 calories, just drink one cup, that is it. )
Soidium: 65mg
Carb: 65grams
Sugar: 62grams

Scary, eh?

I believe it is.... I drink the bottles of water or real fruit of limes mixed with water instead to keep my weight stays same. (I am slim, well fed and physical fit)

gnarlydorkette said:
They *just* figured out that NOW?

H.....a!

Nobody read the damn can? ALL WAY AROUND? There is a TINY THING called "nurtritional facts"...

Take Dr Pepper for example...
for 8 fl oz (that is an alumnium can)
35mg of sodium
100calories
(they don't state their sugars intake... hmm!)

Or MountainDew:
Calories: 110
Sodium: a whooping 50mg
Carbs: (you know those things that Atkins FEAR?) 31 GRAM (not MG!)
Sugars: 31 grams

or 7up... (all natural they said)
FOR one whole (those that you buy from vending machines) bottle: 240 cal! (if you want to keep 100 calories, just drink one cup, that is it. )
Soidium: 65mg
Carb: 65grams
Sugar: 62grams

Scary, eh?

This is why I drink diet soda!

Moondancer said:
I believe it is.... I drink the bottles of water or real fruit of limes mixed with water instead to keep my weight stays same. (I am slim and well fed and psyhical fit)

I do the same thing with fruit, usually limes or lemon in my water when im tired of the regular taste of water.

Actually, all calories of regular soda pop naturally came from sugar!! I am serious!

Moondancer said:
I believe it is.... I drink the bottles of water or real fruit of limes mixed with water instead to keep my weight stays same. (I am slim, well fed and physical fit)

Honestly, I don't drink soda pop that much, like I said one or two cans of regular soda pop a week. I normally drink bottles of water, iced tea, and orange juice. I work out lot and I'm pretty fit...

It is not only the soda pop that makes you gain weights. There are so many reason or factors as to why you would be able to gain weight. It's only about how your body process and retains the nutritional stuffs.

Seattle.guy said:
Actually, all calories of regular soda pop naturally came from sugar!! I am serious!

I know that from a very long time ago when I was little girl. My parents never buy the sodas except ginger ale for only who get sick that helps our tummy ache to relieved. I thanked them for not to have those kind of sodas for my bros or sis to be hyperacted with a lot of sugars in our bodies or one of us will become diebatics. None of us have it which is a good thing.

Seattle.guy said:
Honestly, I don't drink soda pop that much, like I said one or two cans of regular soda pop a week. I normally drink bottles of water, iced tea, and orange juice. I work out lot and I'm pretty fit...

It would be fun to workout together heh?

Maybe yall notice this or not...

Myself, I am trying to cut back on the sugar intakes (meaning: no ice-cream, no sodas, et cetera) so I got some lemonade, limeade from a grocery store... and it is EXPENSIVE!
Mind you, I am sort of picky when it comes to juices. I absolutely hate apple juice, orange juice-- ehhh... i can handle orange juice if adding club soda. (Well, right now orange juice is expensive as usual).... but I think psychologically I am addicted to carboated drinks. :-/

But those flavored drinks that has very minimal levels of sugars and whatnot-- are like 4$ for a small bottle... I feel very :eek2: and noticed that if I get diet sodas-- 12packs boxes, then it will cost me the same! so... hmm, which is more bang for my buck?

For me, money-wise, getting sodas is cheaper than getting flavored drinks such as limeade and lemonade. Even if I buy pure limeade and mix it with club-soda-- still expensive. 4$ for limeade juice, then 2$ for clubsoda (the big size).

So maybe people just buy sodas because it is the cheapest flavored drink they can have in their houses??
or it is just an addiction for all of us because we grew up with sodas.

(my mother's generation-- she only had one bottle of Cola-Coca per week to be shared with her parents and a brother!!! so that is different today... for worst.)

This is why I drink diet soda!
I dislike having to bring this up, but diet sodas are worse than regular soda because of the very toxic sugar substitute 'aspartame', which is implemented into just about every processed and packaged food that declares 'no added sugar', 'sugar free' or 'diet' on the label. Aspartame, according to the Mercola website, is by far the most dangerous substance on the market that is added to food.

Remember, your health comes first. Please do not be offended that I chose to provide this information.

Two articles from Mercola.com if you're interested: Aspartame#1 and Aspartame#2

well i am still addict to pepsi every day but drink plenty of water. i don't see problem to my health yet; however, my right arm hurts. Nothing relates to my arm ok.

i used to drink ALOT[B of Dr.Pepper.. i drank maybe 12 can a day.. somehow i meet Fly Free she make a good tea that i wouldn't think that i woudln't drink at the all but somehow Tea is my favorite now... I would drink tea more than 12 can a day.. that help me to stay away from any of soda but Dr. Pepper is still my favorite if i go out to eat or any of events i would grab one.

Cold Brewed Ice Tea with 1 cup of sugar

Dr Pepper with alot of sugar i can't find the result about it.. but i believe it's more than 1 cup of sugar.

I dislike having to bring this up, but diet sodas are worse than regular soda because of the very toxic sugar substitute 'aspartame', which is implemented into just about every processed and packaged food that declares 'no added sugar', 'sugar free' or 'diet' on the label. Aspartame, according to the Mercola website, is by far the most dangerous substance on the market that is added to food.

Remember, your health comes first. Please do not be offended that I chose to provide this information.

Two articles from Mercola.com if you're interested: Aspartame#1 and Aspartame#2

this only apply to the high risk individuals

High-Risk Individuals

These groups include pregnant and lactating women, young children, older persons, those at risk for phenylketonuria (PKU), the relatives of aspartame reactors (see above), and patients with liver disease, iron-deficiency anemia, kidney impairment, migraine, diabetes, hypoglycemia, and hypothyroidism.

i used to drink diet coke for years but changed to flavored water now and have been drinking since the beginning of the year. I do drink diet coke once in a while.

today show did a show on the aspartame and said it is safe for every day use BUT for those who are high risks SHOULDNT take this like i quoted on that above. Look at me? I am fine? if that is the case I wuld be dead long time ago? jeez.

Back