Drawing Blood Will Help Stop Drunk Driving, Police Say

No, this is a terrible idea. Imagine what would happen if the suspect starts to struggle when the police officer is trying to insert the needle.

Dang.
From the article it says "They're making quick progress, Watson said. Their training will be complete after they have logged 75 successful blood draws."

Eh? Out of how many attempts on how many people? Just one guy? :P

"Once they're back on patrol, they will draw blood of any suspected drunk driver who refuses a breath test. They'll use force if they need to, such as getting help from another officer to pin down a suspect and potentially strap them down, Watson said."

And call Dick Cheney to waterboard the suspected driver while they are at it... :P

In most states, refusing to take a breath test results in automatic revocation of a driving license, and in those states with the law, the vampire squads are not necessary.

If someone is suspected drinking and driving. Perhaps they need to have them arrested on probable cause, and transported to a medical facility to do so.

But what makes me wonder about this.. It would take time to do that..

I think about when a person drinks.. the blood alcohol rises in time.. before it lowers. Another word.. If you had a beer and took off before the affect... and had to wait for a medical profession to do the test. The blood alcohol will be higher than what it was, at the time of when the person was driving.

I see it both ways. Since it takes time for the alcohol to take affect.

Just something I have thought about during this discussion.

why the drunk still wanna drive? don't they know it is dangerous?.
clear.gif

Alcohol impairs people's judgment. So they believe that they are capable of driving, when in fact they are not.

I reread what I had previously said, being gone for a few days and, with that being said, I still stand by what I stated. If a person is drunk, they have every right to be worried: Deaf, blind or wasted. The police won't do it at random on people, there has to be a reasonable doubt. Since I don't drink, I know they won't do this to me.

Um...

I get stopped a lot because the police think I am drunk and I don't even drive! It's the only reason why I carry a CNIB card on me, so that if I run into trouble with the RCMP, I just flash them the CNIB card and I would be let go on my way.

I wasn't thinking of drunk drivers-- but rather the fact blind and deaf people get mistaken as drunk people. Last thing I want is someone to be poking needles into me without an interpreter. Call it over-reacting, but police authorities have a tendency to skip steps if they are not clearly defined or bypass regulations if there are no check-and-balance in place.

But the big differance here is you don't drive. I wouldn't want them to use this method on padestrians. Just people who smell of drink. You don't smell of drink do you?
I'd want them to do the other tests first to determine that they were definately overlimit. After that if they are over limit and they are behind a wheel (as apposed to being on foot) I'm sorry but I don't have any sympathy.

I don't drink and I don't drive due to my visual impairment. I could drink beer, but I want to keep the blood-alcohol level to the bare minimum.

Nevertheless, needles scare me. I'd prefer to use the technology used in the 23rd century (Star Trek: The Next Generation or Star Trek: Voyager, anyone?).

But the big differance here is you don't drive. I wouldn't want them to use this method on padestrians. Just people who smell of drink. You don't smell of drink do you?
I'd want them to do the other tests first to determine that they were definately overlimit. After that if they are over limit and they are behind a wheel (as apposed to being on foot) I'm sorry but I don't have any sympathy.

I have been booked. I did the sobriety test. Breath test and all. I don't mind that, but I don't want the blood test to be part of their arsenal. They do this to university students that appear to be "wobbly" after 8PM as well to cut down on public intoxication.

I don't drink, but they do it anyway since many people don't reek of alcohol, but get caught for public drinking or DUI once they have to do the breath test or sobriety test.

Dang.
From the article it says "They're making quick progress, Watson said. Their training will be complete after they have logged 75 successful blood draws."Eh? Out of how many attempts on how many people? Just one guy? :P

"Once they're back on patrol, they will draw blood of any suspected drunk driver who refuses a breath test. They'll use force if they need to, such as getting help from another officer to pin down a suspect and potentially strap them down, Watson said."And call Dick Cheney to waterboard the suspected driver while they are at it... :P

In most states, refusing to take a breath test results in automatic revocation of a driving license, and in those states with the law, the vampire squads are not necessary.

They are testing on people that are not freaking out, fighting, or being all around aggressive.

Testing on 75 calm and still people does not consitiute as good training. It's good training for lab technicians in a hospital.

Scenario:

If a cop came up to me with a needle I'm more than likely going to be fighting to get away, if that is the case what is to say that he will suceed on the first poke??????????

If I come away with a bloody and bruised arm in the process all hell will break loose.

Honestly in my opinion this is a very bad idea.

They are testing on people that are not freaking out, fighting, or being all around aggressive.

Testing on 75 calm and still people does not consitiute as good training. It's good training for lab technicians in a hospital.

Scenario:

If a cop came up to me with a needle I'm more than likely going to be fighting to get away, if that is the case what is to say that he will suceed on the first poke??????????

If I come away with a bloody and bruised arm in the process all hell will break loose.

Honestly in my opinion this is a very bad idea.

That's only if you refuse a breathalyzer test. I strongly agree with you.

I think this whole thing is a bad idea. I would never want a police officer sticking a needle in my arm. As far as Dreama was asking about "you don't smell of drink, do you?" Actually, you can. If you've even spilled any onto your clothes, yes. And on your breath as well.

If someone is suspected drinking and driving. Perhaps they need to have them arrested on probable cause, and transported to a medical facility to do so.

But what makes me wonder about this.. It would take time to do that..

I think about when a person drinks.. the blood alcohol rises in time.. before it lowers. Another word.. If you had a beer and took off before the affect... and had to wait for a medical profession to do the test. The blood alcohol will be higher than what it was, at the time of when the person was driving.

I see it both ways. Since it takes time for the alcohol to take affect.

Just something I have thought about during this discussion.

probably worked because no one wants it. It scares them to much that they would think twice about drinking and driving ("I don't want to drive, those crazy polices might draw blood from me!!!") but I can see many lawsuits over it too.

I have been booked. I did the sobriety test. Breath test and all. I don't mind that, but I don't want the blood test to be part of their arsenal. They do this to university students that appear to be "wobbly" after 8PM as well to cut down on public intoxication.

I don't drink, but they do it anyway since many people don't reek of alcohol, but get caught for public drinking or DUI once they have to do the breath test or sobriety test.

No, they shouldn't do it to pedestrians. Only to drivers who are clearly drunk and have been proven to be drunk first.

Back