Double Standards? Oralism And Asl?

You will never be truly literate without BI BI lanuguage that includes ASL/SE as well.

If this statement where true, then there would not be the ongoing literacy issues for deaf children.

Trying to make this simply a "bi-bi" fix, is not taking a real look at what is going on.

*sigh*

loml said:
If this statement where true, then there would not be the ongoing literacy issues for deaf children.

Trying to make this simply a "bi-bi" fix, is not taking a real look at what is going on.

*sigh*
So you're suggesting that being monolingual (knowing only one language) is better?

Sweetmind, HOW am I being audist? I'm just saying that having oral skills is a useful thing.
Braille is being replaced by new ways of recieveing information.
Actually, Braille is akin to ASL in that it's "unfashionable" but they've found that blind and low vision kids who are literate in Braille are better educated and have a better chance of getting a job.

deafdyke said:
Sweetmind, HOW am I being audist? I'm just saying that having oral skills is a useful thing.
Actually, Braille is akin to ASL in that it's "unfashionable" but they've found that blind and low vision kids who are literate in Braille are better educated and have a better chance of getting a job.

I'm surprised Braille would be seen as "unfashionable". The only thing I would imagine somebody might find difficult would be the extra weight of books because of the heaviness of the paper, but it seems to me that aside from that, Braille could be very convenient.

I mean, you can't listen to music and read at the same time very effectively with an audio book! ;)

Creating Write

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
American Sign Language =====================

if some people don't understand what is means words and same as concise both match on as american sign language,

That is strange different on english not same bit mistake learn I try sugestion focus on not point to one sentence example "get off means concise. on appropriate to make sure right understand,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.aslpro.com doesn't have dictionary point to concise add idiom is better spelling on 3 words (concise) example: over and over definition again and again reading, or english, example understand more makes sure honest, don't make misconception confuse reading and fast not clear understand what is means words concise different not asl why more add new words definition is good understand better clear reading and sentence.

Thank Travis :dunno:

Deaf Images said:
Exactly.. it has been stressful reading lips...and also frustrating when I chose ASL and teachers get MAD and slapped a wooden ruler on my hands to make their stupid point.

:mad:

Yes I agree with you... I was HOH until few yrs ago... I use ASL more than readlip all my life.. it is more stressful trying to readlip hearing people... My parents were deaf... so ASL was my first langauge.. it is more comfortable than trying to understand what I read lips.... for example: readlip fifteen and fifty it is confusing... they look same when i readlip...

Thanks!!
SxyPorkie

In USA about 80 % of deafies using ASL more than Oral deaf... In end most of oral deafies will learn to use ASL once they meet ASL deafies and they would feel comfortable using ASL..

Thanks!!
SxyPorkie :ugh2:

Back