Doomsday Church: Still Open For Business

Status
Not open for further replies.
Live and learn, young man, live and learn. ;)

Haha, I have been. I just blow in the direction the existing evidence I've seen points me, lol.

I doubt you will shatter his world.

I means... Hinduism and Native American belief systems are pretty flexible.

We'll see. I planted the seeds, I want to see what they'll grow into now. :D

Check your inbox, I wrote you a message with a reading suggestion. Hopefully you'll enjoy it! (Beware - this may end up obliterating your "spiritual universe" worldview, depending on how you define "spiritual". But if that's not how reality really is, then that's okay!)

It will be a while before I get to this. Might have to wait until December.

I doubt it will change my basic stance as the rational view only takes into consideration that which it knows. I am constantly aware of that which I do NOT know.

Oh, pft. This just sounds like moral relativism run amok. Obviously there are circumstantial caveats with anything, but you can still accurately say "In general, this is the right answer" to something, and applying that to others isn't a problem. If I say that "it is better to not harm someone than it is to harm them", I'm sure I can get 10 people instantly warning that I'm trying to be a radical pacifist and prevent retribution against criminals and all sorts of other things.

"Moral relativism" is a bit chaotic because it does not recognize a central fact of reality. Reality is a combination of order and chaos. Life achieves order through chaotic action. Philosophers and theologians (both authoritarian by nature) attempt to enforce order on all chaotic behavior equally. In other words they attempt to tell "Everyone how each individual should act."

Authoritarians do not recognize the natural seeking of balance and attempt to enforce balance in the mistaken belief that ALL people will "get out of line" and "destroy all that's good in society" if it is not controlled." They tend to see every nonconformist action as "criminal."

Every so often someone is going to come along who is so destructive (a criminal) to order that they threaten to destroy (or seriously inhibit) it. By the nature of chaotic action someone, or some group, will happen to oppose them by whatever means necessary. Order will be restored.

Intelligent authority will nurture chaos and chaos will maintain order.

What you (normally) won't see, except in certain hyper-relativistic-liberal circles, is someone saying "You can't say that, cultures in the Middle East don't agree that not harming someone is better than harming them, so you're being insensitive and trying to steamroll their society with your own selfish notion of right and wrong!" The fact of the matter is that anyone claiming that is simply wrong. With moral relativism of that sort, the only "sin" that can any further exist is one - hypocrisy. And when you come to the conclusion that professing one thing and doing another is the only moral truth, then you've already retreated from relativism, because you've used relativism to espouse a moral absolute.

You are trying to combat ignorant people with equal ignorance and it comes out sounding soooo ---Ignorant.

You should never attempt to bring intelligent conversation to an idiot. They will simply drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

In order to think this way you have to believe that words and reality have equal, or the same, identities -- And they do not. Words are only maps that help you navigate reality. They are not THE reality. The two should NEVER be confused.

I doubt you will shatter his world.

I means... Hinduism and Native American belief systems are pretty flexible.

Also Buddhism and Zen.

Gotta love Hinduism as an alternate form of understanding. The teaching of truth, beauty, reality, etc., through the use of myth and mythology. Probably the most dramatic form of nonlogical, but effective, ways of understanding that exists today.

Haha, I have been. I just blow in the direction the existing evidence I've seen points me, lol.

We'll see. I planted the seeds, I want to see what they'll grow into now. :D

But the evidence is inconclusive, unfinished, and depends on assumptions some of us do not adhere to.

That last sentence is sooooo Christian of you. :laugh2:

It will be a while before I get to this. Might have to wait until December.

I doubt it will change my basic stance as the rational view only takes into consideration that which it knows. I am constantly aware of that which I do NOT know.

"Moral relativism" is a bit chaotic because it does not recognize a central fact of reality. Reality is a combination of order and chaos. Life achieves order through chaotic action. Philosophers and theologians (both authoritarian by nature) attempt to enforce order on all chaotic behavior equally. In other words they attempt to tell "Everyone how each individual should act."

Authoritarians do not recognize the natural seeking of balance and attempt to enforce balance in the mistaken belief that ALL people will "get out of line" and "destroy all that's good in society" if it is not controlled." They tend to see every nonconformist action as "criminal."

Every so often someone is going to come along who is so destructive (a criminal) to order that they threaten to destroy (or seriously inhibit) it. By the nature of chaotic action someone, or some group, will happen to oppose them by whatever means necessary. Order will be restored.

Intelligent authority will nurture chaos and chaos will maintain order.

You are trying to combat ignorant people with equal ignorance and it comes out sounding soooo ---Ignorant.

You should never attempt to bring intelligent conversation to an idiot. They will simply drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

In order to think this way you have to believe that words and reality have equal, or the same, identities -- And they do not. Words are only maps that help you navigate reality. They are not THE reality. The two should NEVER be confused.

Also Buddhism and Zen.

Gotta love Hinduism as an alternate form of understanding. The teaching of truth, beauty, reality, etc., through the use of myth and mythology. Probably the most dramatic form of nonlogical, but effective, ways of understanding that exists today.

But the evidence is inconclusive, unfinished, and depends on assumptions some of us do not adhere to.

That last sentence is sooooo Christian of you. :laugh2:

I use a theory of counseling for some of my clients that was based on the mindfulness principle of Zen. Work really well for specific clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back