Don't you hate it when hearies think we are spoiled brats?

LOL
particuraly those Italian Catholics

and that's on a peaceful day..

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8viZmEpiWo[/URL]

Fuzzy

Really??? Do Polish Catholic behave differently? A former farmer with a concrete business could tell you about the devil, "Oh, he's theeee DEEEVIIILLLL!" His wife, on the other hand, yeah...

Italians are hot hot hot blooded :naughty: Polish - blah, meh.... not so much...
Give me an Italian any day, yeah !!!

Fuzzy

Possibly from being in a Catholic Church? Those are some of the most somber, inexpressive people you'll see/hear. (Before anyone gets offended, I'm speaking as an experienced, former-Catholic.)

As a former Catholic myself, I can honestly say, you've never seen a Boston Catholic.

Never been called a spoiled brat by a hearing person. I feel the amount of "hearing bashing" threads is getting a lil ridiculous lately. I get there are many hearing people who are very ignorant towards us but not ALL hearing people are like that. Also you obviously don't get out much if you think hearing people aren't expressive. LOL I'm italian and I don't think I've ever seen my italian friends and fam talk without their hands and crazy facial expressions...lol

Whoever "They" is...you need to address that directly with them if they're calling you spoiled.

Hmm I never thought of Deaf as spoiled. I wonder where that came from. I never heard of that before.
And yes, being Italian I know for sure that we use our hands, body movements and facial expressions A LOT, sort of like an Italian sign language that also has loud yelling!

I'm going to take a guess and say that it's because the only time hearies behave so animatedly is when they're having a hissy fit about something and that's what Deaf body language looked like to that one person? I've never heard of someone saying Deafies are spoiled. I usually hear the opposite: "Oh, poor little deafie, how do you survive out there on your own?" :ugh:

What an ignorant thing to think!

At the risk of :locked:, it is a-F*-mazing about her behavior. She should know that heading up an organization means being responsible for the organization's actions. I rest What's case. I will NOT go see the video of Mrs. HillBill banging on the table, because it just might be enough for me to give up, pack my stuff into a storage facility at least a hundred miles from any major city, and escape Houston TOMORROW. Uh-uh...

I see the worse of it in public at times, average behavior coming from white middle class people who have NO CLUE WHAT THE HELL'S GOING ON, don't bother to read ANYTHING about what they're looking to buy, (GSP, tent, heart rate monitors, I don't give a F* what), put the products back on the wrong peg or don't even try to put it back on the peg right. What gets my goat tied and sent to the center of the earth is the people don't even write the item name or number down so that I can VERIFY that we actually carry it. And they drive 45 miles to find out I don't have it BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T CALL TO MAKE DAMN SURE! I actually have to teach them how to shop! THE WORSE are people from Europe. OMFG... I'm on the floor, and customer service has it EVEN worse! People return wore out 8-year-old shoes that has seen probably 1,000 miles if not more, a clothing item that is the wrong size, supposedly, because they lost or gained weight, EVEN parents who brought back clothes bought a year before because they were now too small on the child!

Grown children having children!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are F* doomed!!!

GD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:run: :run: :run: :run: :run:

:laugh2:....get it out!

I know. I know hearies don't really show anger with big facial and body gestures, just show it mostly in face (minimal) but more with voices.

You clearly haven't had much interaction with either Hispanics or Italians.....

Laura

As a former Catholic myself, I can honestly say, you've never seen a Boston Catholic.

JFK was a Boston Catholic and he was no wallflower! And both of his brother Teddy and Bobby where not shy either . Teddy was not called the lion of the senate for no reason. Isn't crazy how some people made blanket statements about the group of people. .

I have noticed that hearies tend to call deafies spoiled brat because when we are upset, we tend to be very expressive with our facial and body gestures, but that does not mean we are spoiled brats!!!!

GRRRR!!

Why do they think like that????

I've never come across this...I attended a deaf school with deaf and hearing students and never heard of this gripe...I remember once instance, an interpreter was talking to someone in the hall and a young man leaned over to read something against the wall. She must have felt he was too close and she screamed at him and stopped everyone....deaf and hearing...in their tracks. I remember how she embarrased this poor guy over what most people consider no big deal, especially in a crowded hallway. I don't recall anyone calling her spoiled but I had a choice word for her and it started with a "b..."

Laura

Darn!!! See, if we gave a Deaf/deaf cat catnip, that will not be enough. They want more and more catnips. We don't call cats spoiled brat or do we?

So if a deaf/Deaf person got upset, we are called spoiled brats? Hey, we are humans just like everyone else.

I would not get so upset over this , I think this whole thing is being blown out of proportion. I been HOH my whole life and I have NEVER been called a spoiled brat for being HOH and the only time I called anyone a spoiled brat was when I was talking about my nieces that where acting like spoiled brats and they are not deaf or HOH and just brats.

I would not get so upset over this , I think this whole thing is being blown out of proportion. I been HOH my whole life and I have NEVER been called a spoiled brat for being HOH and the only time I called anyone a spoiled brat was when I was talking about my nieces that where acting like spoiled brats and they are not deaf or HOH and just brats.

+1 although when I was little, I was called a spoiled brat but it had nothing to do my hearing loss. I was the youngest.....:D

Laura

My daughter, who is hearing, has been called a spoiled brat because after being told constantly that she is beautiful, her ego grew to the size of Manhatten. Her attitude does definitely warrant being called a "spoiled brat".

Deaf people have been called names from low functioning, stupid, deaf and dumb, mute, and so forth but spoiled brat is definitely a new and strange term for deaf people. With all the negative labels on us, why not just add another one?

My daughter, who is hearing, has been called a spoiled brat because after being told constantly that she is beautiful, her ego grew to the size of Manhatten. Her attitude does definitely warrant being called a "spoiled brat".

Deaf people have been called names from low functioning, stupid, deaf and dumb, mute, and so forth but spoiled brat is definitely a new and strange term for deaf people. With all the negative labels on us, why not just add another one?

My 2 sisters and ex brother called me deafie when I was a little girl . I would rather been called a spoil brat than deafie. And one of my sister was younger than me.

I have been hearing most of my life until here recently but I have never call a deaf person a spoiled brat! sorry "hearies" as you call them can be ignorant when they don't understand.

Fuzzy, you can't get more expressive than that.

OP, I'm wondering were this comes from? Were did someone say this to you?

I've never heard it. I'd like an example.

lolololol:giggle:
first of all - I meant - WHAT do you guys do :giggle:
second - really ! holey moley :giggle:

Fuzzy

My 2 sisters and ex brother called me deafie when I was a little girl . I would rather been called a spoil brat than deafie. And one of my sister was younger than me.

When I was little my brother called me "plastic ears." Never bothered me; I could remove my hearing aids but he was stuck with freckles.....:D

Laura

lolololol:giggle:
first of all - I meant - WHAT do you guys do :giggle:
second - really ! holey moley :giggle:

Fuzzy

People give it to you straight, you would have no problem figuring out there was animosity. They can be very expressive with body language, facial features and gestures.

OP, the facial features of someone who uses sign is very expressive, but that is because it is used to add depth to the language. Still, if you look closely, hearing people are also very expressive, but not as exaggerated because they don't use it for emphasis(at least not consciously).

Back