Don't You Ever...

Weirdo

Reaction score
wish that there's a radio in your car or stereo at your home with closed caption?

I love listening to music and I can hear the music, but I can't understand what they're saying. You know? I'm hard of hearing. I just wish someone wld invent the radio with closed caption.

Don't you ever wish the same if you're totally deaf but like to listen to it anyway, you know, feel the beats?

No... I wouldn't wish it. It's like watching a movie in the car while driving. You could get in an accident. :crazy:

Perhaps they could've develop a pair of glasses that has captions crawling across the the lens. That way, you can still see the road and at same time reading the lyrics. ;)

But then again, it's probably too distracting anyway.... ^^;;

im hearing, and good friend/work buddy with a guy whos HoH, hes like you wierdo, he can hear the music, and feel the beats, but he can't hear the words, so sometimes when we're stopped at a light, or after we get out of the car i'll tell him what the song was about, or if i hear some funny lyrics he might like i tell him while he's driving.

It would be nice to have a heads-up text system of some kind that displays text on the windshield.

I've always wanted my passenger to be able to type to me (on a tiny keyboard) and have the text show up at the very bottom of my windshield in a HUD style fashion, showing a few words worth of transparent floating text at a time.

You read highway signs and speedometer all the time, so this is probably the safest way to do things.

Much safer than turning your head away from the road in order to read sign language that your passenger is trying to communicate to you with.

Problem is, setting up a system like this is expensive.

Last edited:
Weirdo said:
wish that there's a radio in your car or stereo at your home with closed caption?
It's possible with RDS-system. All modern radio's have this system. RDS is not only for closed caption, but also for news, weather, or whatever. Any idea for RDS?

Since aural sense use different thought processes than visual senses, I don't think that deaf people will ever have "closed captions" for the driver until being able to drive a car no longer requires driver input.

There's just no way that a person could CONSTANTLY and SAFELY be able to divert their attention from watching the road to reading the news or reading a song. The instant that they become more fascinated with that they're reading is the instant that their eyes are not watching the road and something can happen.

Really, it's the same thing with radio, cell phones, and misbehaving kids in the back seat -- the minute the driver focuses more on the distraction than driving, they become dangerous. The hearing world at large won't stand for their privileges being taken away, but they won't push for eye distractions either. That's why you won't see movie screens in the front that work when the car is driving -- the drivers WILL watch the movie and get in an accident.

Driving directions, speedometers, and gas gauges are all meant to be glanced at and impart instant information -- a momentary distraction that is equal to looking at one's rear view mirrors. Reading is not an instant distraction -- it is ongoing until one is satisfied that they read what they wanted to know.

No way! That's like people driving with their cell phones. There are some people who almost crashed with me and almost hit my car walking looking down. I have had enough with crazy people driving. There are tv now installed in cars in those little things above you for blocking the sun? Some drive with it on. That's putting others in danger already. It would be nice if it would work when the car's not in motion LOL. Reading and driving is crazy. My car swerves when I do other things. I am stupid enough with that already :).

lol, I don't got a CD player/AM FM radio in my car, someone stole it without even breaking a window, they must have used a slim jim to hack in to get in my car. I would care less since it's free from my brother.

I personally don't think it's a bad idea at all, I mean not only to read the words in the music but much more, such as knowing if a storm is coming or nearby, or there's a road being closed on the way home or to where ever you're going to, or something like what we should be aware of in case we missed the news on our way out....

I DO understand that it can cause us to get into a serious car accident but there's also something that can help us know what is going on....

Also, as we all know that when we have a storm coming, and there's no electric , how are we suppose to know what's going on outside or if the storm is really over with?....something we need to think about that would be important to each of us that are unable to hear what they're saying on the radio....that's why I think it's not such a bad idea of having something like this....Maybe that could help saving our lives and our children for that matter....

Maybe there could be a system that would give visual emergency signals to the driver without showing long text lines. For example, a flashing red icon that would indicate a storm warning (maybe a tornado icon), or a closed road ahead (car with a slash over it), etc. That is something that could be quickly noticed without reading. If the Deaf driver knows something is happening, he/she can pull over and check their Hip Top or Blackberry for details.

Maybe something visual could be added to the OnStar system? Add a built-in keyboard and small screen that could be used for emergencies? (Please pull off the road first!)

Sounds like a good idea to me Reba and another thing, not every Deaf/Hard of Hearing has pagers or cellphones....I know I don't....

^Angel^ said:
not every Deaf/Hard of Hearing has pagers or cellphones....I know I don't....
True. I was just trying to imagine different ways new technology might be used.

Not every hearing person has a cell phone either, but sometimes I think all the hearing drivers do when I see them chatting on the highway. Yikes!

Too many hearies have cell phones on 24/7. At the college where I interpret, I see the students always with cell phones, even in the restroom stalls chatting (ugh!).

Or some hearing people have cell phones but don't know how to use them, like my mother-in-law. She feels she must own one, but she never uses it, and never learned how.

Reba, what a great idea about the emergency system! I have a 75% hearing loss, so I do not use a cell phone...does me no good...I gave it up a couple of years ago when it got to where I could no longer hear on one. I can't even hear on my home phone without an inline amplifier on the phone, and even then it's distorted.

I do have a Motorola T900, but it doesn't automatically let me know about emergencies...and even if it did, it would be a distraction to check it while driving...kind of like a cell phone.

Funny, even when I WAS still hearing, I never drove and talked on the cell phone...lol...Heck, I can't even walk and chew gum at the same time, there's no way in this round world I would even consider driving and talking on the cell phone. LOL! I used to always pull off in a parking lot or somewhere.

I have to agree with many of the folks on this thread about the music captioning in the car...I think I would end up wrecked in a ditch if I had something like that. (blush) I do, however, think it would be a nifty thing to have at home. ;-)

new idea

well they should have flashing lights as red is for firetruck, blue is for police, white/ Orange is for amblance at every traffic lights.. I almost got intro accident which I can't hear when the my car window is up.. If there have that, it's would save my life but hearing man stand front of me while I am try to drive but I was like :wtf: so there is amblance and Firetruck.. so I told the man thanks u .. the man saved my life.... :D

There is a patent out there for a neat device to be installed in cars:

For people who are hearing impaired, it will listen for emergency sirens (ambulance, police, fire, etc.) and it will get your attention and point an arrow in the direction of the siren, so you know which way it is coming from. I haven't seen it myself but someone I know who wanted to invent it found out it was already patented.

Dennis said:
There is a patent out there for a neat device to be installed in cars:

For people who are hearing impaired, it will listen for emergency sirens (ambulance, police, fire, etc.) and it will get your attention and point an arrow in the direction of the siren, so you know which way it is coming from. I haven't seen it myself but someone I know who wanted to invent it found out it was already patented.
That would be great for everyone, not just Deaf and HoH. Hearies drive with the stereo blasting, AC running, windows up, can't hear the sirens. Or sometimes I can hear the sirens but I can't tell right away which direction.

I found this:

http://www.listen-up.org/edu/assist.htm#10
For Your Car

There are special devices that will alert a Deaf/HOH driver.

"Hear" the siren of an approaching emergency vehicle and notify the driver with an audible and visual signal. If you purchase a new car, you may even qualify for a 100% reimbursement of the cost of purchase and installation of the device. This program is available from Ford, Saturn, Chrysler, and General Motors Corporation. In an e-mail I received from the president of one of the manufacturers of this device, the VA will pay for it and so will some insurance companies, so even if you aren't in the market for a new car there may be some funding available to you.

Last edited:
Back