Don't stop talking, laughing in class

My dad is a teacher, and if the kids talk while he writes on the board he stops putting notes on the board and gives the notes verbally. Now the kids have to stop talking and pay attention to take the notes which go into a notebook that accounts for around 30% of the semester grade. I say set up a system like this, then whenever the students start talking, give the notes entirely in sign then they have no other option BUT to stop and pay attention or their semester grade suffers.

I agree with the OP. I am taking sign (ASL) from a deaf person and feel regret when my classmates just chat away! I have decided that I am no longer going to respond in voice...ever!! Otherwise, it is too easy to 'default' back to speech for those of us struggling.

John

Ha ha, taser, ha ha ha.
Actually - we are supposed to yell - Taser Taser Taser - before pulling the trigger.
Just a little useless knowledge :)

I say set up a system like this, then whenever the students start talking, give the notes entirely in sign then they have no other option BUT to stop and pay attention
If they use the voice. They ll have to pay 5 cent each time use the voice.
If they talked, they got a pin on their shirt. Who ever had the most pins at the end of the weekend would be punished in a funny way.
I have a sneaky and possibly unfair idea, but I would definitely run it by your supervisor first. If there is a student in your class who is willing to help out, she could keep track of who is causing the disruption, and then you could talk to those students privately. Appeal to their better nature (if they have one!) by explaining about respect for you, for your language, and for your culture, but add that you will be deducting points every time they talk.

Very interesting ideas all!

Rudness should not be tolerated in any classroom!

The ASL class that I'm taking this semester has a few young girls (I say young, because they're 18-20, and I'm 34) that like to chat away in a corner of the room. This has been going on since the beginning of the semester, and there have been times when our teacher (who is Deaf) has caught them, and reprimanded them. Why he hasn't split them up yet, though, I don't understand.

This past Thursday, I'd had enough, and I snapped. *I* confronted them, in front of the entire class (including the teacher), telling them that not only was what they were doing incredibly rude to the teacher, it was rude to the rest of us who could hear them. It's as bad as having someone sitting behind you at the movie theater, who won't shut up during the movie!

One of them started crying, though, and I started to feel like crap... but honestly, I'd taken as much as I could take. I followed up with them after class, and told them that I didn't care whether they spent the rest of the semester hating me, that I (and the majority of the class) were there to learn, and as far as I was concerned, they were only an impediment to that learning.

It just burned me up, because our teacher is SO sweet, and deserves much better than that.

We'll see how class this Tuesday goes! :)

The ASL class that I'm taking this semester has a few young girls (I say young, because they're 18-20, and I'm 34) that like to chat away in a corner of the room. This has been going on since the beginning of the semester, and there have been times when our teacher (who is Deaf) has caught them, and reprimanded them. Why he hasn't split them up yet, though, I don't understand.
Yes, that's puzzling why he doesn't go for the simplest solution first.

...One of them started crying, though, and I started to feel like crap...
Don't worry about it. They're probably spoiled and never had anyone put them in their place before. It might have been a shock to her. :P Maybe she thought her tears would soften you, heh, heh. They'll get over it.

but honestly, I'd taken as much as I could take. I followed up with them after class, and told them that I didn't care whether they spent the rest of the semester hating me, that I (and the majority of the class) were there to learn, and as far as I was concerned, they were only an impediment to that learning.
You and the other students pay good money for that class, and deserve to get your money's worth (not to mention the time that you invest).

Here's hopin'! :)

This past Thursday, I'd had enough, and I snapped. *I* confronted them, in front of the entire class (including the teacher), telling them that not only was what they were doing incredibly rude to the teacher, it was rude to the rest of us who could hear them. It's as bad as having someone sitting behind you at the movie theater, who won't shut up during the movie!

One of them started crying, though, and I started to feel like crap... but honestly, I'd taken as much as I could take. I followed up with them after class, and told them that I didn't care whether they spent the rest of the semester hating me, that I (and the majority of the class) were there to learn, and as far as I was concerned, they were only an impediment to that learning.

It just burned me up, because our teacher is SO sweet, and deserves much better than that.

Good for u to set them straight. Let them go boo boo but I hope it is was a wake up call for them and make them be more considerate for others.

Keep us posted!

My dad is a teacher, and if the kids talk while he writes on the board he stops putting notes on the board and gives the notes verbally. Now the kids have to stop talking and pay attention to take the notes which go into a notebook that accounts for around 30% of the semester grade. I say set up a system like this, then whenever the students start talking, give the notes entirely in sign then they have no other option BUT to stop and pay attention or their semester grade suffers.

That's a wonderful idea. I think the only concern would be for any deaf/hoh students in the class who have trouble taking verbally given notes.

They ll have to pay 5 cent each time use the voice.

:giggle:

My deaf boyfriend is an ASL teacher. The problem he has is people signing in class while he's trying to teach. People talking isn't much of a problem (it's an advanced class,) but in the beginner class there were a lot of bewildered students whispering what they were signing, which is terrible if you're trying to learn.

He usually catches them and tells them to stop. He smiles because he's too damn nice like that. :D But you can tell he's frustrated.

Good for u to set them straight. Let them go boo boo but I hope it is was a wake up call for them and make them be more considerate for others.

Keep us posted!

:giggle:

Just an update: They were TOTALLY silent on Tuesday, not a peep, not a glare, nothing.

Now if it'd just continue for the rest of the semester, I'd be oh-so-happy.

Hey, deaf teachers - you are sweet and nice -I know ~ I am like you but you still have a right to warn a disputive student and get her removed if needed. you can get help from the Dean. They would give you a full support. Hey, hearing students - PLEASE don't hesitate to let the deaf teachers know (after class, talk in private) - they have no idea whats going on. They would do anything to protect you! If I knew it, I could have stopped it much earlier in this Semseter. Now my other students are much happier and so am I :).

I had a problem in my ASL 2 class spring semester. My teacher was Deaf and would frequently voice (which I didn't like so much). When the gossiping in the corner became too disruptive for everyone (and she had had enough of it), she stopped voicing and only signed (which I loved, it's better to learn that way I think). The chatty cathys in the corner were dumbfounded when they actually had to pay attention in order to know what was going on, when homework was due, etc.

Hey, deaf teachers - you are sweet and nice -I know ~ I am like you but you still have a right to warn a disputive student and get her removed if needed. you can get help from the Dean. They would give you a full support. Hey, hearing students - PLEASE don't hesitate to let the deaf teachers know (after class, talk in private) - they have no idea whats going on. They would do anything to protect you! If I knew it, I could have stopped it much earlier in this Semseter. Now my other students are much happier and so am I :).

If I were you... I would ask that student who did not listen to your rule... distruped the class.. i would ask that student to leave the class and give that student "F"

SxyPorkie

Back