Don't like my new MAP!

etalton

Reaction score
Had my first real mapping session last Thursday and I know I have to go back and get a new one. I sat through all the beeps, and my audi asked me to tell her when they got to the point of being "too loud". Trouble is, they didn't. There were some high frequency beeps I just plain didn't like the sound of, but nothing was over loud in beeps. She gave me four programs. Normal, normal with sound reduction, focus and t-mix. She told me it was at the higher level of performance for the processor, and that I might have twitches or ticks in my face if sounds got too loud. But, I thought that would okay since I have control of volume and sensitivity.
The problem is, in real life, they are too much. I have S on 1 and V on 1 and still have sounds that are too loud. On some sounds, I even feel the sound as well as hear it. No twitches or ticks...but sometimes uncomfortable. :cry:
I am getting headaches too, but not sure if that is from the CI volume or my chronic iritis that my eye doctor and I thought was in remission. I am going to have to go back to him to have him check on that as well. Sigh..it is always something.
On the bright side, voices sound less "chipmunky". That is a good thing.

I feel the same way when I got my HA's i guess it just takes time to tweek right , I can understand why , with other parts of the body the doc can see it your way the audi can not hear what you hear the way you hear it.....yet

Gosh. It sounds like alot of us are having problems with being overly sensitive to sound. I'm sorry your new map isn't satisfactory, ET. I would definitely go back and tweak it. You might want to ask your audi to set your frequency level herself so that you don't have to set your C and T levels. This is what my audi did at my last mapping (given my dizziness) and I ended up getting excellent maps (the best maps I've had in 4 years) as a result.

Yeah, Hear Again is right, there's alot of us seems to be having problems... lets hope it improves over time. ((hugs))

Charlotte,

I hope so. I know why I get overly sensitive to sounds (not being able to hear high frequencies for over 20 years and manic episodes), but I hope everyone else is able to find out why they are having the same issues.

Over stimulation is the worst and getting used to sounds your not used to haveing helps with it but the processing to getting their is not pleasant.

I know the feeling! First three months after the initial switch on was hell for me and my auditory memory had great difficulty in adjusting to new sounds. However, I urge you to stay on track and go back to Audi for scheduled remapping sessions and allowing your brain to re-wire sound sensations

Trust me on this, it will get better, better with time and patience. I use my CI for almost 10 years and loves my new MAP software which was recently upgraded to SmartSound2

I know the feeling! First three months after the initial switch on was hell for me and my auditory memory had great difficulty in adjusting to new sounds. However, I urge you to stay on track and go back to Audi for scheduled remapping sessions and allowing your brain to re-wire sound sensations

Trust me on this, it will get better, better with time and patience. I use my CI for almost 10 years and loves my new MAP software which was recently upgraded to SmartSound2

I know...it just does get frustrating sometimes. Another four hour round trip drive to spend half an hour waiting for a half an hour appointment. Even then, I won't know till I get home and "give it a try" if the new map will be better. It is just so different in a quiet office with little noise, etc. Just like when I had my ha...made it so hard to judge how it would work in the "real world".

Thanks Lisa, Charlotte and Kateweb,
I didn't even get a chance to call today. It was my first real day back after vacation and I was busy playing "catch up". It was only slightly better today but there were a few times I just wanted to snatch that processor off my ear and toss it. The worst sound was the industrial paper shredder...and it is right behind where I sit. The sound was loud, but I also felt the vibration as well.

It took me over six months for sounds to become more comfortable and certain sounds like birds singing took even longer for me to get used to it. Sounds of running water seems to take forever to get used to it while volume levels of speech seems to be normal.

Hear again/ et, i have personal question to ask is it possible to email yous?? Regards

Etalton,

Sorry you are having trouble with your new MAPs. I'm sure it is frustrating with traveling so far and getting little in return as far as improved hearing ability. With voices not sounding so high pitch, you still adjusting to the new inputs. My first CI took major changes at week 3 when everything shifted at once. My second CI is taking a lot longer to make the adjustment. This coming Friday will be 8 weeks post activation but is getting better every day. Looks like you received your CI about a month before I got my Bilateral CI.

I also apologize for this being so long, maybe it will help you or give someone else on the site a different approach.

Have you checked with your audi to see if there is another office closer to where you live? Maybe a University. Have you checked with the I would think any audi with the program and hardware should be able to help you. Of course, it might be odd to ask for this option and maybe the costs would be different for the appointment but if there is some place closer who could work with you, it might be easier.

I don't want to make recommendations but during the programming session, did they have you compare each of the loud frequencies to make sure they were really close to the same volume? Up until this past session for me, I use to compare 3 at a time and make adjustments from there but this past Friday, we used 5 at a time and I would only make up or down adjustments to the last 2 to make sure I had them set right. This was a so much easier for me to make sure I had them right. We also had to make a few adjustments by "tilting" the C levels to make voices sound better and did a pretty good job this time. This also took some of the frequencies/voices and brought them down from the higher pitch "chipmunk" level. Not drastic, just a little closer to what my first CI hears and what I remember my natural hearing was like. What was more interesting is hearing each electrode at max C level was somewhat different at 80% max C level. At 80%, my hearing sounds like an out of tune piano where at 100%, it sounds pretty good. This may also be why voices sometime don't quite sound right at normal volume.

I am surprised that you mention your appointment is 30 minutes. For me, we really don't get started that quickly because we are going over what I can hear and what I have trouble hearing. We also talk about what changes I want to make and I try to explain what I am trying to learn from making the changes. My appointments are generally late in the day, prefer the last appointment so if I run long which almost always happens, I'm not bumping another patient. My audi has said she likes this because I push her with the program and "play" with it, use features that don't get changed with many patients to see if I notice any improvement. We try things just to see how it changes what I can hear. I've wondered if bringing a radio would be helpful and think I will during my next appointment since that offers more sound than just our voices.

This past Friday, I also took a chance and tried a 900 speed that I knew I didn't like with my first CI. I was really thinking it was going to be a stretch to even use it. Surprisingly, I am really amaised in how comfortable it is to use and how much I can hear with it. I also had a 2400 speed programmed and it too is easy and comfortable to use. I can't for the life of me figure out why I am having a hard time adapting to the 1800 which I use exclusively in my other ear and have used in this ear since I was activated. It's good but not great.

As far as new MAPs, I ALWAYS keep my best and most used program from before and keep it as a back up just in case I can't seam to adjust to the new ones. I may change it from Autosensitivity to manual controls but I keep it.

I can really say that having my second implant has really opened my eyes to the extreme variations each person can have. This also is helping me understand why so many people may respond so differently to activation and how they progress with their CI.

For me, the CI works great and from what I read on the board, it is helping many users. It does take time to get adjusted to and by no means is it perfect which we all understand but in my opinion, it beats the alternative. If things are not progressing as you would like, it may be time to talk with your audiologist to see if they want to schedule a longer appointment or take a few steps backwards and try a different approach. Again, I always keep my previous best MAP just in case.

Steve

Etalton,

I am surprised that you mention your appointment is 30 minutes. For me, we really don't get started that quickly because we are going over what I can hear and what I have trouble hearing. We also talk about what changes I want to make and I try to explain what I am trying to learn from making the changes. My appointments are generally late in the day, prefer the last appointment so if I run long which almost always happens, I'm not bumping another patient. My audi has said she likes this because I push her with the program and "play" with it, use features that don't get changed with many patients to see if I notice any improvement. We try things just to see how it changes what I can hear. I've wondered if bringing a radio would be helpful and think I will during my next appointment since that offers more sound than just our voices.

Steve

I am with steve on this, all my appts is always 3 pm since i like to keep them busy with my tune ups!!! My tune ups generally takes up to 1 and half hour never less than an hour, there is also talks about likes/dislikes of sounds, 3 beeps checks, and tune up of all maps except one map as it's excatly same as before so i can go back if i don't like new maps.

Like steve says do you have teaching university around you?. My CI centre is part of university.

My daughter gets eye twitching if her map is set too loud. We'd leave the audi's office ok, but within weeks she would start getting facial stim when set at the normal volume, and we would have to continually lower it so it would be comfortable.

Finally, the audiologist was able to go through and check electrode by electrode until he found the one(s) that were causing it. He would keep raising it until we detected the eye twitch (through speech, not the beeps), and then he would lower it to where it didn't cause it.

Usually she has at least a couple that cause the facial stim, and for her, it's all in the low frequencies. She has a malformed cochlea, so sometimes the thresholds shift so they can increase the volume without causing it, but then other times it shifts the opposite way and they have to lower again.

MAPing can be a pain and requires time and patience and trial and error. Do keep copies of what the audies do to your processor each time. I basically was on the " fast path" in my MAPings so I could get it over and done with. With the new Opus 2 model I am getting Friday, I am sure my brain will regret it . And I also look forward to the FM boot and the remote control . FINALLY !

ET,

I know it's easier said than done, but try to hang in there! It wasn't until my audi turned off 6 high frequency electrodes on each CI that I was able to hear better than I ever have before. I never realized how much better I could hear until my audi made these changes. It may take some time to find that close to perfect map (since there is no such thing as a perfect map), but once you do, the wait will definitely be worth it!

Also, don't let the audie tell you they know best, they dont know squat sometimes. Learn everything you can about your implant brand, call the company that manufactered your implant and ask for more detailed information.

If you need to ET, request that a rep from Cochlear attend one of your mappings. They have plenty of experience in helping to resolve problems. Good luck!

Back