Don't let school put you in Special Ed class

I went to a special school in grade 1 because I couldn't really talk properly yet. I loved it. I have dysgraphia so I wrote very badly but I was far above my age in maths and science. The school let parents come in part of the time so my mother used to come in and help me. I was doing grade 7 maths and science and it was great. I must have been lucky.

Then in grade 2 I went to my father and he put me in mainstream school and I was very badly bullied until grade 5 when I was allowed to be homeschooled.

I always wished I could go back to the special school.

Do you mean Deaf school instead of Special school? I was never allowed to go into Deaf school which is unique to me. I had grown up with mainstream schools with no accommodations. I am sorry that you had been bullied by hearing children. Am I correct on this? :(

I mean special school for my autism. I'm HOH but not completely deaf yet. My hearing is getting worse though and my audiologist mentioned future cochlear implants but with reasonably bad auditory processing disorder and severe phobia of white noise I don't think I will ever want them. I think she has a nerve telling my partner that I will have CI in the future.

Do you mean Deaf school instead of Special school? I was never allowed to go into Deaf school which is unique to me. I had grown up with mainstream schools with no accommodations. I am sorry that you had been bullied by hearing children. Am I correct on this? :(

I am sure the OP know what they're talking about. :roll:

Yes the bullies had perfect hearing and no disabilities that I know of. I never fought back except one time I finally cracked and lost it and I ended up expelled and home schooled after that. I still have psychiatric issues from the severity of abuse I received in school both from other kids and teachers.

I went through deaf education classes, but it was boring. I wanted more mainstreamed classes. I told the director of the county deaf education I went to Gallaudet and then got a MS graduate degree. She was so upset when I explained her program sucked....

special education and deaf don't mix. Deaf education is the most controversial part of special education since 99 percent of spec education teachers are not trained in deaf education.

I went through deaf education classes, but it was boring. I wanted more mainstreamed classes. I told the director of the county deaf education I went to Gallaudet and then got a MS graduate degree. She was so upset when I explained her program sucked....

special education and deaf don't mix. Deaf education is the most controversial part of special education since 99 percent of spec education teachers are not trained in deaf education.

As long as you can get ASL interpreters in the mainstream schools, then it would be fine for you learn subject or topics in the hearing classrooms.

Back then with Special Education, we did not have special accommodations to help us understand in hearing classrooms at all, ever. That is why I hate Special Education. I really prefer Deaf program where they already have teachers who can sign ASL or need ASL interpreters in our Deaf classrooms so that we can understand when we want to learn subjects or topics. Don't forget notetakers, too. We need that.

You have to compare between the two of them. Today I know there are some ASL interpreters in hearing classrooms in mainstream schools. That is good. But if some hearing schools refuse to hire ASL interpreters, then you get stuck not knowing what the teachers are teaching and also not be able to understand hearing students talking with the teachers. That is the whole point.

If you don't like being in Deaf classrooms in the Deaf school, then you need ASL interpreters in mainstream schools if you are lucky. See my point? :hmm:

When was this? I definitely think that something like 90% of dhh kids should start out in Deaf ed,(for preschool, kindergarten and then first/second grades) to provide a good solid base/bridge for mainstreaming ... Regional/magnet programs would take care of a lot of the kids....(where they're at a hearing school, but there's also a deaf ed focus)
And you're so right.....deaf ed is only covered nominally in special ed courses.......

mid 1980s

When was this? I definitely think that something like 90% of dhh kids should start out in Deaf ed,(for preschool, kindergarten and then first/second grades) to provide a good solid base/bridge for mainstreaming ... Regional/magnet programs would take care of a lot of the kids....(where they're at a hearing school, but there's also a deaf ed focus)
And you're so right.....deaf ed is only covered nominally in special ed courses.......

Back