"Don't interpret that - it was a joke"

I don't make that assumption. The thing that translates the worst from one language to another is humor. If I'm working with a client who is fluent in ASL and not as strong in English, I don't ever assume that he would get a joke made in English. Jokes are one of the most difficult things to interpret. The same goes for any two languages, not just ASL and English, and it has nothing to do with intelligence, just language and culture. If the client is fully proficient in English, though, then it's a different story.

One of my most satisfying moments came when I was a student interpreter doing a volunteer religious gig for a friend, and I managed to interpret a joke told in English into ASL quickly enough that she laughed at the same time as the hearing people. That made such an impression I remember it to this day.

No no, not u or the interpreters or the captioners...I mean the professors who made that comment...

I seen "Don't type that - it was a joke" relayed to me a couple times.

Hahah

Richard

I seen "Don't type that - it was a joke" relayed to me a couple times.

Hahah

Richard

That reminds me of the time I was on the phone with my ex roommate via relay.(she is HOH but uses a regular phone) Relay heard her talking shit about me to someone else in the background. (relay typed everything my ex roommate said to the other person) When I saw her in person later that day, I confronted her about it. She was all ZOMG IT IS ILLEGAL FOR RELAY TO DO THAT BECAUSE IT IS NOT THEIR BUSINESS WHAT GOES ON IN THE BACKGROUND!!!!!!!1111ELEVENTYONE!!!1111

I calmly said: "Well, if I was a hearing person and I was on the phone with you I would still hear what you said to the other person in the background anyway, and relay are supposed to type what they heard in background (noises, other people talking, etc) and that it's been a rule for a long time."

She still threw a shitfit, though. Needless to say, I have not spoken to her in over 2 years and I am perfectly happy with that!

Same here thats what interpreter (second operating) have to say everything cos interpreter giving the Deaf people a earful so thats why Deaf people can use interpreter's ear and voice.

Reliable and Honest Interpreter!!!

I called the YMCA thru the interpreter. The lady answered and found out who I was. She made SIGH sounds as if she was SICK of me. My interpreter asked her if she wanted to tell me that and she said No, no don't tell her that. She told her she had no choice but she had told "...(me)..." and needed to know it. The other party was silent and then make an apology.

Guess what this party was been careful with me since then. A worthwhile lesson. I am sure not just me but all the Deaf really want to know whats going on as long as we are in the scene. We are HUMAN and we have a right to know what's going on, not SiDED information.

Sqrrl.

Back