Don't have CapTel? Here is how to get something similar

rushabh

Reaction score
Requirements
--------------
1) Computer.
2) Voice phone line with 3-way conference calling feature.
3) Voice phone with 3-way conference calling capability.
3) Internet connection (preferably broadband. otherwise dial-up through separate line).

PSEUDO-CAPTEL HOW-TO
-------------------------------
1) Connect to internet relay service (relay.att.com or sprintrelayonline.com)
2) Have the operator call YOUR voice phone number.
3) When phone rings/flashes, pick up the phone and acknowledge the operator by saying "Please hold".
4) Enable 3-way conference calling on your phone.
5) Dial the number of the hearing person you want to call.
6) When other person answers the phone, read the computer screen for the operator's text translation of what the other person said.
7) Respond accordingly.
8) Repeat steps 6-7 to conduct conversation until the end.

When you connect to the relay service, make sure to instruct the operator to mute his/her end AND to type only what the hearing person is saying (the operator will know who is you by hearing your voice when you acknowledge him/her when you pick up the phone).

This is the best way to have a PURE, UNADULTERATED PHONE CONVERSATION with another hearing person. The hearing person will not know the operator is online (since that end is muted) and will not know that you are deaf (unless you have a Russian-Hindi-Spanish-Klingon-Vulcan type of accent).

You will NOT need to deal with "GA" or "SK" or "Explaining relay service" or any other bullshit often associated with telemarketing calls which often form the basis for abrupt hang-ups on you.

Captel simplifies the above method a LOT and I have been using it for a long time now. Is there a mobile CapTel solution out there? I am not sure if the Sidekick will do a voice conference call AND internet relay at the same time?

Ack. While I realize this method sounds great on paper, CapTel's technology FAR outstrips the speed of typing through Relay. I mean, the traditional relay services only type at about 60 words per minute, and CapTel approaches 150 with the voice recognition technology.

Whatever floats your boat, but I'd advise those who really want CapTel to really pressure CapTel Inc for a spot on their trial or to pressure your state government to make CapTel service available in your state.

Ice: Which state are you trialing for?

Dennis said:
Ack. While I realize this method sounds great on paper, CapTel's technology FAR outstrips the speed of typing through Relay. I mean, the traditional relay services only type at about 60 words per minute, and CapTel approaches 150 with the voice recognition technology.

Whatever floats your boat, but I'd advise those who really want CapTel to really pressure CapTel Inc for a spot on their trial or to pressure your state government to make CapTel service available in your state.

Ice: Which state are you trialing for?

I agree with you that CapTel is far superior to the alternative method described above and I would definitely recommend CapTel to anyone who can get it. However, I don't think that everyone can get it and I also like to have insurance for the unlikely event that CapTel is not renewed or goes away. In addition, I used the alternative method before I found out about Captel; so before I had CapTel, the alternative method worked fine for me although it was somewhat cumbersome.

I don't want to be dependent too much on CapTel if the government decides not to make it permanent or if the service somehow goes away. Yes the alternative method is much slower but hey, would you rather go back to VCO-TTY combo or would you prefer to have something similar to CapTel?

Back