Dominate Progressive Hearing Loss

Deafinoregon

Reaction score
I suffer from this, just wanted to know if anyone else has it as well. I'm in my last stages and my tty is coming soon.

I suffer from this, just wanted to know if anyone else has it as well. I'm in my last stages and my tty is coming soon.

yep,I do suffer from genetic and progressive loss. Most members of my father's side has this genetic loss. I think it is mainly because of cousing marriages that were common in my father's side in the past.

My lost was 60 dbl when I first wore a hearing aid. Now,it is 92 dbl in both ears and I am slowly going deaf .

My lost was 60 dbl when I first wore a hearing aid. Now,it is 92 dbl in both ears and I am slowly going deaf .

Uhhh... "are going?" You *are* deaf in the clinical sense. :)

Sensory Neural Progressive in my family (mom's side), so there's a few of us in the family.

Thanks for the reply!

How are you taking it?
I've had three years to come to terms with my genetic deafness, it was a hard three years but what else can i do but accept it?
I've lost all my low tones and i only have 6% of my high ones left. My world is slowly turning coldly silent. I can't hear myself talk and I'm losing verbal functioning. ( Meaning knowledge of Voice) but i do know i'm talking by the vibration. I had a full stapleledectomy done on my left ear but it didn't offer me hearing. My body attact it ( foreign object)
Both of my parents are legally deaf, i have two hearing brothers and three hearing children.
However my middle child is losing her hearing, she's in the first stages.

Well, in my family it seems to start at a moderately earl age, around 7-9 and it slowly progresses (altho i'd hardly call it "progress" :) ) over a few years.

Since both my mom and dad were deaf and my mom's side had her sisters/brothers (4 of 6) as well as her mother.. it wasn't totally unexpected since my older brother experienced it first... for me, personally, it sort of just happened, so to speak.

As a result, i've experienced an interesting spectrum of both the deaf and Deaf worlds. It's all about how one chooses to accept and deal with it. My background more or less made the transition to Deaf much easier.

My deafness was very unexpected, being that my two brothers have excellent hearing.. well I got it being the third, last and only girl in my family. I started losing my hearing at about age nine and didn't realize it. It soon became a problem in my early twenties when my girls were babies. I couldn't hear them cry, which sent me to the doctors!
My exhusband couldn't understand why i didn't get up with the girls and feed them. I was lost for an explanation. A great deal of responsibility was put on my ex. At that time i couldn't face my diagnosis I was in total denial. I kept telling myself that they have to be wrong not me!
Well here i am at age 38 and I'm almost completely deaf. I basically stepped into an unkown world face first without being aware it was coming.
Alot of tears and heart ache led me to acceptance of being deaf.

My deafness was very unexpected, being that my two brothers have excellent hearing.. well I got it being the third, last and only girl in my family. I started losing my hearing at about age nine and didn't realize it. It soon became a problem in my early twenties when my girls were babies. I couldn't hear them cry, which sent me to the doctors!
My exhusband couldn't understand why i didn't get up with the girls and feed them. I was lost for an explanation. A great deal of responsibility was put on my ex. At that time i couldn't face my diagnosis I was in total denial. I kept telling myself that they have to be wrong not me!
Well here i am at age 38 and I'm almost completely deaf. I basically stepped into an unkown world face first without being aware it was coming.
Alot of tears and heart ache led me to acceptance of being deaf.

Same here :( and here is my hugs .. My siblings(two sisters and one brother also have perfect hearing)..I am the only hoh/deaf among my cousins. I am 32 and hearing loss has taken a 'profound' role in my life since 26 years of age ,I guess.. I too had difficulty to explain my hoh/deaf state to my relatives.. I even had problems with my own mother :( Accepting myself being deaf/hoh was an extremely painful 'storm' in my soul and heart,as well :|

Stay tuned ,friend :hug: You are still yourself. Being deaf/hoh has enriched my world.. In emotional sense,I got so much 'gain' :) I am sure you could see it,as well.

Always try to see life in positive ways :hug:

P.S.
If you still want to hear to some extend then there is a cochlear implant option for you. Have you heard of this option ? Some 'Deafies' prefer sign language (deaf culture) and some other 'deafies' prefer hearing aid and/or cochlear implants. I respect both ways :)

Well, in my family it seems to start at a moderately earl age, around 7-9 and it slowly progresses (altho i'd hardly call it "progress" :) ) over a few years.

Since both my mom and dad were deaf and my mom's side had her sisters/brothers (4 of 6) as well as her mother.. it wasn't totally unexpected since my older brother experienced it first... for me, personally, it sort of just happened, so to speak.

As a result, i've experienced an interesting spectrum of both the deaf and Deaf worlds. It's all about how one chooses to accept and deal with it. My background more or less made the transition to Deaf much easier.

I couldn't have a spectrum in my life. My 'environment' has always forced me to function in hearing world.. I couldn't enjoy 'Deaf' world :|

Uhhh... "are going?" You *are* deaf in the clinical sense. :)

Sensory Neural Progressive in my family (mom's side), so there's a few of us in the family.

hm... you are right in the clinical sense but I can hear and understand speech somewhat with help of my digital aids but I cannot even hear normal speech without heairing aids.. so you are right I am a deaf who functions in hearing world.

Important Question..

Do you or have you experienced learing problems because of your deafness?
I have struggled with this ( not being able to hear in class, vision problems)
I didn't realize how much i didn't hear, let alone know that i had hearing loss as a child. Just curious

Do you or have you experienced learing problems because of your deafness?
I have struggled with this ( not being able to hear in class, vision problems)
I didn't realize how much i didn't hear, let alone know that i had hearing loss as a child. Just curious

If people prefer speech without writing then I am lost :|
Therefore,I had difficulty when my lecturers preferred not to write on the chalkboard :rl: I also had much of trouble in exams when my teachers only wanted to 'speak' 'questions'.. it used to drive me mad :mad... Occasionally, some people used to tend to consider me 'stupid' at university..

I really don't know when my loss has started. but When I was at the first school ( between 6 and 11) I hadn't 'significant' problems. I was able to understand even whispers . I miss that time so much :(

When I was 13, my loss became significant and I had to wear my first hearing aid.

Of course, we don't realize how much we lost if we don't remember old days.

To me my deafness happened for a reason, only God knows why. the most positive thing i can do is leave it up to him to sort out and live each day as it comes. I see the end result ( totally deaf) as my only option. I've read about the cochlear implant, and being a person who has to many surgeries, I've rejected the idea. Hearing aids bring to much background noise into the picture and it's to frustrating. I don't do good on a one on one conversation, I'm to am lost in spoken speech. I use to be ok carrying a one on one conversation but not anymore. I use to be able to read lips ok but that's history as well.
For those of you that are considering the cochlear i totally respect your decision, it's just not for me.

Back